Gransnet forums

Books/book club

2022 50 BOOKS - OR AS MANY AS YOU CAN MANAGE

(738 Posts)
TerriBull Sun 02-Jan-22 16:18:05

Happy New Year readers, welcome to the new 2022 "50" books challenge. All readers are welcome, as always that figure is aspirational, don't let that number deter you if you wish to partake and don't think you will reach that number, it really doesn't matter.

Please come to this thread to tell us what you are reading, whether you liked it or not. I would also mention audio/Audible can also be included in your tally.

Here's to a new year of enjoyable reading.

Humduh Tue 03-May-22 12:36:46

Hi. I decided to attempt this when it was posted. I have lost my way a bit and mislaid my list of books to read but probably read about twenty. Many were recommended by a popular women's magazine. One by Dawn French I found decent quality.

Hellogirl1 Tue 03-May-22 19:21:43

Book 39, There Was a Time, by Frank White. It`s more like a collection of short stories than a novel, it`s based on his own memories of life in WW2, set in a Lincolnshire village. I wouldn`t madly recommend it, but it`s OK.

Hellogirl1 Thu 05-May-22 17:54:49

Ended up quite enjoying There was a Time. Now reading book 40, A Daughter`s Journey, by Anna Jacobs, really like it.

Juno56 Sat 07-May-22 16:08:37

#29 An Argumentation of Historians Jodi Taylor.
Number 9 in the marvellous Chronicles of St Mary's series. Very good.

Hellogirl1 Sat 07-May-22 21:03:54

Loved A Daughter`s Journey, now on book 41, A Woman`s Promise, loving it.

Calendargirl Mon 09-May-22 17:56:33

#28. The Swimming Pool by Louise Candlish.

Hellogirl1 Wed 11-May-22 17:36:50

Book 42 was Darkhouse, by Alex Barclay, her first book, and it was very good. Now on book 43, Blue Monday, by Nicci French. I wasn`t too sure for a while, but enjoying it now.

Hellogirl1 Thu 12-May-22 17:34:39

I loved Blue Monday, it had a sting in it`s tail though. I`m now reading book 44, The Light Between Oceans, by M.L.Stedman. I`ve read a lot of praise for this book, so looking forward to reading it.

Cs783 Fri 13-May-22 06:49:35

#29 Louise Candlish ‘’Our House’ How to lose your marriage, money and future … for me, overlong and not quite gripping.

SueDonim Fri 13-May-22 15:10:44

15 The Black Prince by Michael Jones. A biography of Edward the Black Prince. I’ve always been fascinated by him because I regularly used to walk past his tomb in Canterbury cathedral, where his achievements were on display. I really enjoyed this account of his life.

Sara1954 Fri 13-May-22 18:15:20

Hellogirl
The Light Between Oceans is a wonderful book, and the film was done really well.
I’m certain you’re going to enjoy it.

Musicgirl Fri 13-May-22 23:53:12

#34 was The Life of Stuff by Susannah Walker. An interesting look at how the author’s mother became a hoarder.
#35 was Bang in the Middle by Robert Shore. A look at the author’s native Midlands and what it means to be a Midlander.
#36 was The Man Who Died Twice by Richard Osman. I enjoyed this even more than the original Thursday Murder Club.

Hellogirl1 Sat 14-May-22 17:07:47

I loved The Light Between Oceans, wish I`d seen the film now. Book 45 is going to be A Daughter`s Ruin, by Kitty Neale.

Hellogirl1 Sun 15-May-22 21:20:41

Loved A Daughter`s Ruin. Have just started book 46, Next to You, by Gloria Hunniford, a biography of he daughter Caron.

Juno56 Mon 16-May-22 12:17:35

#30 The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
Jonas Jonasson.
A lovely funny book. The protagonist climbs out of his care home window to avoid his 100th birthday party. The chapters about what happened next are alternated with chapters about his life leading up to his 'escape'. Forrest Gump had nothing on him! Recommended.

Cs783 Tue 17-May-22 21:08:55

#30 Tricia Cresswell ‘The Midwife’ Something of a historical misery memoir. Convincing accounts of Victorian ugly realities faced by women in particular, softened only by being seen through reformist eyes.

Hellogirl1 Fri 20-May-22 07:33:35

Next to You was a very emotional read, but recommended. Now reading book 47, Those in Peril, by Wilbur Smith.

Calendargirl Fri 20-May-22 08:26:19

#29. Dead At First Sight by Peter James.

Hellogirl1 Fri 20-May-22 11:34:13

I love the Roy Grace books.

Juno56 Sun 22-May-22 17:45:12

#31 Hope For The Best Jodi Taylor.
Number 10 in the St Mary's Chronicles. I love this series and this one did not disappoint.
#32 The Dark Archive Genevieve Cogman.
Number 7 in another cracking series, The Invisible Library.

AliBeeee Mon 23-May-22 18:44:33

I’ve been a bit remiss in posting my updates. I have enjoyed my latest lot, they are:
15. Cunning Women by Elizabeth Lee. It redeemed itself towards the end with some good twists.
16. All Adults Here by Emma Straub. The first of her’s I’ve read and I really enjoyed it. Similar to Anne Tyler, but a bit more actually happens.. I will look out for others.
17. The Japanese Lover by Isabelle Allende. Another good read from this author.
18. The Madonna of the Mountains by Elise Valmorbida. Another author that was new to me which I really enjoyed.
19. Grandmothers by Sally Vickers. Another good read.
20. Containment by Vanda Simon. A police procedural set in Dunedin. Another author I hadn’t read before. I enjoyed it and it brought back great memories of the area.
21. Benediction by Kent Haruf. Beautiful, as all his are.

Cs783 Mon 23-May-22 21:59:13

#31 Kate Atkinson ‘A God in Ruins’ it’s a companion piece to ‘Life After Life’ so I indulged in a rereading.

Cs783 Mon 23-May-22 22:02:34

#32 Kate Atkinson ‘Life After Life’ rereading

Hellogirl1 Tue 24-May-22 11:23:26

Those in Peril was brilliant, can highly recommend it for fans of action stories, a bit violent though.
I`m now almost at the end of book 48, The Reluctant Heiress, by Dilly Court. Enjoying it, and love her books, but the titles are always a bit fanciful.

Musicgirl Fri 27-May-22 09:07:12

#37 was The Man Who Vanished and The Dog Who Waited by Kate High. An enjoyable murder mystery.
#38 was The Last Reunion by Kayte Nunn. This is my favourite book of the year so far. It tells of a group of young women who enlisted in a little known branch of the services in the Far East in the Second World War and a reunion on the eve of the millennium. There is a mystery surrounding a rare and valuable netsuke and also a weaving in skilfully with a modern young woman. I found it unputdownable.
#39 was Chief Complaint: Can’t Find Toilet Paper by Kerry Hamm. This is a book of hair-raising anecdotes from the emergency services, mostly in the USA. I enjoyed it.