Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The children’s book you remember best

(475 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Tue 22-Mar-22 09:36:25

There are so many wonderful children’s books these days, from The Gruffalo to Amelia Fang, Gangsta Granny to Alex Rider.
But is there one book which made a special impact on you as a child?
For me it will always be Charlotte’s Web. It was read to me when I had Scarlet Fever , maybe not the ideal choice as I cried and cried, but for me a story I will never forget.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 29-Mar-22 18:34:20

Does anyone remember a small book called "Dr Owl's Party"? I remember loving it when my mother read it to me, but I can't remember who wrote it.

Thank you to those who reminded me of the Pookie books. So many of us are fortunate in having so many happy memories of books from our childhoods!

NotSpaghetti Sat 02-Apr-22 21:50:36

I had Dr Owl's Party too! Don't remember it with the same fondness but do remember it.

NotSpaghetti Sat 02-Apr-22 21:54:50

Ali23

There are so many, but the one that I remember having read to us at the end of each day by our teacher was Stig of the Dump. It was just brilliant!

Yes. Great story!

NotSpaghetti Sat 02-Apr-22 21:59:42

I fell in love with Georgette Heyer at about 12 or 13 and read my way through every one.
Heyer was my "Enid Blyton" in that I read nothing else till I'd run out of options!

Callistemon21 Sat 02-Apr-22 22:43:32

Heidi by Joanna Spyri was a favourite.
I still have the hardback edition somewhere.

MissAdventure Sun 03-Apr-22 00:18:57

Was it Lucy Atwell who illustrated the pony books.
Chubby ponies, and freckle schoolgirls with aspirations to train her naughty pony in time to win a rosette?
I used to love those pictures.

MissAdventure Sun 03-Apr-22 00:22:33

I had a beautifully illustrated story book of 'The little match girl'.

I opened it, and realised I couldn't read all the words, so I tried everyday until I could.
It's such a sad tale. .I could weep thinking about it.

Wheniwasyourage Sun 03-Apr-22 15:01:55

Thank you NotSpaghetti! I had completely forgotten who wrote "Dr Owl's Party" and thank you for posting the picture too. flowers

This is such a lovely thread. smile

busybeejay Sun 03-Apr-22 15:59:35

Little Grey Rabbit for me too.I still have my battered copy of LGR Makes Lace.I loved this so much I went on to lacemaking myself.
Just shows what a book can do.

Grammy666 Tue 05-Jul-22 22:07:04

Heidi, Just William, Anything by Enid Blyton, Bunty Annual ..

NotSpaghetti Tue 05-Jul-22 22:34:39

If I'm only allowed one book it's The Wierdstone of Brisingamin by Alan Garner.

Did not like Enid Blyton on the whole.

NotSpaghetti Tue 05-Jul-22 22:35:46

"The Weirdstone of Brisingamen" (sp) sorry

kircubbin2000 Wed 06-Jul-22 08:32:13

The one I remember was a very old book my cousin had in his attic.It looked as if it was written in 1920s and had pictures of a dinosaur called a Dilemma. Horns of a Dilemma. I've never been able to identify it but that attic was full of magic stuff, guns, swords, railway set and his grandads old army uniform.Great fun.

Clawdy Sat 16-Jul-22 08:00:54

Milly Molly Mandy. I so wanted to live in that " nice white cottage with the thatched roof" and her lovely big family!

mummytummy Tue 19-Jul-22 14:28:48

The Secret Island by Enid Blyton and all the “Jackie” books by Judith M Berrisford. Few years back I decided to collect them all again from car boot sales, charity shops etc., still enjoy reading them today ?

TwiceAsNice Tue 19-Jul-22 14:35:38

Black Beauty. Also read it to my grandchildren and they loved it too, Ginger made the one cry!

Also Enid Blyton’s The Boy next door and Shadow the Sheepdog , Shadow made me cry buckets when he hurt his eyes

TwiceAsNice Tue 19-Jul-22 14:41:48

I just remembered when I was a bit older my favourite of all time was The Chalet School series by Elinor M Brent-Dyer. I still have them

sodapop Tue 19-Jul-22 15:33:51

I liked that series as well Twiceasnice also Enid Blyton Rockingdown mystery, Rilloby Fair mystery etc. My mother had a very old victorian book called Bonny. About a little orphan girl. I read it several times and always cried.

p0Sy Tue 26-Jul-22 10:10:52

Gin, I remember the Dimsie books. They were by Dorita Fairlie Bruce. They were set just after the Great War. I loved them and identified very much with Rosalind (the one that always cried!)

hollysteers Thu 11-Aug-22 20:57:56

Just come across this lovely thread.
Water Babies and the scene where the boy came down the chimney covered in soot into the snow white bedroom was magical.
I practically lived in the local library and used to stagger home with Arthur Mee’s encyclopaedias in a string bag.
I still read and collect children’s books, with a particular penchant for pop up books.
The Little House on the Prairie books have been banned in America for their attitude to native Americans.
Also, many thanks for the reminder of the Jalna series. How I loved them and their distinctive covers.

pandapatch Thu 11-Aug-22 21:55:55

Oh yes, Shadow the Sheepdog and Heidi. Also Treasures of the Snow by Patricia St. John

Hetty58 Thu 11-Aug-22 22:14:48

Tarka the Otter - it had a lasting deep meaning for me, about the cruelty of life, nature - and man.

MayBee70 Thu 11-Aug-22 22:59:06

Hetty58

Tarka the Otter - it had a lasting deep meaning for me, about the cruelty of life, nature - and man.

He wouldn’t let Disney have the film rights would he as he didn’t want them to Disneyfy it! But the film that was made was heartbreaking. I seem to remember reading a lot of books about otters but they all had tragic endings!

happycatholicwife1 Thu 11-Aug-22 23:38:47

Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy and The Camel With The Wrinkled Knees. Alice in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass.

annemarg Sun 14-Aug-22 11:22:13

The Secret Garden
Famous Five
Little Women
Heidi