Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The children’s book you remember best

(479 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Tue 22-Mar-22 09:36:25

There are so many wonderful children’s books these days, from The Gruffalo to Amelia Fang, Gangsta Granny to Alex Rider.
But is there one book which made a special impact on you as a child?
For me it will always be Charlotte’s Web. It was read to me when I had Scarlet Fever , maybe not the ideal choice as I cried and cried, but for me a story I will never forget.

Yammy Thu 24-Nov-22 19:56:47

FannyCornforth

As a very little girl, the Little Grey Rabbit books by Alison Uttley.
The illustrations are perfection.
This was the first one that I read

They were mine too. I spent rather a lot of money on a very old copy of" Christmas at the Rose and Crown." I loved the idea of having a stream in your room to get washed.
When a little older "My naughty Little sister", by Dorothy Edwards because I didn't have one. I have a set I still read to the grand Children.

Clawdy Thu 24-Nov-22 19:23:36

Witzend that is hilarious, I love the sound of your dad!

Iam64 Wed 23-Nov-22 13:26:41

Heidi, famous five, secret seven

Madgran77 Wed 23-Nov-22 13:17:43

Heidi and The Famous Five

zign Wed 23-Nov-22 01:52:47

Wow, you did such an amazing job with such a small space. It looks outstanding! <a href="https://zlibrary.to/">zlibrary</a>

zign Wed 23-Nov-22 01:51:29

This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. [url=https://zlibrary.to/]zlibrary[/url]

Geordiegirl1 Thu 03-Nov-22 21:30:35

Early on - Milly Molly Mandy.
Tanglewood Tales.
Mallory Towers - help!

DollyD Thu 03-Nov-22 21:15:36

Winnie the Pooh, I can remember my Father reading to us every night and chuckling to himself while reading this book to me and my sister.

Edith3 Thu 03-Nov-22 21:09:17

Enid Blyton's The Secret Island for me. A seven year old's dream life but a sixty two year old's disappointment.
WARNING beware what you revisit.

Lovetopaint037 Sun 18-Sep-22 09:53:05

Little Women and Good Wives.

maxlakonsky Fri 02-Sep-22 15:52:52

I remember best the children’s book that my grandmother used to read to me. It was called “The Story of Ferdinand” and it was about a bull who didn’t want to fight in bullfights. I loved the book because it was so different from anything else I had ever read. It wasn’t just a story about a bull, it was a story about peace and non-violence. I think that’s why I remember it so well, because it was such an important book for me when I was growing up. My grandmother died when I was very young, but I still have the book and I still read it to my own children now. It’s a book that has been passed down through our family for generations and it’s one that I will always treasure....

gagsy Wed 17-Aug-22 10:51:45

Little Grey Rabbit, Enid Blyton and Ballet Shoes

MildredRosa Tue 16-Aug-22 15:06:39

Its exciting to recall your childhood, and sharing with others. my favorites books were: Wizard of Oz by L . Frank, Harry potter by J.K Rowling. I used to read a lot of comics books and many other books. I love reading books till now which has helped me to open my mind and improve my language skills, learned new terminologies and best of all is learning which I realize now. still if i get a chance to read my favorite books i will read again. Being a book writer by profession, I have been working with a USA based book writing company a specific department that caters to children's books. That is where I have ascertained various methods pertaining to writing for children and how a writer can not only make them learn things but also keep them engaged

Kartush Tue 16-Aug-22 06:36:36

it was an Enid Blyton book but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of it. It was about two children who go looking for help for their mother when she is sick. I remember there were giant mushrooms in it and a pie shop (I think) and in the end something about a book in the clouds. I have never found the book again but I remember it from 60 years ago

Hiraeth Tue 16-Aug-22 05:20:44

The Borrowers .I was fascinated as a child imagining little people living under the floorboards .

LucyW Mon 15-Aug-22 20:14:23

Heidi, Six cousins at Mistletoe Farm and Six Cousins Again (Enid Blyton), A Child's Garden of Verse (Robert Louis Stevenson), the Nancy Drew Books and a big book of Arabian Nights tales. I loved reading and still read at least six books a week. Have already made enquiries about a library card for my grandchild due in a couple of weeks.

Grandmajean Mon 15-Aug-22 15:59:37

Sucki44So glad someone else liked the Susan books. I felt that I could befriends with those children. They were so real. The Swish of the curtain sounds familiar. Must look it up

Chardy Mon 15-Aug-22 13:18:18

Heidi

Dempie55 Mon 15-Aug-22 12:36:50

marionk

The Pookie books!

Ah, Pookie the flying rabbit! Lovely books by Ivy Wallace! I think maybe they were only popular in Scotland, nobody in England seems to have heard of them!

Dempie55 Mon 15-Aug-22 12:32:57

FannyCornforth

As a very little girl, the Little Grey Rabbit books by Alison Uttley.
The illustrations are perfection.
This was the first one that I read

I loved those books too. Wise Owl's Story was my favourite, and I made my father read it to me every single night when I was about 4, until I could finally follow the words myself.

pinkjj27 Mon 15-Aug-22 11:51:32

I had learning difficulties and struggled with reading, my father called me thick and stupid. I didn’t like reading, but I did love Anne of Green Gables and the story Amelia Earhart I read them to my grand kids now.

Thisismyname1953 Mon 15-Aug-22 11:47:41

I loved the Famous Five books and twenty years later , so did my DD . When my DGD was about 5 we bought her the full set . She’s 17 now and still hasn’t read them ?

Sueki44 Mon 15-Aug-22 10:31:28

I remember ‘Susan Pulls the Strings’ Grandmajean! My godmother bought it for me one Easter instead of an egg. I also loved ‘ The Swish of the Curtain’.

Nanny27 Mon 15-Aug-22 10:21:17

I wish I'd read this thread earlier and noticed that some of you loved Pamela Brown books. She and my mum were best friends in school and each wanted to write. They both had a book published aged 14 but hers went on to be dramatised while Mum's didn't which is why she became better known.
Mum's book was called Last Term at St Andrews. A popular boarding school story of its time and I'd be thrilled if anyone on here has ever heard of or read it.

HannahLoisLuke Sun 14-Aug-22 22:17:32

MissAdventure

Was it Lucy Atwell who illustrated the pony books.
Chubby ponies, and freckle schoolgirls with aspirations to train her naughty pony in time to win a rosette?
I used to love those pictures.

Are you thinking if Thelwell Muss A?