Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The children’s book you remember best

(479 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Tue 22-Mar-22 09:36:25

There are so many wonderful children’s books these days, from The Gruffalo to Amelia Fang, Gangsta Granny to Alex Rider.
But is there one book which made a special impact on you as a child?
For me it will always be Charlotte’s Web. It was read to me when I had Scarlet Fever , maybe not the ideal choice as I cried and cried, but for me a story I will never forget.

Mollygo Tue 22-Mar-22 12:43:47

So many, and many of them mentioned on here. Little Grey Rabbit was a favourite and many of Enid Blyton’s books. I loved Theras an Athenian Boy and Annabel and Bryony. My favourite teen book was Goodnight Mr Tom by Michelle Magorian.
Best surprise though because of writing this post, I looked up Annabel and Bryony, it’s now available on Kindle!!!

Mollygo Tue 22-Mar-22 12:44:25

Sorry, forgot a picture.

Sarahmob Tue 22-Mar-22 12:51:05

So, so many. I loved ‘Little Women’ and have reread this as an adult. I also loved a series called Flambards, which was historical fiction but had a great heroine.

Jaxjacky Tue 22-Mar-22 13:08:49

I loved The Borrowers and probably blamed them for all sorts of things. An avid library user from a young age as I am now.

dogsmother Tue 22-Mar-22 13:16:05

Oh my goodness I loved so many, among the stand outs though were Charles Kingsley and The Water Babies and Anna Sewell with Black Beauty.
I loved the Cs Lewis books. Enid Blyton when I was younger, Malcolm Saville Arthur Ransome ………I was probably a bit of a bookworm.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 22-Mar-22 13:22:02

CS Lewis The Chronicles of Narnia, I know it’s silly but I do get cross when people say The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe is the first book when it’s actually The Magicians Nephew.

I also loved The Shoe series by Noel Streatfield

Antonia Tue 22-Mar-22 13:24:43

I loved 'Heidi', I got so caught up in her longing for the mountains, and feeling trapped in the big town house.
It makes me realise how powerless we are as children.
I also loved the Famous Five, but couldn't get on with Ransome.
If you want a trip down memory lane, Lucy Mangan's book 'A Memoir of Childhood Reading' is fabulous.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 22-Mar-22 13:33:16

Thought of some more, The Mallory Towers series, National Velvet, Follyfoot Farm. Anything to do with Boarding Schools or Horses…

Until I was 13 I lived opposite a library it was my quiet escape (parents were publicans so we lived in/above a very large pub /restaurant)

Kim19 Tue 22-Mar-22 13:39:17

Magic wishing chair from EB was my first.

Musicgirl Tue 22-Mar-22 13:41:00

So many to choose from and so hard to pick just one. As a young child l loved The Magic Faraway Tree and Peter Pan. As I grew older, Noel Streatfeild was my favourite author and, if forced to pick just one of these, it would be The Circus is Coming. I was and am a bookworm, though. Perhaps the one that influenced me most and was the most influential to me was She Shall Have Music by Kitty Barne.

FannyCornforth Tue 22-Mar-22 13:43:13

As a 12 year old I devoured these.
These exact books with these covers.
Judy Blume. The woman is a genius.
Her books were quite risqué, but she has a unique talent to remember being an angst ridden, hormonal teenage girl.

A few years ago she wrote her first book for adults

MountainAsh Tue 22-Mar-22 13:45:34

Little Women, Heidi and What Katy did. I read them, over and over. My first day at Grammar school, aged 11. I discovered libraries. Sadly, I hadn’t known of their existence till then. I soon made up for lost time. grin

Mollygo Tue 22-Mar-22 13:46:42

Oh yes! Are you there God? It’s me. Margaret. Famous for the chant and actions, ‘I must, I must, I must increase my bust!’??

Lucca Tue 22-Mar-22 13:53:43

I loved this book (it didn’t look this then,.just plain dark blue!)

Anyone else read it ?

Grandmajean Tue 22-Mar-22 14:05:22

Nobody's mentioned the "Wells" stories by Lorna Hill . I absolutely loved them and my DIL ( also a fan of the stories) gave me a set of paperbacks one birthday. I still read them occasionally - sort of a comfort blanket from childhood

Mollygo Tue 22-Mar-22 14:06:15

Lucca

Anyone else read it ?

Yes Lucca. I loved Pamela Brown’s books.

Witzend Tue 22-Mar-22 14:10:15

Anyone else a fan of William? I still have some really old ones that belonged to my father - so funny. We used to have cassettes of William, read by Kenneth Williams - would play them in the car for much younger dds - hilarious.

Lucca Tue 22-Mar-22 14:10:33

Is charlottes web too sad for my 7 year old GD? Avid reader of Jacqueline Wilson, Ronald Dahl, andy Griffith tree house books.

Lucca Tue 22-Mar-22 14:12:06

Mollygo

Lucca

Anyone else read it ?

Yes Lucca. I loved Pamela Brown’s books.

??. I really wanted to be an actress for quite a long time. I guess a lot of us teachers were actors “manqués”!

JaneJudge Tue 22-Mar-22 14:12:21

I loved Judy Blume, one of them had some sex in and my Mother had no idea grin

Grandma70s Tue 22-Mar-22 14:20:09

Yes, I read Pamela Brown too. She was only 14 when she wrote The Swish of the Curtain, or at least when she started it. Her books were among the few of mine that my son liked.

I liked Lorna Hill’s Veronica books, not to mention Mariella. I’ve also read the complete Drina series, although I was almost grown up when they were published. Nothing beats a good ballet book. Does anyone write them nowadays?

Grandma70s Tue 22-Mar-22 14:22:49

Witzend

Anyone else a fan of William? I still have some really old ones that belonged to my father - so funny. We used to have cassettes of William, read by Kenneth Williams - would play them in the car for much younger dds - hilarious.

Loved them. They were probably the only books liked equally by me and my brother.

1summer Tue 22-Mar-22 14:25:46

Anne of Green Gables, the only book my Mum read to me.

Blondiescot Tue 22-Mar-22 14:28:44

I was another avid and precocious young reader, and I loved so many of the books mentioned on here. But I was also a totally horse mad child, so if pushed to choose, I would have to opt for Black Beauty or the 'Jill' books by Ruby Ferguson, which included titles like Jill's Gymkhana, A Stable for Jill and so on.
Oh, and I also read Tolkein's Lord of the Rings series at a fairly young age and loved them too.

BlueBelle Tue 22-Mar-22 14:28:46

Any Enid Blyton
Faraway tree series were my favourite then the school stories she told I know she’s out of favour these days but she was the person who got me interested in books