Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Little Princesses

(13 Posts)
Floradora9 Fri 03-Jun-22 10:25:19

I have been reading this tell all book by Marion Crawford and found it facination. I have no real interest in the royal family but this book really gives an insight into the lives they lead. Crawfie , as she was known , was the tutor and companion for the princesses for many years and was exceptionally close to them . She really annoyed me by calling the King the king of England ( she came from Dunfermline ) and called the princesses " little " into their teens. She gave up the chance of an early marriage and left it until she was 38 to marry the love of her life. He also maybe was her downfall as he used the royal connection to his advantage and probably encouraged her to write the book . When it came out she was cut our completely by trhe whole family , lost her lovely grace and favour house and was never contacted by any of the family again. She ended up with a house on the road to Balmoral yet her charges never once stopped to speak to her. She even attempted suicide. I read this on kindle which at the time was 99p but it is back to about £5 now.

Aveline Fri 03-Jun-22 10:27:50

It's a very old book. It was pretty widely deplored at the time. She knew she shouldn't have written it. It's not surprising that the Royal Family ignored her after that.

Calendargirl Fri 03-Jun-22 10:35:42

I have read the book Aveline but compared to what is written about the RF nowadays, it is so tame and deferential. Nothing derogatory about the princesses or any of the family.

The Queen Mother was responsible for the banishment of Crawfie, who had devoted her life to the family. She put off getting married to support them, even though the princesses had outgrown their need for her,

I felt sorry for her.

Anniebach Fri 03-Jun-22 10:53:34

It was a betrayal of trust

Aveline Fri 03-Jun-22 11:58:15

She knew what she was doing and was risking. It was indeed a betrayal of trust of her charges. Any family would be unhappy about this behaviour.

Caleo Fri 03-Jun-22 12:26:42

That was terrible life changing mistake Crawfie made. I know a lot about terrible life changing mistakes! Poor Crawfie.

Namsnanny Fri 03-Jun-22 12:33:38

Yes poor Crawfie.
The Queen and Margaret must have had feelings for her into adulthood?

Parsley3 Fri 03-Jun-22 17:46:55

Calendargirl

I have read the book Aveline but compared to what is written about the RF nowadays, it is so tame and deferential. Nothing derogatory about the princesses or any of the family.

The Queen Mother was responsible for the banishment of Crawfie, who had devoted her life to the family. She put off getting married to support them, even though the princesses had outgrown their need for her,

I felt sorry for her.

The Queen Mother wasn’t known for having a forgiving nature. I hope that the Queen as an adult, was able to spare a kind thought for her old companion.

Allsorts Fri 03-Jun-22 17:58:05

Cross the Queen Mother at your peril. I think Crawfie was very shabbily treated by her. She wasn’t like our Queen with a forgiving nature.

Aveline Fri 03-Jun-22 18:11:40

I'm not sure how forgiving our current Queen actually is. She didn't take any nonsense from H&M. They were out and that was it!

Calendargirl Fri 03-Jun-22 18:19:09

Crawfie died in 1988, but no representative from the RF went to her funeral, and no wreath sent.

I wonder if the QM hadn’t still been alive, the Queen and Princess Margaret would have been more forgiving.

Calendargirl Fri 03-Jun-22 18:21:37

As an aside, the grace and favour home Crawfie lived in was Nottingham Cottage, later the home of H&M.

M0nica Fri 03-Jun-22 19:16:36

Given the context of the time it was written in, it was a complete betrayal of trust and probably made it possible for other people to make money out of their royal connections.

I think the repercussions of her book told against her as much as the book itself.