Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Books I Have Known, Read and Re-Read.

(70 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 18-Jun-22 06:55:35

I read a lot, but many books that I have enjoyed, I wouldn’t want to read again.

This got me thinking about the books I have read and re-read.

When I was younger, The Famous Five and Malory Towers, all by Enid Blyton of course.
What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge.

When a teenager, Fifteen by Beverley Cleary.

And in adulthood,,
Nice Work by David Lodge.
Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell. Over 1000 pages long, but doesn’t seem it. I never tire of reading about Scarlett and her exploits, always hoping for a different ending…..

There are others, I’m sure, but these are the ones that spring to mind.

DillytheGardener Sat 18-Jun-22 14:42:06

Arthur Ransom, ‘Swallows and Amazons’ and ‘Old Peter’s Tales’
E Nesbit, The Psammead trilogy
‘Ballet Shoes’

Jane Austen, particularly ‘Pride and Prejudice’ over and over again
‘Gone With The Wind’
‘I Capture the Castle’

NanKate Sat 18-Jun-22 14:55:22

Wind in the Willows - just magical.

Yammy Sat 18-Jun-22 15:14:28

When young Davy Crocket, Ann of Green Gables and The Little House on the Praire set I was a tomboy.
Then the Nuns Story by Kathryn Hulme
A Town like Alice it also helped me out of a sticky question in A-level general studies.
Now Gone with the Wind as another OP said always hoping for another ending.
The Jewel in the Crown and Staying on, by Paul Scott.
The Poldark novels.

Blondiescot Sat 18-Jun-22 15:28:42

The one book I go back and re-read every so often is The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. No other piece of literature ever struck a chord with me like that did.

Elusivebutterfly Sat 18-Jun-22 16:38:44

As a child my favourite book was The Secret Garden. I don't re-read very often but my favourites are Gone with the Wind, the Poldark series of books and Rebecca.
I also like Trollope as mentioned here - you don't hear of him very often now.
Some books I have re-read years later I enjoy more or sometimes no longer like. I loved Maurice Druon's Accursed Kings series of historical fiction years ago but find it too violent now.

Gin Sat 18-Jun-22 16:48:51

Gosh, Easybee, the mentioning of books I loved but have long forgotten, Rumer Godden, Angela Thirkell and Elizabeth Goodge - I loved ‘the Little White cHorse’ as a child. I must see if any are still in the bookcase.
My favourites to reread are any of my childhood ones.At Christmas time a must is ‘the Box of Delights’ a magical fantasy, first heard on Children's Hour; Mapp and Lucia, very dated but always make me laugh; Tales of the City series (Maupin I think). I reread ‘the L-shaped Room’ the other day and loved it.

garnet25 Sat 18-Jun-22 17:04:26

As a child.
Ballet Shoes,
White Boots,
I capture the Castle,
Eagle of the Ninth,
Little Women.

Later on
A Town like Alice
The Handmaid's Tale,
Claudius the God and his wife Messalina,
What shall we do about Kevin,
The Goldfinch,
War and peace.

Those are some of the books that have stayed with me.

Grandma70s Sat 18-Jun-22 17:23:07

Ballet Shoes, Anne of Green Gables, the Drina books by Jean Estoril. The books I have re-read most often, though, are What Katy Did and What Katy Did at School. I was given them when I was ten, and have re-read them regularly since. I have never taken to Little Women, however. It is so stilted compared with Katy. I don’t think I’ve ever even finished it.

CaravanSerai Sat 18-Jun-22 22:35:04

Middlemarch is my favourite novel and I reread it every few years along with Great Expectations, my second favourite.

Margaret Atwood is my favourite contemporary writer. I can read her novels, poetry and essays over and over. The last novel reread was The Robber Bride.

Most recently, I reread Kate Atkinson's Life After Life and A God in Ruins because of the TV adaptation of the first book.

chesteranna Wed 29-Jun-22 04:44:31

I adore Bukowski and everything related to him. Favorite Book of Women. I found myself in the heroine Lydia. Very catchy for some reason dirty realism) Stronger than Remarque

LtEve Wed 29-Jun-22 08:05:26

I have read and re read The Diary of a Provincial Lady by EM Delafield many times. Also all my childhood favourites, Ballet Shoes Enid Blyton, what Katy did, the Chalet School and Anne of Green Gables.

dolphindaisy Wed 29-Jun-22 08:12:18

As a teenager I read lots of Harold Robbins books, he's an author who never gets mentioned these days, I would probably find the books very outdated now.

NotSpaghetti Wed 29-Jun-22 08:35:28

I find this list quite curious and have decided it's really rare for me to re-read.

Lots of great books I think about and remember, and talk about with my family and friends but few re-reads.

These I have re-read though:
Madame Bovary, House of the Spirits, His Dark Materials, obviously lots of children's books, Wind in the Willows, The Little Prince, all the Alan Garners, Gaffer Samson's Luck, The Dark Is Rising Series and others.

On the whole though I'm not drawn to re-reading to be honest.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 29-Jun-22 08:37:26

I have reread all of the Narnia books, starting with the Magicians Nephew, The shoe books by Noel Streatfield, Black Beauty and National Velvet.

I lost my reading mojo in the first lockdown (my mind would not settle) so I re visited Jilly Coopers 10 Rupert Campbell Black Rutshire books from Riders through to Mount, looking forward to the new one Tackle. I appreciate that they are not highbrow but it’s like curling up with old friends.

Floradora9 Wed 29-Jun-22 21:43:36

M0nica

I endlessly reread books, Jane Austen, Georgette Heyer, Palliser and Barchester novels of Anthony Trollope, Dorothy Sayers, Mrs Oliphant, a female contemporary of Anthony Trollope.

I have them on my Kindle and use them to lull me to sleep. A familiar book, tucked under the blankets, with just the light if the Kindle. Also ideal for wakeful patches at night, dentist's surgeries now they have taken all the magazines away.

The joy of all these books is that on every reread, I constantly not things in the books I have never noticed before. I am rereading a Mrs Oliphant book at the moment, 'Miss Marjoribanks' with a heroine as selfish and self orientated as 'Emma' in the eponymous Jane Austen book and it is wonderful.

I get my Alexa device to read a kindle book to me in bed it lulls me off to sleep . I never chose anything that relies on every word being remembered and I set a sleep timer so it goes off after 30 minutes.

Floradora9 Wed 29-Jun-22 21:44:44

Witzend

Oh, and The Cazalet Chronicles, and Rosamund Pilcher’s Winter Solstice, but I save that for the run up to Christmas.

I believe the TV adaptation of the Cazalets in on Britbox .

Deedaa Wed 29-Jun-22 22:07:43

As a child it was Arthur Ransome, Monica Edwards pony books, The Jungle Book, T.H.White and The Secret Garden. As an adult there are so many! Mapp and Lucia, C.J.Sansom's Shardlake Novels, Andrea Camilleri, Donna Leon, Harry Potter and the Cormoran Strike novels. At Christmas I'm another one who always reads The Box Of Delights and also The Children Of Greene Knowe.

Callistemon21 Wed 29-Jun-22 22:24:24

As an adult I re-read The Borrowers by Mary Norton and enjoyed it all over again.

I just re-read Island in the East by Jenny Ashcroft as I downloaded it on to my Kindle and did enjoy it again although I rarely re-read books. It's set in Singapore in two eras, one covering the fall of Singapore in 1942.

Lovetopaint037 Fri 16-Sep-22 21:57:27

Hawaii by James Mitchener. Loved it so many stories contained within one book. Film made some years ago starring Julie Andrews and Max Van Sidow. It was just one part of a wonderful book.

MissAdventure Fri 16-Sep-22 22:33:46

The Enid Blyton short story books.

I read them endlessly to one of "my ladies" at work.
I could put on all the voices, and not feel silly, too. smile

The what Katy books, too.

GrandmasueUK Fri 16-Sep-22 23:49:26

I re-read all my Borrowers books, Enid Blyton’s mystery and school books, Chalet School, Miss Happiness and Miss Flower (I loved reading the instructions included in this for making a Japanese Doll’s house).
I still read my Agatha Christie books and I’m another who reads Gone With The Wind hoping for a different ending. I still laugh at The Diary of a Nobody.
I also never get tired of Seven in Switzerland and The Katy books and The Honour of the House. These have descriptions of boxes of goodies being opened, which I love. It’s like having Christmas all over again.

MissAdventure Fri 16-Sep-22 23:55:05

Portnoys Complaint.
A masterpiece, I think, and a joy, and unsettling.

Sara1954 Sat 17-Sep-22 07:42:02

From childhood, the usual, Mallory Towers. I loved all the Aurther Ransom books, I won Swallows and Amazons for a school prize and was hooked.

When we were about thirteen we read ‘A Kind of Loving’ by Stan Barstow, it was very grown up, about sex resulting in an unwanted pregnancy. I think it’s a good thing my dad didn’t know what it was about, or he would have marched up to the school, and demanded we read something more appropriate.
I must have stolen my school copy, so that I could reread it, and I have it still.

Adulthood, so many.
My favourite ever book is The Shipping News by Annie Proulx.

Dickens Sat 17-Sep-22 08:17:31

Witzend

Ditto to Cider with Rosie, and the Barchester novels. Mr Slope long ago joined P&P’s Mr Collins as the two most ghastly fictional men I’ve ever ‘met’ but I think Trollope definitely takes the prize for the most wonderful physical description of someone who would make you shudder.

... seconded!

Mr Collins, ugh, inwardly quaking.

I have also read and re-read all of Dickens' novels.

The opening chapter of Bleak House, 'In Chancery' is so evocative - it's a London that still existed to some extent when I was child...

Fog everywhere. Fog up the river, where it flows among green aits and meadows; fog down the river, where it rolls defiled among the tiers of shipping and the waterside pollutions of a great (and dirty) city. Fog on the Essex marshes, fog on the Kentish heights. Fog creeping into the cabooses of collier-brigs; fog lying out on the yards, and hovering in the rigging of great ships; fog drooping on the gunwales of barges and small boats. Fog in the eyes and throats of ancient Greenwich pensioners, wheezing by the firesides of their wards; fog in the stem and bowl of the afternoon pipe of the wrathful skipper, down in his close cabin; fog cruelly pinching the toes and fingers of his shivering little 'prentice boy on deck. Chance people on the bridges peeping over the parapets into a nether sky of fog, with fog all round them, as if they were up in a balloon, and hanging in the misty clouds.

One of the finest descriptions of 'old' London to be found in literature.

jeanniehs Thu 06-Oct-22 13:23:23

Cider with Rosie is my desert island book ...who couldn't love it? The books I read again and again include The Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry-Garrard written about 100 years ago about a mad cap journey in Antarctica; The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson - his first and funniest book. I also love Our Bodies Ourselves Boston's Women Health Book collective; A night to Remember by Walter Lord about the Titanic; anything by Maggie O'Farrell; The Pauper's Cook Book by Jocasta Innes; The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler; Nigella Lawson's recipe books - I love her writing. Lastly, a book I have nearby always called, In the Pink - a book of poems from the show Raving Beauties and shown on the first night Channel 4 started in 1982...I have a signed copy by the wonderful Sue Jones-Davies. Oh yes, one more The Magus by John Fowles...I could go on!