Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Story search - help ?!

(5 Posts)
OxfordGran Mon 07-Nov-22 09:05:08

hello, hope this is on the correct forum - years ago I read a short story which has haunted me and now I cannot locate it.
I think it may well have been in a book of short stories of the Roald Dahl school of nasty payoffs?

Anyway, the bones of it are a young couple visiting an elderly couple of ladies who tell them of a young German airman parachuted out of his plane during the war, wounded, tangled in a tree outside. They then complain that he kept them awake all night moaning with pain until he died.
You might well wonder why I would want to reread such a tale

Clawdy Mon 07-Nov-22 15:03:06

Ooh, that sounds very Roald Dahl-ish!

Calendargirl Mon 07-Nov-22 17:20:14

Sounds like one of the ‘Tales of the Unexpected’ tv series, introduced by Alfred Hitchcock.

Ziplok Mon 21-Nov-22 16:16:34

Sounds a horrible story, gruesome.

seadragon Sun 27-Nov-22 17:00:38

OxfordGran

hello, hope this is on the correct forum - years ago I read a short story which has haunted me and now I cannot locate it.
I think it may well have been in a book of short stories of the Roald Dahl school of nasty payoffs?

Anyway, the bones of it are a young couple visiting an elderly couple of ladies who tell them of a young German airman parachuted out of his plane during the war, wounded, tangled in a tree outside. They then complain that he kept them awake all night moaning with pain until he died.
You might well wonder why I would want to reread such a tale

Why, indeed, OxfordGran.....??