Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Marian Keyes

(18 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Wed 04-Jan-23 17:29:28

Have you read any of her books and what did you think of them?
I heard her interviewed and bought 2 of the Rachel books but never got round to reading them. At Christmas I got a present from someone I don't usually buy for so I hastily wrapped the 2 books and gave them to her.
I had a feeling they might be a bit miserable with the drinking problem but wonder if I am missing out.

Aveline Wed 04-Jan-23 17:35:45

Marian's writing style is very informal and friendly somehow. She writes as she speaks. I doubt if you would find them depressing. Try some of her other books eg 'This charming man'. Easy reading yet thought provoking too. She's not as daft as the way she presents herself! A nice lady.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 04-Jan-23 17:52:46

I have read all apart from the 2nd Rachel book which is downloaded onto my kindle.

I find her style easy and a mix of funny and poignancy.

I both cried and laughed all the way through The Break which is my favourite of hers.

kittylester Wed 04-Jan-23 18:09:23

I agree with both the other posters

welbeck Wed 04-Jan-23 18:19:38

i don't read books nowadays, but i've heard her on the radio.
she is v funny, with acute observations of human behaviour, and recounts many tales against herself.
so i could well imagine that her books would be v readable.
her account of turning up at a rather smart London party, alone, in an outlandish fancy dress, to find everyone else wearing evening clothes, is priceless.
i was surprised to hear of her struggles with alcohol, as she generally sounds so jolly and well-adjusted.

MaizieD Wed 04-Jan-23 18:25:42

I picked up one of her books from a second hand book shop, 'That Charming Man' and really enjoyed its silliness. Not my usual reading material but I'd read more if I came across them.

Kate1949 Wed 04-Jan-23 18:27:31

I've read a couple of Marian's books. I love the Irishness of them, being from an Irish family myself. Her Twitter page is very funny. She suffered with severe depression for many years but you'd never know from her books. There was a BBC programme about her not so long ago. It was very interesting.

welbeck Wed 04-Jan-23 18:33:01

agree completely Kate1949.
MK sounds like the sort of person i'd love to know in real life.
if i found out she was really a rotter i'd be so disappointed, and a bit bewildered.
don't think it will ever happen though. thankfully.

makemineajammiedodger Wed 04-Jan-23 18:57:08

I've read three or four of them. At first they are funny and very "conversational" in style. When you read more, you start realise that they are very formulaic and some of them have a lot of bad language (not a prude, but there are limits). They are light reading, quite entertaining, and very very silly. They are also rather regressive in respect of equality issues. That said, if you see one in a charity shop, what's the harm? You might get a laugh out of it.

Aveline Wed 04-Jan-23 19:00:47

She plumbs some depths though. It's not all silly. She writes using the language that fits around her characters and their stories. I don't find them formulaic and I've read everything she's written.

tickingbird Wed 04-Jan-23 19:11:25

I’ve read several and always enjoyed them. I’ve had ‘That Charming Man’ for years but still haven’t got around to reading it.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 04-Jan-23 19:12:20

Aveline

She plumbs some depths though. It's not all silly. She writes using the language that fits around her characters and their stories. I don't find them formulaic and I've read everything she's written.

Agree.

She nails addiction problems extremely well.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 04-Jan-23 19:12:53

tickingbird

I’ve read several and always enjoyed them. I’ve had ‘That Charming Man’ for years but still haven’t got around to reading it.

You should, it’s a good read.

sodapop Wed 04-Jan-23 19:13:34

Light reading from Marian Keyes but enjoyable, sometimes I enjoy a bit of froth for a change. I didn't find This Charming Man silly MaizieD I thought it was a good portrayal of a problem that happens all too often.

Patsy70 Wed 04-Jan-23 19:36:54

I so enjoy Marian Keyes’ books. She is a breath of fresh air, along with great humour and emotion.

tickingbird Wed 04-Jan-23 19:46:05

Has anyone read ‘Elephant Moon’ by John Sweeney? I read it several years ago and read it was going to be made into a film. I really enjoyed it.

GG13 I shall now make the effort to read TCM smile

tickingbird Wed 04-Jan-23 19:47:00

Sorry. Just realised this thread is about Marian Keyes - I’m tired.

BigBertha1 Wed 04-Jan-23 22:35:30

I love Marion Keyes and have read all her books. Rachel's Holiday was ve r funny and serious all at once.