Gransnet forums

Books/book club

A question for Elly Griffiths fans

(39 Posts)
CanadianGran Thu 23-Feb-23 19:27:43

After a conversation here regarding Elly Griffiths, I went to the library and picked up The Crossing Places, which is supposed to be the first of Ruth Galloway series.

But I know the characters were familiar; Ruth and the strange Cathbad. I'm sure I read a book years ago about a prior archaeological dig that was mention in the book. Why would she reference a previous case if this is the first book in the series?

BTW, I did enjoy the book and look forward to reading more.

eGJ Sun 12-Mar-23 20:08:23

Warning for Deeda the narrator of the audio version changes for three books in the series (and not for the better). Original narrator returns again for the last seven. I am enjoying re-listening as little clues for the future keep appearing! I like the idea of “What would Cathbad do?” 😀

Deedaa Sun 12-Mar-23 19:57:42

I've still got several of the Ruth Galloway books to read. I kept telling my daughter about them and she's now listening to them on Audible. I love the whole set up, the archaeology, the mysticism and the murders. All the characters are so believable as well. Someone was talking about the books on Facebook and I mentioned that while I was at the dentist attempting to relax I was thinking "What would Cathbad say" I had an answer from Elly saying that he would tell me to meditate and think about the Web grin

Clawdy Sun 12-Mar-23 19:40:11

Loved this series. The only thing I found irritating was the references to Covid throughout the last two novels. I could have done without that.

Sparklefizz Sun 05-Mar-23 17:43:53

Ok. I'll follow up on this. Thanks eGJ

eGJ Sun 05-Mar-23 16:20:11

Well Sparklefizz clues in this one that will come full circle in The Last Remains! Well worth listening once again. The humour of Ruth and Nelson emerging early on!

Sparklefizz Sun 05-Mar-23 15:23:38

I'm all in favour of an Ellyfest eGJ

eGJ Sun 05-Mar-23 14:45:19

Has anyone else tried the audiobook version? I have just started again on -The Crossing Places- and having rushed through the books for the story, I am now hearing nuances and details I never noticed before! I’m in for an Ellyfest!😃

eGJ Mon 27-Feb-23 21:37:58

Forgot to add it’s called NORFOLK!

eGJ Mon 27-Feb-23 21:36:54

Coming in November
There is going to be stunning companion to Elly Griffiths' beloved crime series, the Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries, and a photographic journey through magical Norfolk.

Norfolk, a land of peaceful broads, marshy fens, sprawling coastline and shady brecks, is the home of Dr Ruth Galloway, forensic archaeologist. A place steeped in folklore and history, visibly shaped by the lives of those who have come before, it has become an integral character in Elly Griffiths' bestselling crime series.

In this book Elly takes us through a year in the Norfolk landscape, featuring the fascinating locations that have inspired her series and her writing.

From seascapes to farmlands, wetlands to woodlands, churches to cottages, this beautiful book captures Norfolk in all its glorious variety and is the perfect gift for any Elly Griffiths fan

Iam64 Mon 27-Feb-23 08:53:54

King’s Lynn is a glory

CanadianGran Sun 26-Feb-23 21:19:57

Oh, I didn't realize King's Lynn was an actual town. Off to google maps I go...

I love the internet and the wonderful Google Maps; it allows me to be an armchair traveller.

Iam64 Sun 26-Feb-23 19:02:42

gillgran - it’s like happy valley, minus the terror, going back and rereading the series.

gillgran Sun 26-Feb-23 15:06:44

FoghornLeghorn

I’ve enjoyed the entire Ruth Galloway series. However, if you know north Norfolk well you do have to suspend your knowledge of the geography as she takes a lot of licence with places and distances. Ruth travels the oddest routes between places and seems to cover distances in record time.

I agree, FoghornLeghorn, about the places & distances!
We live about 40 miles from King's Lynn, & our little holiday home is in a remote spot on the NW Norfolk coast............!?

I've read several of the earlier books in the Ruth Galloway series. I've obviously missed more books than I realised, as I see that there are 15, including the recent last one in this series.
I'd like to read them in order, maybe I need to go back to the beginning!

FoghornLeghorn Sat 25-Feb-23 21:19:06

I’ve enjoyed the entire Ruth Galloway series. However, if you know north Norfolk well you do have to suspend your knowledge of the geography as she takes a lot of licence with places and distances. Ruth travels the oddest routes between places and seems to cover distances in record time.

Iam64 Sat 25-Feb-23 18:05:45

I enjoy the Ruth Galloway books enormously. I like the ke characters, I’m interested in their lives and relationships.
Sainsbury has the latest book in hard back for £12. I was tempted but I’m hoping it’s in the large airport paper back when I fly next week. If not, it’s being downloaded on kindle

eGJ Sat 25-Feb-23 17:19:37

And Lizbethann you can see the coming books on Fantastic Fiction and pre- order them from the library and get ahead of the game!

Lizbethann55 Sat 25-Feb-23 16:20:49

For anyone unsure about the sequence of a series of books, can I suggest that you use the website " Fantastic Fiction". If you type in an author's name you will find a bit about the author and all the books they have written. If the books are part of a series you will see them listed in the correct order.

Calendargirl Sat 25-Feb-23 14:09:23

eGJ

YesCalendargirl we all seem not to mind Nelson and his trying to keep Michelle and Ruth too, but have you read The Last Remains yet? No spoilers from me😉

Yes, have read it, but my lips are sealed!

eGJ Sat 25-Feb-23 12:41:25

YesCalendargirl we all seem not to mind Nelson and his trying to keep Michelle and Ruth too, but have you read The Last Remains yet? No spoilers from me😉

Calendargirl Sat 25-Feb-23 12:32:10

Just an observation on the Ruth Galloway character.

None of us seem to mind that she has had an ongoing affair with Nelson for years, and had a daughter by him. Do any of us feel sympathy for Nelson’s wife Michelle? I know she had a fling with Tim? was it, who sadly died, but that was after she discovered the affair.

And no, the Ruth/Nelson pairing never seemed wrong to me, though always felt that actually he had his cake and ate it as well.

It was all on his terms.

eGJ Sat 25-Feb-23 12:00:44

They are great to listen to as well and the narrator Clare Corbett brings North Norfolk to life. Am going to start again a The Crossing Places and indulge in a magnificent Elly Fest and hear them all!

CanadianGran Fri 24-Feb-23 17:22:31

Ok, thank you. Yes the reference to the previous dig of the henge made me believe there was a previous book that I had missed.

I know I have read one of her later books, because she had a daughter in the book, which she didn't in The Crossing Places, in fact, she has just discovered she is pregnant at the end.

So I will look up the titles in order, and work my way through them. I believe most are available at the library.

Doing the same with The Brittany Murder series by Jean-Luc Bannelec.

NanKate Fri 24-Feb-23 14:52:20

Thanks Terribull I’ll see if my Sainsbury’s has a copy.

I think Cathbad is great and I love how Nelson is so non-pc.

annodomini Fri 24-Feb-23 09:51:28

The Crossing Places is the first in the series. A previous dig had involved the main characters in this book and is referred to in subsequent books. The dig had revealed the remains of a wooden 'henge' on a nearby beach, revealed by the shifting coastline of North West Norfolk. Cathbad had wanted to leave it in situ, but it had been removed to a King's Lynn Museum.

TerriBull Fri 24-Feb-23 09:23:03

NanKate

Her last book in this series has been published this month but the paperback comes out in August. You can get it on Kindle for £13.99 now.

Great series 👍

I got the actual book in Sainsburys for £12.

Yes great series and sadly the last book in it, have only just started it so am savouring it.