Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What is your favourite novel, and why?

(304 Posts)
Doodledog Sun 26-Feb-23 21:07:07

I was asked this question yesterday (at a literary event), and my mind just went blank. I grasped at straws, and said Great Expectations, which is a very good book, but probably not my favourite of all time. Coming home on the bus, I started to think about what I would say if someone asked me again, but I'm not much further forward really.

How would you answer that question? Do you have a favourite novel, and do you know why you love it? If you can't make up your mind, what are your top three (or four or five, if that's easier)? You can change your mind tomorrow, so don't let the question faze you like it did me grin.

My list would probably include:
Maus by Art Speigleman, although maybe that shouldn't count, as it is a graphic novel
The Women's Room by Marilyn French, although it is probably terribly dated.
The Woman Who Walked Into Doors, or pretty much anything by Roddy Doyle, who is the only male author I know who can write convincingly from the point of view of a woman, but I've changed my mind already writing that (other contenders are The Autobiography of Henry VIII by Margaret George, Life of Pi by Yann Martel and The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini) and as soon as I see other people's choices I will change it again.

what are yours?

TwiceAsNice Thu 25-Jan-24 12:35:21

And the Chalet School Books still have them sorry keep reading thread and remembering more

TwiceAsNice Thu 25-Jan-24 12:32:14

I forgot Patricia Cornwall have read every single one of her books and Stephen Kings Fantasy books- all 7 of them

TwiceAsNice Thu 25-Jan-24 12:25:43

I prefer Jo’s Boys to Little Women

Water ship Down, Richard Adams made me cry, as does the song Bright Eyes from the film

CJ Sansoms Tudor lawyer books, sometimes hard to read but I love the historical detail

Elizabeth Jane Howard’s Cazaleat Chronicles- best family saga series ever!

Black Beauty best ever children’s book which I’ve read again as an adult

Sophie’s Choice- terrible decision - it broke me! Made such an impact rather than it being a “favourite”

Modesty Blaise novels - can’t remember the authors name- Peter someone I think- for sheer fun and fantasy value

I’m a varied reader!

Axuli Thu 25-Jan-24 11:12:05

1.Train to Pakistan (1956) by Khushwant Singh:
This poignant historical novel dives into the tragic events of the Partition of India in 1947.Train to Pakistan is a stark and unsparing account of human folly and the enduring power of hope amidst a tumultuous historical backdrop.

2. The God of Small Things (1997) by Arundhati Roy:
This Booker Prize-winning masterpiece captures the turbulent childhood of Estha and Rahel, twins growing up in Kerala, India. Told in a lyrical and non-linear fashion, the narrative delves into their forbidden childhood love, the tragic death of their younger brother, and the suffocating caste and societal pressures that surround them.

3. The Hungry Tide (2005) by Amitav Ghosh:
This gripping historical novel delves into the intertwined fates of several characters during the Sundarbans mangrove forests of India and Bangladesh. Ghosh's meticulously researched narrative spans centuries, from the Portuguese colonial era to the modern threat of environmental degradation.

Aayushi Mon 15-Jan-24 13:26:48

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

GrannyRose15 Sat 13-Jan-24 22:29:47

“It is truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a large fortune must be in want of a wife.” All human experience is there. And it’s a very good read.

Busybee009 Sat 13-Jan-24 14:45:07

Persuasion is definitely one of my favourite books. There’s something about this novel, out of all Jane Austen’s work, that just moves me. I had recently re-read it and it is still as wonderful as ever.

Carol70ish Sat 13-Jan-24 10:44:36

To have one is so difficult but the most recent to go straight to my personal number one spot is Fresh Water For Flowers by Valerie Perrin (translated from the French original). I wept buckets but it was a book full of hope and love. When I finished it I felt bereft! I will read again in the future - always the mark of a great book for me.

Carol70ish Sat 13-Jan-24 10:39:45

That book is wonderful! Tears and laughter in equal measure.

Algo007 Fri 12-Jan-24 12:07:57

My favorite novel is "A Suitable Boy" because it shows the lives of four families in post-independence India and explores the themes of love, politics, and tradition.

Aayushi Fri 12-Jan-24 10:39:37

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Oreo Fri 12-Jan-24 09:22:14

Mall? All

Oreo Fri 12-Jan-24 09:21:55

Rebecca, yes the book so much better than the films.That’s made me think about re reading mall the Du Maurier novels now.😃

Greyduster Fri 12-Jan-24 08:32:18

The Wolf Hall trilogy. I have just read the books for the second time and enjoyed them even more. I’m trying to persuade GS to give the first one a go!

Bernard Cornwell’s Last Kingdom series. When I finished ‘War Lord’ I felt bereft that Uhtred had run his course!

Rebecca. A favourite since my early teens.

Axuli Fri 12-Jan-24 07:09:56

My favourite book is Howards End is a novel by E. M. Forster about social conventions, codes of conduct and relationships in turn-of-the-century England. A strong-willed and intelligent woman refuses to allow the pretensions of her husband's smug English family to ruin her life. You can find more on shabdin

Busybee009 Thu 11-Jan-24 13:06:44

I really love the novels of Amitav Ghosh. He is an amazing Indian writer with some of the best works i have read. I especially like his The Glass Palace and the Ibis Trilogy.

Juliet27 Tue 09-Jan-24 15:29:34

Oreo

grannydarkhair

DonnaB5859

The Midnight Library.
Give it a read. You won’t be disappointed

Want a bet? 😁 After reading glowing reviews I expected to read something special. I didn’t hate it but it went in the “going to the charity shop” pile. It’s definitely not a re-reader for me.

Yeah, me too, read it then it went to my local charity shop, def not one to re-read.

My son, who hardly ever reads, really enjoyed it and recommended it but I can’t say I enjoyed it much. It’s perhaps a Marmite thing.

Juliet27 Tue 09-Jan-24 15:23:24

The Herries Chronicle - Hugh Walpole

JamesandJon33 Tue 09-Jan-24 15:17:00

Probably Jane Eyre, as I studied it for my O level and again for my degree.
Though I do love Thomas Hardy, Margaret Forster and Kate Atkinson.

Busybee009 Tue 09-Jan-24 14:15:43

Giving a single Answer to this is quite Impossible but I have always adored the works of Jane Austen especially Pride and Prejudice. Other than that The Great Expectations is quite a Favourite of mine and also the The Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh.

Busybee009 Tue 09-Jan-24 14:08:16

Hellogirl1

As a child I loved Little Women. As an adult I can`t pick out a favourite, but A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini would be up there on the list.

Truly. That Book is a masterpiece. and Little Woman deserves its Flowers too. Both these books are Amazing in your right.

tinaf1 Mon 09-Oct-23 16:20:51

Hellogirl1

As a child I loved Little Women. As an adult I can`t pick out a favourite, but A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini would be up there on the list.

Hellogirl1 we must have gone to the same library both are my favorites too!

suzette1613 Mon 09-Oct-23 13:19:58

So many, so many.
I don’t seem to have read a lot of recent novels but l re-read these often,

Rebecca,
September,
Winter Solstice, both the last two by Rosamunde Pilcher
Marjorie Morningstar, Herman Wouk
Cider with Rosie
Sunset Song, Lewis Grassic Gibbon
The Wind in the Willows
National Velvet, Enid Bagnold
The Sea, the Sea, Iris Murdoch

I will never stop buying books!

Lovetopaint037 Thu 14-Sep-23 19:28:35

pensionpat

My favourite author is John Irving. The World According to Garp and The Cider House Rules have both been made into pretty decent films, although his books are so complex that a film makes a poor second. But the book that stands out is A prayer for Owen Meany. I re-read it regularly. It is so satisfying. All the ends are sewn up, and all questions answered. The theme of the book is Love, Loss and faith, with a mixture of tragedy and comedy.

Thank you pensionpat. Just to say that your recommendation for John Irving has set me reading a new author. I have read A Prayer For Owen Meany and loved it. I have just finished The Cider House Rules and as you can imagine it will stay with me for a long time. In case anyone is interested in watching or rewatching the film, it is on itvX for free. Just started Thw World According to Garp. So thank you so much it is great to have found such a fantastic author.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 20-Jul-23 03:27:39

pensionpat

My favourite author is John Irving. The World According to Garp and The Cider House Rules have both been made into pretty decent films, although his books are so complex that a film makes a poor second. But the book that stands out is A prayer for Owen Meany. I re-read it regularly. It is so satisfying. All the ends are sewn up, and all questions answered. The theme of the book is Love, Loss and faith, with a mixture of tragedy and comedy.

Am half way through A Prayer for Owen Meany and have just ordered The World according to Garp and Cider House Rules. It was great to find a writer who is so different. Thank you so much. Enjoying the way that characters are fully explored and this is what leads the story. Owen Meany as baby Jesus is priceless and so on.