Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Gransnet World Book Day 2 March 2023

(34 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Mon 27-Feb-23 21:44:25

So it’s World Book Day on Thursday.
Why should the children have all the fun!
So here’s your heads-up to give some thought to what you will wear on Gransnet on Thursday, which character you will come as, from what book and why?

I might come as Scarlett O’Hara, but frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn. ( Also that might be type casting, so maybe I need to give it more thought )
Rosie wants to be Spot the Dog
Can’t wait to see who you choose!

notgoneyet Thu 02-Mar-23 20:35:29

My 4-year-old twin greatgrandsons went as Thing One and Thing Two ("human-like twins who caused havoc" - very apt) from Dr Seuss The Cat in the Hat. Their hair was sprayed with blue wash out hair dye, and they wore bright red Gap track suits lol

Marydoll Thu 02-Mar-23 20:16:58

My husband used to jokingly call me The Wicked Witch of the West. In my defence, I was menopausal at the time
My children found it very amusing.
I even have am broomstick! wink

Georgesgran Thu 02-Mar-23 19:32:37

DGS1’s school has had a pyjama and bring a favourite soft toy day today, rather than expect parents to fork out for a one-off outfit. I thought that a good idea. I think I’d like to be Snow White as she was surrounded and loved animals.

NotSpaghetti Thu 02-Mar-23 19:28:00

Do we have to post photos of us dressed up 🫣 ?

downtoearth Thu 02-Mar-23 19:26:53

I love the childrens book The Wonky Donkey,and cannot read it without collapsing into giggles to my 4 year DGD.

I am very much a Wonky Donkey with 2 dodgy hips, so I will be The Wonkey Donkey...Hee Haw.

grandMattie Thu 02-Mar-23 19:22:32

I always had a soft spot for Jo in “Little Women”.
Perhaps the “Lessons in Chemistry” protagonist whose name I’ve forgotten…. now there’s a feminist!

eazybee Thu 02-Mar-23 19:18:16

I watched a lady vicar recite 'When I am an old woman'and at the end she reached for a Bishop's mitre.

Blossoming Thu 02-Mar-23 16:38:24

I will be Arya from Game of Thrones. The book, not the TV series. I have some black skinny trousers, knee boots and a leather jacket. I’ll make my walking stick look like a sword grin

MrsKen33 Thu 02-Mar-23 16:07:29

When I taught most of the boys came to’Book Day’ in their football kit. They had had football books for Christmas.

I would like to be Lizzie Bennet from Pride and Prejudice, Love their dresses and bonnets.

Kalu Thu 02-Mar-23 13:14:03

No need to think about it…..has to be Heidi for me.
I devoured this book in my childhood, imagining the little bed her grandfather had prepared for her. I loved every page.
I visited Heidi’s house when I was in Switzerland in my mid sixties☺️. Well, I couldn’t not drop in!

FannyCornforth Thu 02-Mar-23 12:48:09

Blooming heck. It did post twice blush

FannyCornforth Thu 02-Mar-23 12:47:39

That’s no my class room. Mine had better displays than that wink

FannyCornforth Thu 02-Mar-23 12:46:24

I hope that this doesn’t post twice

FannyCornforth Thu 02-Mar-23 12:42:43

Here’s me in 2010 as The Mad Hatter. I’m wearing red eyeliner to indicate mercury poisoning.
I used pretty much the same outfit to do Willy Wonka, only I stuck Quality Street on my top hat and wore a confectionery corsage.
Unfortunately, that photo has gone the of most of my photos from school sad

FannyCornforth Thu 02-Mar-23 12:10:25

Daddima I was thinking of that exact tweet! Thank you for sharing it

Daddima Thu 02-Mar-23 11:54:54

Luckygirl3

My GS has to go to school as a word, and he has chosen the word "backwards" - he has got all his clothes on backwards: shirt, tie, trousers (how will he pee!?) - crazy boy!

I like this!
I feel sorry when I look at social media and see children dressed in elaborate ( and probably expensive) costumes, most of which represent characters in films. It seems to have become another competition.
I did like this from Joe Heenan, who said he forgot, so sent his children as pages from the Argos catalogue!

Squiffy Thu 02-Mar-23 11:51:45

I’d have to be one of The Borrowers. I’m the right size!

SachaMac Thu 02-Mar-23 11:31:29

I’d probably go as the Big Bad Wolf, most of my GC loved any story starring a wolf and after lots of practice I’m ok at the gruff voice smile

Yammy Thu 02-Mar-23 11:28:26

I don't know what my GD has gone as,
I know I have just had to buy her a Greek dress for a play about King Midas so maybe someone from Greek mythology,Pandora comes to mind.

MawtheMerrier Thu 02-Mar-23 10:35:40

Or even Satan’s Little Helper!

FannyCornforth Thu 02-Mar-23 10:30:35

Another option for Rosie is The Simpson’s rescue ex- racing greyhound, the lovely Santa’s Little Helper

Luckygirl3 Thu 02-Mar-23 10:07:23

My GS has to go to school as a word, and he has chosen the word "backwards" - he has got all his clothes on backwards: shirt, tie, trousers (how will he pee!?) - crazy boy!

Mollygo Thu 02-Mar-23 10:03:50

I’m going to work this afternoon as the Very Hungry Caterpillar. I really like the idea of being able to eat and eat and eat and still turn into something really beautiful

MawtheMerrier Thu 02-Mar-23 09:59:42

Rosie has got to come as (Re)Homer the greyhound

Casdon Thu 02-Mar-23 09:21:39

My dog will be Flush today.

I’m craving adventure, so I’ll be Phileas Fogg - dressing up could be a bit of a challenge though, has anybody got any plus fours?