Gransnet forums

Books/book club

If you use your library.

(13 Posts)
tanith Sun 24-Dec-23 13:17:21

Two libraries in my borough have recently been closed because bed bugs were found in returned books. 😱
One has now reopened but the other is still closed apparently staff now look out for them when books are returned, I had no idea this was even a thing but from now on my library books will be double bagged and put in the freezer for 24 hrs before reading.

seadragon Sun 24-Dec-23 13:23:06

Crivvens! Back to quarantining the books, I doot...but in the freezer this time, right enough!

Glorianny Sun 24-Dec-23 13:23:39

I've just been to Paris. I got loads of warnings about how awful the bed bugs are there. I stayed in a lovely hotel, quite close to the centre, very reasonably priced (especially compared with London) but I didn't see one bedbug.
I'll go on using my library
You need to freeze at very low temperatures for 4 days to kill them!!! www.terminix.com/bed-bugs/do-it-yourself/freezing/#:~:text=Freezing%20bed%20bugs%20can%20kill,

Aveline Sun 24-Dec-23 13:29:01

Our local library is closed as it has the dreaded raac concrete. I doubt it will ever open again. It's a great loss to the community.

TerriBull Sun 24-Dec-23 13:49:12

Good grief who'd have thought of that! I use both our local libraries, something to be aware of given most of us read in bed. Thanks for the head's up Tanith.

tanith Sun 24-Dec-23 13:56:29

Oh my! 4 days it is then.

toscalily Sun 24-Dec-23 14:03:16

I imagine this would apply to 2nd hand books too which is a shame as I love a browse in the book section of charity shops. I don't like to leave without buying something and can usually find a a book or two I want to read.

honeyrose Sun 24-Dec-23 14:14:21

OMG! I never thought of bedbugs in books! I like to read in bed too. I’ll shall look at the books more carefully in future.

pascal30 Sun 24-Dec-23 15:22:59

wouldn't you be able to see them against the page,or do they hide in the binding?

Sparklefizz Sun 24-Dec-23 16:30:26

I’ve heard of fleas hiding in book bindings

Glorianny Sun 24-Dec-23 17:01:19

They are in the spines apparently. Heat is supposed to be best for killing them. I've just been reading about them. I'm feeling itchy!!!!

PamelaJ1 Sun 24-Dec-23 17:04:20

Glorianny

They are in the spines apparently. Heat is supposed to be best for killing them. I've just been reading about them. I'm feeling itchy!!!!

So… In the oven for 4 days? Cheaper to buy a new book!

tanith Sun 24-Dec-23 17:10:02

Freezing doesn’t cause damage to the books apparently but heat does.