Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Looking for recs for

(22 Posts)
cowsarebarnpuppies Wed 03-Jun-26 23:34:58

time travel books you've enjoyed and your favorite uplifting fiction. Thank you!

Granatlast007 Thu 04-Jun-26 10:14:09

Matt Haig is excellent, the Midnight Library but also an older one The Humans.

davidraya Tue 16-Jun-26 08:40:18

I recommend The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire FNF North. The book is about a man who lives the same life repeatedly, remembering each cycle.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 16-Jun-26 09:41:12

The Time Traveler's Wife (American book, so American spelling!).

PinkCosmos Tue 16-Jun-26 10:13:21

The Lost Bookshop by Evie Woods. I think most of her books have some element of time travel.

By this time tomorrow by Charlotte Butterfield

The invisible life of Addie LaRue by V E Schwab

I love a time travel book. I would also second The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenneger (sp?)

Samsara1 Tue 16-Jun-26 11:36:02

I'm reading 'Yesteryear' by Carol Claire Burke. I am only third of the way through and the time travelling element could be seen in a couple of ways. The writing is very sharp packed full of phrases I wish I had used or will use.

As for uplifting fiction I always enjoy the 'Aga Sagas' for a re read especially Joanna Trollope and Mary Wesley.

Scribbles Tue 16-Jun-26 11:55:11

I've been reading and thoroughly enjoying Kelley Armstrong's "A Rip Through Time" series.

Shel1951 Tue 16-Jun-26 12:20:10

I loved ...before the coffee gets cold. By Kawaguchi, not normally my type of book but it was recommended and I read the series in the end.
Also The Midnight library, again not my normal reading but loved this too, I now try most books recommended even if not my genre.
Agatha Christie is/was my type

Fallingstar Tue 16-Jun-26 12:50:46

Kindred is good, I remember reading it ages ago and is about a black woman who is a slave travelling forwards in time.

Thirdinline Tue 16-Jun-26 14:23:28

Human Croquet by Kate Atkinson has an element of time travel in it. It’s an interesting and readable book such as I’ve come to expect from the author. I read it at the same time as Matt Haig’s How to Stop Time. I enjoyed both.

Flippin2 Tue 16-Jun-26 14:42:08

Ben Elton,Time and time again

Scribbles Mon 22-Jun-26 13:08:36

Another one I absolutely loved was 11/22/63 by Stephen King.

Elrel Mon 22-Jun-26 14:49:57

Just enjoyed ‘The Best of Everything’ by Kit de Waal who wrote ‘My Name is Leon’ and ‘Without Warning & Only Sometimes’.

BatistaSpinola Mon 07-Sept-26 03:01:40

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

sodapop Mon 07-Sept-26 12:45:56

I love time slip books. Barbara Erskine and Diana Gabaldon are my favourite authors.

Witzend Mon 07-Sept-26 12:49:13

Midnight Is A Lonely Place (Barbara Erskine) was one that once kept my dd2 completely absorbed for most of one Christmas Day and all of Boxing Day!
(I had already thoroughly enjoyed it).

Lupin Sun 13-Sept-26 17:24:48

I have enjoyed the books by Susannah Kearsley, They slip back and forth in time. I particularly liked her Slains series.
Daphne Du Maurier wrote a time slip called The House on the Strand which is very good.
One with a different and surprising approach to a time slip novel is The Glassmaker by Tracey Chevalier set on Murano and Venice,
I do love a good time-slip book.

NotSpaghetti Sun 13-Sept-26 17:58:03

Do you actually mean Time Travel?
In the sense that someone appears in another age?

NanKate Mon 14-Sept-26 12:11:35

Just read the timeslider 3 book series by Santa Monefiore with ‘Shadows in the Moonlight’ being book 1. First class imo.

foxie48 Mon 14-Sept-26 19:21:49

"Slaughterhouse 5" by Kurt Vonnegut. You'll either love it or hate it but you won't forget it.

Rocketstop2 Mon 14-Sept-26 19:24:35

A 3 month old post.

However I love Barbara Erskine for time slip novels.

Treebee Mon 14-Sept-26 19:25:44

I enjoyed Elly Griffiths’ time travelling detective Ali Dawson stories. Just 2 so far, The Frozen People then The Killing Time.