Gransnet forums

Care & carers

A Warning

(65 Posts)
Gracesgran Tue 19-Jun-12 08:27:10

My Mum (aged 91) rang me yesterday to tell me that "Dyson" had been in touch to arrange to service her cleaner. She thought it was odd as it is only two months old. Like many of her generation she finds it hard to say no and made excuses for them not to come - she did well - but they finally got her to agree to a visit next week. They told her it would cost £15. I rang Dyson when she told me and they said this has been well publicised (but I hadn't seen it). They have been on Watch Dog and put adverts in the papers. The lady I spoke to was very nice but made it clear that the do not cold call, the warranty is so good all you need to do is call them. Apparently these people will do a bit of fiddling with the Dyson and say it needs parts - the bill creeps up from the £15 to £80, £90 or even more and the none Dyson parts void the warranty. The "engineer" who is coming out next week - obviously I will be there - knows this is a scam. How can these people do this? I must admit I don't like the idea of being in a confrontational situation but I like my mother being in it even less.

bikergran Thu 28-Jun-12 12:39:08

Brilliant,,,,,well done!! smile how dare!!! they mess with "Gransnetters" (or Gransnetters mum's)!! would like to shove the Dyson ***** and say to him "Hows that!! for a sevice"!! grrrrrr....... well done to all...

glammanana Thu 28-Jun-12 12:06:59

Brilliant news we should have a door sign made to state that "you scammers will get nowhere with us GNers are on your case" well done to you and your lovely neighbour and the very helpful Police in your area they deserve a cupcake

carol123 Thu 28-Jun-12 00:14:26

this is brilliant so glad someone it sorting out scum like these that target elderly and vulnerable people

Ariadne Wed 27-Jun-12 13:19:51

Brilliant! I do like a bit of baddies getting comeuppance!

Pennysue Wed 27-Jun-12 07:06:58

Good news - flowers

nanaej Wed 27-Jun-12 06:37:24

Good news! [flowers} for you & your mum!

JessM Tue 26-Jun-12 18:11:58

grin

whenim64 Tue 26-Jun-12 14:05:20

Great result! X

soop Tue 26-Jun-12 12:29:48

High five! Gracenan You have the result you deserve. flowers

AlisonMA Tue 26-Jun-12 11:05:45

That is such good news, you had lots of support and hopefully this company will no longer be able to prey on vunerable people.

Anagram Mon 25-Jun-12 21:16:02

Really good news, Gracesgran! Well done to all involved. flowers

Gracesgran Mon 25-Jun-12 21:09:14

Today was the day the scammer was due to call on my Mum. Yesterday there was a knock on the door and it was our local police checking that I was OK with the whole thing, making sure I had the numbers for Trading Standards and to offer me advice on Mum staying safe. No sooner had he left than the phone rang and it was the police woman who covers Mum’s area again offering help and reassurance. This morning came and I got over to Mum’s for 9.00 a.m., ready to send the chap on his way when he arrived between 10.00 a.m. and 11.00 a.m. Time passed and several cups of tea later the engineer still hadn’t arrived. I decided he wasn’t coming and I would go home. Before I did I explained to Mum’s neighbour what was going on. She was horrified and said they would keep a look out. I said I had hoped to find out which company he worked for and the police had asked for the vehicle licence number if I could get it. Off I went and, as I arrived back home and was walking through the door the phone was ringing; it was the next door neighbour. The man had arrived about 15 minutes after I had gone – about an hour late for the appointment – and she had dashed out. She got his name and the company details and said we were very concerned about the appointment. He said he knew nothing about this and only went where he was told to go. The lovely neighbour then followed him down to his van and took the number. She was very kind – Mum didn’t even have to come to the door – and very brave.
I rang the police to update them and then the Trading Standards people. I couldn’t talk to the person “dealing” with this as he was tied up but I noticed how excited the two people I did talk to sounded. Within five minutes the right chap called back. I started to give him the information and could hear his excitement too. He thanked me and said they had been having complaints about these people for some time but because of the type of people they scammed and the way they did it they had no details of the company. They would now be contacting them to deal with it and, if they didn’t stop, they would be prosecuted.
So hopefully, thanks to the help of a lovely neighbour, we may have achieved something good today!

johanna Tue 19-Jun-12 19:16:04

Frida must come too.
She will be able to tell him where to go!!!!!!!.....

Ella46 Tue 19-Jun-12 17:11:48

Wasn't my idea! [sneaky emoticon] Don't blame me!

soop Tue 19-Jun-12 16:37:32

grin...as if!

Anagram Tue 19-Jun-12 16:34:32

Just as I thought, soop, and then casting nasturtiums on us two!

soop Tue 19-Jun-12 16:29:43

Anagram I was thinking saucily. wink

jeni Tue 19-Jun-12 16:29:37

Would we EVER say or do anything out of order?[innocent emoticon]

Anagram Tue 19-Jun-12 16:28:49

soop, I was only implying that the granddads would be breathless because they are of a certain age and shouldn't really be rushing! I don't know what you thought I meant! blush

soop Tue 19-Jun-12 16:26:31

Anagram and jeni ...nellie's reputation is at stake here. Better watch what we say. Would hate any nice young man - in or out of uniform, to get the right wrong impression. As for that dog...his reputation goes behind him! grin

jeni Tue 19-Jun-12 16:22:49

In uniform?

Anagram Tue 19-Jun-12 16:22:31

Certainly breathless.....hmm

grin

soop Tue 19-Jun-12 16:20:36

Ella nellie would only have to whistle...and the granddads would rally to her call, all pink cheeked and breathless with anticipation. wink

Annobel Tue 19-Jun-12 16:16:52

nellie and Donald should do the job nicely.

Ella46 Tue 19-Jun-12 16:06:59

Maybe we should rustle up a few granddads, they'd see him off! Perhaps nellie can persuade themgrin