Gransnet forums

Care & carers

an idea

(3 Posts)
be96erj Fri 15-Feb-13 22:55:49

Hello Forum

I am looking to get some home help for my elderly father, but the idea of paying for it is daunting to say the least.

I have a child and I buy, through work, childcare vouchers. For those that don't know about them, my pay is deducted for the amount of £150/ month. However the government give me £250 in vouchers towards the cost of my childcare. So I gain £1200/ year in tax relief.

My idea is that the same system is introduced for home care. Why should people paying for home care not be entitled to the same tax breaks as parents with young children?

What do people think and should we all get together to get this this idea realised? Perhaps we could start an online petition.

Anne58 Sat 16-Feb-13 00:43:56

I'm not in your situation but hope that some other members might know more.

kittylester Sat 16-Feb-13 08:25:43

Is your father accessing all the benefits available eg Attendance Allowance? Talk to AgeUk.