Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Paying for Care Home

(16 Posts)
lainey1959 Thu 28-Mar-13 16:45:09

Hi, am hoping someone will have a definite answer for me. My dad has been in a care home for 18 months. Last October my mum died and we have now sold the family home. Mum and Dad were "tennants in common" and she left her half of the family home to her 4 children. We have tried to contact social services on several occasions with various questions as we realise dad will now have to pay for his own care with his half of the family home. No one is replying to telephone messages or e-mails.

My questions is simply (I think) - can social services take mum's share of the house, we think she only went tennants in common 6 years ago when they both moved into the bungalow we have just sold. I am executor of mum's will and daren't distribute any of the family home money until social services get back to us.

absent Thu 28-Mar-13 16:49:52

lainey1959 I think you should ask for advice at somewhere like the Citizen's Advice Bureau. However, we do have a member who frequently posts on this exact subject – HUNTERF – and who seems to be invited to attend all meetings with social workers concerning the cost of care of his neighbours' elderly parents. I have no doubt that he will post an answer on this thread very shortly. I hope he will be able to help you.

Mishap Thu 28-Mar-13 16:50:14

Go to CAB and get some proper advice. I am sure they will help you.

annodomini Thu 28-Mar-13 17:20:32

I am sure the CAB will be able to offer you useful advice on the subject but Age UK would be the best authority on anything to do with care costs.

MaureenM Thu 28-Mar-13 19:59:20

My OH and I have made our will so we are tenants in common. If one of us died then that half would go to our children rather than to care home fees or to a second husband/wife. THe OH would have a right to live in the house throughout their lifetime though.
We sold my parents house and are in the third year of the money going in carehome fees for my mum. It is a pity they didn't do anything to protect their money. We don't even have power of attorney.

HUNTERF Mon 01-Apr-13 20:03:54

The answer is the council can only take half of the proceeds of the house.

You will have to be firm with Social Services as they will try it on but they generally back down when they encounter somebody who knows the law.

The following link may be useful.

My parents did this with the house I have now inherited and this was explained to us at the time of splitting the ownership in to tenants in common and writing their wills.


petra Mon 01-Apr-13 21:56:49

Hi HUNTERF. I have sent you a PM.

HUNTERF Tue 02-Apr-13 10:03:31


I have sent an answer.


Alex84 Thu 18-Apr-13 12:19:58

You will have to be firm with Social Services as they will try it on but they generally back down when they encounter somebody who knows the law.

Elegran Thu 18-Apr-13 12:46:15

"Frank", is that you repeating yourself?

Elegran Thu 18-Apr-13 12:47:20

Remembering who you are does get difficult as you get older.

HUNTERF Thu 18-Apr-13 16:26:40


I think you are confusing me with Alex84.


HUNTERF Thu 18-Apr-13 16:45:28

Hi Elegran

I was walking Andie to the local café at 12.47 for his choc drops which the staff like to give him.

We sat outside today but if it is cold we go in the car and I take Andie to the door and then back to the car.

I had to pay for my coffee spare ribs, peas and baked potato.

We go there for a treat once or twice a week.


Reddevil3 Fri 19-Apr-13 13:51:39

HUNTERF I thought that chocolate was poisonous for dogs?

HUNTERF Mon 22-Apr-13 07:14:59


It was chocolate specially sold for dogs.
You get it in pet shops.


HUNTERF Mon 22-Apr-13 07:23:05


If you are still on the site I did hear of a case where a husband / wife split their house in to tenants in common after the husband entered the care home.
Sadly he outlived the wife who was not in care.
Birmingham City Council tried to take all of the house but they did back down as half the house belonged to the wife and she was entitled to will her half to the offspring regardless of the fact the husband was in care.