Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Caring for my girlfriend

(6 Posts)
B00 Mon 13-May-13 12:41:24

To cut a long story short my girlfriend has neuro problem that attacks the nervous system, she has no vestibular awareness (balance) and is deaf, the problems were getting worse but we coped, in january 13 she was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumour and would not respond to treatment, so in effect her live expectancy is limited..... my question is that although I care for her regularly I am not her registered carer, I have a new business starting but I am limited to the time I can put into the business because of hospital appointments, chemo and radiotherapy sessions so I have remained on job seekers allowance, declaring any work I do. now, as I am on JSA and I want to take my girlfriend to see her father in Australia later in the year, is there such thing as compassionate leave from Job seekers? or any way I can take her and still pay my rent and live?

Thanks in advance smile


Galen Mon 13-May-13 12:49:37

Have you applied for DLA/ AA under the special rules for people who are terminally ill? Ifgrantedif you're not working you might then be eligible for careers allowance

Mishap Mon 13-May-13 13:03:17

I am sorry to hear the problems that you are facing. Please follow Galen's adivce. And it would be worth going to local CAB to enquire about your situation over JSA if you make the propsed trip to Australia.

loneranger Mon 13-May-13 13:09:56

You will not receive JSA as you will not be able for work if you are in Australia. Your girlfriend should be receiving DLA so you could get carers allowance. Just bear in mind if you take her to Australia, will she get insured and I think you are not allowed to be out of the country more than 30 days if you do not want to lose any benefits. Hope by some miracle things improve and what a nice caring man you must be.

B00 Mon 13-May-13 13:12:55

Hi Galen, we are both deaf so we have been getting DLA (soon to be PPA) for over 10 years, I cannot apply for carers allowance has her mum gets it for her.
JSA were no help, they just said I would lose my JSA as I wouldn't be available for work as I would not be in England, then I would have to re-apply again when we came back, if I worked for an employer I would get compassionate leave but I don't think your allowed to be compassionate under JSA guidelines :/

Might give CAB a try thx Mishap smile

B00 Mon 13-May-13 13:16:50

Hi Loneranger....Yes we have been quoted £287.00 insurance but got to be worth it for peace of can you not care for your soul mate.....she's my whole world and I love her to bits....broken or not :D