Gransnet forums

Care & carers

The lighter side

(43 Posts)
Aka Sun 15-Sep-13 13:20:25

Pushed my MiL to the local supermarket earlier today. She is suffering from advanced vascular dementia and though she has the odd moments of lucidity these are few and far between.
As we crossed over the 'in' road (a one way system operates here) using the marked crossing a 4x4 came out roaring up the wrong way trying to exit (despite signs saying no exit, and a no entry sign) and nearly took us out.
The idiot driver then rolled down his window and started to shout abuse at us....whereupon MiL set up such a shrieking and wailing and caterwauling that shoppers stopped in their tracks and the driver visibly started to shake.
A young woman and her partner berated the driver and an elderly man threatened to call the police.
MiL was shaking visibly.
It wasn't until all the furore had died down and we were inside the shop that I had a chance to sooth her and realised she was shaking not with fear but with laughter.
"He'll nay dae tha' agin" she whispered! The old minx!

Aka Tue 22-Oct-13 22:59:13

Oh dear, battery low sign just appeared, will have to charge up and continue tomorrow.

Aka Tue 22-Oct-13 22:57:59

Being a wet and windy day and having all four GC plus MiL, I decided we'd all go to IKEA, as there's good parking, it's wheel chair friendly and kid friendly. Everything went OKish - if a bit chaotic, with me pushing chair, MiL clutching those big yellow bags they give you or the occasional child or both, me shepherding GC like a manic border collie and we even managed coffee, juices and cakes at the cafe.

But all went pear-shaped when we came to the travellator thingmy....

Aka Tue 22-Oct-13 19:59:38

Not heard of them Agnes

Aka Tue 22-Oct-13 19:58:17

Wait till she's gone to bed and I'll tell you about our adventure in IKEA hmm

agnesP Tue 22-Oct-13 19:04:39

Nice to hear about that. Anyone hear about the great (seems to me) independant home in France called 'House Of BabaYaga' where among other things the residents care for each other and organise debates and care about ecology?

Nonu Tue 22-Oct-13 13:30:40

grin

Aka Tue 22-Oct-13 13:24:11

She has! I've got four GC (2, 3, 4 & 7) here and she's been the naughtiest!

Anyway we're all off to IKEA to wreck havoc.

Nonu Tue 22-Oct-13 13:18:21

NO IT IS NOT !! unless they have been really really norty.
You could be "ad up " for cruelty to oldies !!
[thl wink]

Aka Tue 22-Oct-13 13:09:20

Is it acceptable to sit an 88 year old on the naughty step?

harrigran Sat 28-Sep-13 17:42:32

Love that Aka smile A lady with a taste for fine food.

gracesmum Fri 27-Sep-13 22:42:26

All I can say is Good for the night staff! I hope it enlivened their shift!!smile

kittylester Fri 27-Sep-13 19:59:26

Eeeeekk! blush

Aka Fri 27-Sep-13 18:34:48

She obviously had a lot to contribute to the conversation wink

kittylester Fri 27-Sep-13 18:24:41

My brother went to see Mum on Thursday at 11.30am to find she was still in bed. He went and asked, rather crossly, why she was still in bed.

It turned out that she had been up until 5.15 am talking to the night staff about their and HER sex life. TMI grin

Aka Thu 26-Sep-13 11:29:48

Thanks for the flowers but I love the grins too. There is a lot of humour to be found if we allow it. At present DH has taken MiL out for cupcake and brew let's hope he remembers the way home grin

Sel Thu 26-Sep-13 11:24:27

Aka sweet. Glad to see you're finding humour in this flowers

Bez Thu 26-Sep-13 11:23:56

This is really great thread to read. Thank you ladies.flowers

MiceElf Thu 26-Sep-13 11:10:50

Full marks for being aspirational.

Aka Thu 26-Sep-13 10:22:03

MiL just now

'Can we have fish and chips for tea?' 'OK'

'Can we have fish and chips from the fish and chip shop for tea?' 'OK'

'Can we have fish and chips from Rick Stein's chip shop in Padstow for tea?' 'Not OK'

(We live in the West Midlands!)

Zengran Sun 22-Sep-13 07:42:12

grin

Lona Sat 21-Sep-13 17:37:34

Wonderful stories sunshine grin

gracesmum Sat 21-Sep-13 17:33:28

Aka and kittylester I am full of admiration that you can see a funny side to life and stgill raise a smile and I'cheers wine to mum and MIL - what a star!!

j08 Sat 21-Sep-13 17:32:41

So good for her Aka. grin

flowers (for you)

kittylester Sat 21-Sep-13 17:05:30

Aka grin

Last time I went to see my mum she was standing at her window stark naked - waving to anyone who passed. Laughing is the only way we cope smile

Aka Sat 21-Sep-13 17:01:57

Noticed a new, slighter leaner, more toned me in the mirror this morning and thought I'd share with you my new hobby.....wheelchair pushing.

Apart from a good pair of walking shoes, you will need a wheelchair obviously but these can be hired, borrowed or bought second hand if on a budget. Some even come with the occupant supplied. I'd suggest starting with a lighter model (occupant I mean) as while a larger person may burn more calories you can reach greater speeds with the former, especially downhill. This is fun.
Do check the brakes work though and watch up for uneven pavements on you may catapult said occupant out. Not to be recommended.

You can combine shopping with this form of exercise if the occupant is willing to hold a wire basket on his/her lap. My favourite occupant is not adverse to stopping at a local hostelry for a sweet sherry (note to self..must check for side effects re medication). In the interest of Health & Safety use lap-strap on sleeping occupant on homeward journey.