Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Some carers face losing £61.35

(8 Posts)
FlicketyB Sun 12-Oct-14 15:11:49

Gracesgran Pension Credit is not automatic, you need to apply for it. From the sound of it your mother should be receiving Attendance Allowance, the disability benefit for those who become disabled after state retirement age.

Carers allowance does not go to the disabled person, it goes to the person looking after them for at least 16 hours (I think) a week. If that person is also over retirement age that generates no cash but does increase the upper limit on Pension Credit. If the person doing the caring is working, as vampirequeen says the money is cut off as soon as their earnings reach £100 a week.

vampirequeen Sun 12-Oct-14 15:05:59

I don't believe it was unintentional. DH can only work part time because he is my carer. He earns £108 a week. As this is £8 over the cut off limit he can't claim carers allowance. If he earned £99.99 he could claim £61.35. As there is no sliding scale for carers allowance £8.01 costs us the whole amount.

Surely it would make more sense to have sliding scale so that my husband would get £53.34 for being my carer. It would still be a bargain. After all, if the government had to pay someone even at minimum wage to care for me for at least 35 hours a week it would cost them £227.50. That's assuming they don't have to work overtime or get an enhanced rate for night care.

But then this government aren't interested in fairness. A £100 cut off means they pay less out and cut the benefits budget.

Gracesgran Sun 12-Oct-14 10:24:48

I'm afraid you are right FlicketyB someone just didn't do the maths.

Mishap too with the complexity issues. I have just come across this once again with the Warm Home Discount issued through the energy suppliers. You receive £140 discount off your electricity (I know - why when many more heat with gas confused).

There is a core group of people on certain benefits - for pensioners it applies to those on Pension Guarantee Credit - who get it (hopefully) automatically. However, each company has it's "broader group" and (of course), they vary. One thing, anyone on Pension Savings Credit should check with their company as some certainly have this in their broader group.

My mother, for whom I have POA does not get either of the credits but does get some of the disability allowances for those of state pension age. I have no idea whether this means she should get this - it may but I cannot work it out for myself so I will have to rely on the company giving me the right answer. [Growl]

durhamjen Sat 11-Oct-14 23:19:26

Oh yes, Flickety. Should definitely be a like button.

Iam64 Sat 11-Oct-14 20:07:32

I wish Mishap, it's a nightmare angry

Mishap Sat 11-Oct-14 17:39:16

The labyrinthine complexity of all the benefits rules lends itself to this sort of nonsense. Let us hope that someone will get a grip on it and sort it out.

FlicketyB Sat 11-Oct-14 17:19:43

This government attentive to unintended consequences? If it is it is doing this with malice aforethought. With this government I always assume the stupidity option. One is rarely wrong.

Gracesgran Sat 11-Oct-14 09:00:44

Due to a rise in the minimum wage which will give some carers an extra £3 a week some my loose £61.35 from their Careers Allowance.

Rather than re-invent the wheel this article paullewismoney.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/carers-stuck-in-earnings-trap.html gives the details. Paul Lewis does make one suggestion at the end but really, I thought government was being more attentive to unintended consequences. sad