Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Dealing with incontinence

(15 Posts)
HootyMcOwlface Thu 25-May-17 21:07:41

Is anyone who looks after a disabled person with fecal incontinence able to advise - do you get incontinence supplies (pants, gloves, wipes) off the NHS or do you have to buy your own? The nurses did give me some, but our village district nurse team has been disbanded and now they come from town and these say they don't provide them. I am changing pants about 3_times a day and feeling a bit depressed about it all worrying about the costs, not to mention the extra washing of bed linen. Thanks x

tanith Thu 25-May-17 22:07:42

I don't have any personal experience but I do know my pharmacy dispense those supplies to people on prescription from their GP.
Could you enquire at your own GO surgery?

tanith Thu 25-May-17 22:08:16

GP surgery

ElaineI Thu 25-May-17 22:50:36

In Scotland but yes provided here by NHS and it is District Nurses who assess and organise. Failing that ask GP for referral to bowel and bladder specialist nurses.

ElaineI Thu 25-May-17 22:53:08

There might also be a washing of bed linen service. If not you can get kylie sheets different sizes and some tuck in from amazon.

Coolgran65 Thu 25-May-17 22:55:29

It was about 12 years ago, my mother had incontinnce pants provided by the NHS. They were delivered every two weeks. This was in N. Ireland.

Elrel Thu 25-May-17 23:15:01

NHS provide pads in the West Midlands. The recipient has to be assessed, I think by a health visitor.
My immediate area is fortunate to have a very accessible and supportive Continence Clinic. I don't know how common these are. People can just ring up and ask for an appointment.

Coolgran65 Thu 25-May-17 23:32:38

My GP refers patients to the local Continence (Incontinence?) Clinic and an appointment is available within one month.

HootyMcOwlface Fri 26-May-17 20:02:45

Thanks everyone I will try asking the GP again. I tried ages ago and he said ask the nurses, who don't know! It is so frustrating going round in circles.

aggie Fri 26-May-17 21:13:22

Yes we get them from the District nurse , who has to assess the client first , we got some from the hospital and then got them on Amazon while the DN got all the paper work done

MissAdventure Sat 27-May-17 11:04:18

I think I phoned my parents gp and asked the receptionist.
Within a day or two, a continence nurse came to assess, and a delivery was made a few days later, of pads.
Its probably the only part of caring for my mum that went smoothly.

kittylester Sat 27-May-17 11:31:11

My mum was in a home but they had an allowance for mum's pads.

HootyMcOwlface Sat 27-May-17 14:19:16

Thanks everyone, I'll start again with the GP after the bank holiday. We had the incontinence nurse out last year when this fecal incontinence seemed to have become a permanent thing, and the disabilities nurse from the hospital. I had a large delivery of some pants shortly after. Those have run out now and I can't find out who actually organised it to get some more. I appreciate your help!

MissAdventure Mon 29-May-17 14:08:47

The commence nurse left me a big piece of paper with a number to phone, and stressed it would be up to me to order each time, so that maybe the same in your area. Good luck!

blueskies Thu 31-Aug-17 14:55:48

My cousin is waiting for an operation for bowel cancer and has urine and faecal incontinence. Her local clinic is not helpful and she buys her own pads. I live some distance away and as she is housebound I ordered a quantity from Amazon for delivery to her. She changes them frequently as she is anxious that she might "smell". Please can anyone advise the best buys and also with regards to price.