Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Mum's dog

(18 Posts)
CurlyParsley Fri 08-Dec-17 11:58:35

Hello there, this is my first post & it's a bit of a weird one! Or maybe not! My mother (87) lives independently with her little dog. I am her carer, I visit twice a day, and do everything for her. Meals, housework, washing & personal care. My problem at the moment is that she forgets to let the dog out for a wee & every day now, when I get to her place in the morning, there is usually at least one puddle on the carpet & quite often, poo as well, which she has in the past, not seen & walked through. Apologies for being so graphic. I have no idea what to do. No matter how many times I remind mum to let the dog out, she just forgets. Re-homing the dog is not an option, she loves him & would be lost without him. I always let him out when I'm there ( she has a garden) but that's obviously not enough. Any ideas on how to cope with this would be gratefully received!

Luckygirl Fri 08-Dec-17 12:03:57

Can you put up several large notices saying "LET SCRUFF OUT FOR A WEE!!!"?

Willow500 Fri 08-Dec-17 12:24:56

Get some puppy training pads and place one where he's 'going' most frequently - at least if he goes on those it's easier to clean up but also seeing it might prompt your mum to let him out.

annodomini Fri 08-Dec-17 12:41:28

My GD had a dog nappy for her pup when she was on heat (the dog, not my GD). I don't know if this would be appropriate for a male dog.

Tegan2 Fri 08-Dec-17 12:44:44

My dog has a cat flap type hole in the wall leading to an enclosed pen so she can go out for a wee whenever she needs to.

CurlyParsley Fri 08-Dec-17 12:53:37

Thank you! Some good ideas here. I hadn't thought of puppy training pads - I shall get some straight away!

MissAdventure Fri 08-Dec-17 12:54:51

There is a charity which helps in cases like this. I can't remember what its called though, typically! Hang on, i'll have a Google. They walk dogs, and help owners who are no longer able to do whatever needs doing.

MissAdventure Fri 08-Dec-17 12:57:24

www.cinnamon.org.uk/cinnamon-trust/

Here it is. The cinnamon trust. Hope it helps.

Alima Fri 08-Dec-17 12:58:08

It is The Cinamon Trust MissA. The dog flap is a good idea as it would be small dog sized. (Can you imagine the size you would need for say, a Labrador!).

MissAdventure Fri 08-Dec-17 13:03:02

Great minds think alike, Alima smile

NanaandGrampy Fri 08-Dec-17 13:23:40

A dog door is the way to go. Like a cat flap but slightly bigger. Even older dogs can be trained to use one. You can them that can be secured also so they won’t compromise her security .

Telly Sat 09-Dec-17 11:13:17

Cinnamon Trust are excellent, I have walked numerous dogs in the past and it is possible you may be able to get someone close by who can pop in. Walkers are referenced (3 references are taken up), so should be trustworthy.

whitewave Sat 09-Dec-17 11:32:16

Yes! If mum can afford it dog walker is a good idea, as it sounds as if the poor little thing is not getting any exercise.

Friday Sat 09-Dec-17 12:29:56

Yes, agree about dog/cat flap. Simplest solution so long as garden is dog proof ???

Friday Sat 09-Dec-17 12:30:45

Dog door AND Cinnamon Trust.

Iam64 Sat 09-Dec-17 12:31:21

Cinnamon Trust is the way to go, rather than puppy pads. Otherwise, pay a dog walker to come in the morning. Keeping us with our pets as we age is so important

glammanana Sat 09-Dec-17 14:01:04

My neighbour has a small JR and he uses an oversized litter tray (the ones with the higher sides) and he uses that when my neighbour cannot open her back door onto the garden,he uses a new kind of litter which leaves no smell at all,it may be worth thinking about.

Izzywizzy Sat 09-Dec-17 16:23:06

How about Borrowmydoggy ? People who enjoy walking dogs but can't have one offer to walk the dog for free. This way everyone gets something they need but no money exchanges hands.
Of course references would have to be taken up.