Gransnet forums

Care & carers

How to manage?

(8 Posts)
HootyMcOwlface Tue 20-Feb-18 12:40:17

Yes, try the pants. Reasonable price in Wilko or Tesco I have found.

Willow500 Tue 20-Feb-18 11:11:13

Very difficult to be a carer and be ill yourself and having had this cough myself can sympathise. I had the incontinence pants for my dad - he didn't always need them but it was a case of better safe than sorry. Do you have any help coming in daily or someone who could sit with him for a couple of hours while you have a rest? Hope you feel better soon.

MawBroon Tue 20-Feb-18 11:03:02

Incontinence pants for men (a sort of pull up) for the one problem. Hang the expense.
As for carrying on, you have my sympathy. Are there any family members at all who could give you a day off or night off?
Lucky perhaps, but I managed never to succumb to anything much while Paw was alive, I know it would have been very very hard to be looking after him these past 2 weeks.
Too much Lemsip will upset your stomach, better with the tablets and herbal tea/hot honey and lemon.
Can you “buy in” any extra help e.g laundry, ironing or running the hoover round? Internet shopping with lots of easy cook/ready meals and tinned soup.
In other words make your life as easy as you possibly can.
Try to nap during the day if your nights have been disturbed too.
Good luckflowers

Granny23 Tue 20-Feb-18 10:42:43

I have the bed and chair pads but he manages to pee anywhere but on them, Grr.

MesMopTop Tue 20-Feb-18 10:39:00

Another helpful item is incontinence aids that are just like pants, you can get for men and women. Would certainly help save the bedding and chairs. Sadly, caters don’t get time off if they’re poorly or tired. Hope you get well very soon. I’d also second the paracetamol and real lemon and honey drinks. Manila honey is especially good if you can get it.

HootyMcOwlface Tue 20-Feb-18 10:33:36

From my experience you just have to drag yourself out of bed and carry on - not that it is appreciated. You can buy packs of absorbent bed/chair pads off Amazon and other online retailers, also our chemist sells them but much pricier.

Nonnie Tue 20-Feb-18 10:24:56

Not a carer so don't know but if it is the cough that has been doing the rounds he was very lucky to get better so quickly. It can last for months. Hopefully you will feel better in a day or two.

Perhaps stop taking over the counter remedies and stick to paracetamol without all the added stuff and drink real lemon in hot water, they say honey helps.

Granny23 Tue 20-Feb-18 10:21:29

Dh has been ill since Thursday Friday with a hacking Cough, causing him to wet himself, the bed, his chair, Much better today and got a good long night's sleep. So far so good, but now I have caught it, feel like death warmed up, sore head, shoulders, ears and chest + gurgling tummy,probably due to taking Lemsip.

What do other carers do in this situation?