Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Keyless entry system

(8 Posts)
Seaside22 Tue 03-Jul-18 16:51:40

Hi, I'm worried about going on holiday and leaving my mum on her own, she has angina, and frequently feels unwell.She lives in a sheltered first floor flat with no intercom system, if she needed to summon help she wouldn't be able to get downstairs to let anybody in.Has anyone else had the same problem ?

Bridgeit Tue 03-Jul-18 17:16:24

I know some people have boxes next to the door with a key in .The people who you need to enter the property then have the code to the box & access the key.

Bridgeit Tue 03-Jul-18 17:17:00

I think social services will give you the information for doing this

Melanieeastanglia Tue 03-Jul-18 17:26:12

I helped an elderly person years ago and he had a box next to the door with a key inside it. You had to know the code to use to get into the property. The system worked very well.

glammanana Tue 03-Jul-18 18:25:30

You can have an emergency system set up from your landline for either full time or for short periods and mum would just have to press the buzzer to summon help a key safe is fitted to the outside door,again Age UK will point you in the right direction,

Seaside22 Tue 03-Jul-18 19:14:39

Thank you so much everyone. At least there is a solution.I'll get going tomorrow with it, and hopefully have some peace of mind while I'm away.

Willow500 Tue 03-Jul-18 19:26:24

My parents had a secure key box for the carers. They also had the alarm system installed - a button on a cord worn round the neck, there was even a button on the skirting board in the bathroom in case of falls. It works very well but unfortunately if you have dementia it's not so good as you have to know to push the button for help.

Seaside22 Fri 06-Jul-18 12:37:10

Update.wasn't difficult at all, mum phoned the housing association, they are coming next week to install a personal alarm and a key box.Wish everything was that easy.Thanks again.