Gransnet forums

Care & carers

High bp elderly mum

(18 Posts)
Katyj Thu 07-Mar-19 19:34:43

Just thought you ladies may be able to advise me.Mum called for a home visit on Monday, she was suffering chest pains, the Dr came and found her bp very high, and prescribed a new bp tablet, when I visited her today she hadn't been taking it, because she had a suspicion it was the same tablet she had to have withdrawn as it made her ill, when I checked she was right, good job she did'nt take it. I took her down to the Dr to check her bp, you can do this yourself without having to see anyone, it is still very high, I told the receptionist what had happened and asked for an appointment, apparently there aren't any appointments left this week either to see a nurse Dr or even a phone appointment. What would you do, do you think I should call 111 ?

Bridgeit Thu 07-Mar-19 19:38:40

Yes or go to outpatients dept. Hope all will be ok

rubysong Thu 07-Mar-19 21:11:35

Don't they have appointments saved for emergencies at the Drs? They should and your mum's BP sounds like it needs rapid attention. Hope all is well.

trisher Thu 07-Mar-19 21:21:45

Ring her GP again. Tell the receptionist that your mum needs to see a doctor asap, tell her if she doesn't give her an immediate appointment you are intending to make a complaint about the practice, that the basis of this will be the failure to properly look at the patient's records before prescribing something that has previously caused her problems, an inability or reluctance to give an appointment and a failure of the reception staff to make this a priority. If she still refuses ask to speak to the practice manager and repeat the threat. If you still don't get an appointment insist that it is an emergency and your mum must have a home visit or you are taking her to A&E. If you don't get anywhere go to A&E. Good luck and if your GP doesn't oblige do complain in writing.

Antonia Thu 07-Mar-19 21:23:52

Ring 111, they should ask your mum questions and on the basis of her answers, they will either book an urgent doctor's appointment for her or tell her to go to A&E. We rang 111 for my husband when there was no doctor's appointment for 3 weeks, and after the 111 phone call, he finished up with a doctor's appointment the same day.

Antonia Thu 07-Mar-19 21:25:37

I think trisher's response is better than my advice tbh.

Katyj Fri 08-Mar-19 08:47:54

Thank you ladies.I've managed to get her a phone appointment for today.I've had to wait on the phone 1hr just to get though, would have preferred her to see to Dr, but it's better than nothing.I'll let you know how she gets on.Thanks again.

EllanVannin Fri 08-Mar-19 10:58:33

Things are getting worse aren't they ? I've got that way that I dread anything going wrong and hope and pray that it doesn't.

I hope your mother is alright Katyj as high BP needs investigating.

Teetime Fri 08-Mar-19 11:31:04

I would ring 111.

Katyj Fri 08-Mar-19 16:55:00

Update.Mum had a phone appointment with a different Dr, said she has to take the new drug again that made her ill, there's no choice because her bp is so high. Dr says that the consultant didn't change the drug last time, but he definitely did, because I was there with her and it was taken from her weekly dosset box immediately. She has an appointment to see him next Friday. Feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall. Just have to hope for the best.

trisher Sat 09-Mar-19 12:30:35

Katyj if you are still worried and you have a letter from your mum's consultant with a phone number ring and ask to speak to his secretary. Explain the problem and ask for advice or an earlier appointment if they have a cancellation. If you don't have the number ring the hospital and ask to be put through to his secretary. You may find it difficult because consultant's secretaries are sometimes part time, but if you persevere I am sure they will help you. Good luck. (Can you tell I have spent a considerable amount of time dealing with my mum and her many health issues?)

Katyj Sat 09-Mar-19 17:25:32

Thank you Trisher.She hasn't got another appointment to see that particular consultant, because the last time she went her gp had sent her to the wrong consultant, he said he coud'nt really help her much this time, but did take her off the bp Meds that he thought were causing her problems and gave her a beta blocker instead .She has been well apart from her high bp. Being pushed from pillar to post.You have my sympathies trying to deal with the system, the lack of communication and care is so stressful.

MrsEggy Sat 09-Mar-19 17:31:58

Is your Mom over 80? GPs are supposed to give the over 80s priority and it's worth playing the age card!

trisher Sat 09-Mar-19 17:42:09

Wow Katyj her GP sounds to be a bit useless, is there another better one any where near? If so I would change.

Katyj Sat 09-Mar-19 22:51:47

Yes my mum is 87. Might start thinking about changing surgery's it's a big practice with 12 doctors, but still very difficult to get appointments.

EllanVannin Sat 09-Mar-19 23:07:11

I've been taking Bisoprolol for years now and providing the dose is right they've been fine. The strength is 3.75mg, daily so not such a high dose to cause unwanted side-effects but enough to keep the BP normal which it has been for a while.
I'm never in any hurry to see the GP, whoever it might be as they're all different whenever I've been.
There's no continuity any more. Gone are the family doctors sad

B9exchange Sat 09-Mar-19 23:23:27

Thank goodness she has you to fight her corner, so many elderly people have no one. I fear you will have to make a complete nuisance of yourself to get her the correct treatment. This may sound crazy, but actually a medium glass of pure beetroot juice has been proven to reduce blood pressure, certainly works for me, might be worth trying whilst you battle on?

www.nhs.uk/news/food-and-diet/beetroot-juice-for-blood-pressure/

Katyj Sun 17-Mar-19 07:46:50

Hi, and update just to let you know how were getting on.Went with mum docs on Friday, the bp tablet that was making her ill previously, seems to be only making her tired at the moment, her bp has lowered dramatically, and is a little on the low side, so it has been decided to lower one of her other tablets by 2mg this week and the same next, slthough the Dr had different info as to the strength of her tablets to what it actually says on her dossette box, so I've had to work it out for her.
She's had chest pain early Friday morning, which lasted a few hours, but eventually faded.Dr says now, chest pain that doesn't respond to her angina spray needs urgent attention and she must call an ambulance. Can't believe she said she wouldn't as the neighbours, would all be outside looking to see what was going on, honestly, you couldn't make it up.
So that's it for now, helping me to write it down, as a diary, as I can sometimes forget where we are with things .Hoping things settle down soon.