Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Shingles

(4 Posts)
trisher Fri 05-Jul-19 19:31:53

Old people do have problems as they grow older and the sense of taste diminishes. There are fortified drinks you can buy which provide nourishment, or you could make your own www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/coping/physically/diet-problems/managing/putting-on-weight/high-calorie-drinks
Usually old people prefer sweet things so things like creamy ice cream may be good. If she enjoys them in hot weather you could try giving her ice lollies.

Carillion Fri 05-Jul-19 19:29:38

Pollyanna sorry to hear your mum is unwell with this.
I didn't have chicken pox until I was thirty-five and have subsequently had shingles twice. Both times seemed to be brought on after stressful events in life and the related run-down feelings which accompany stress.
Both times I was told to rest as much as possible and when I couldn't face eating my DH made sure I was never dehydrated. He didn't push the eating, but was adamant about how much liquid intake I had.
It does take time and although your mum's age is obviously a big factor it is obvious that you are being very vigilant.
So try to keep her spirits up... And yours sending positive thoughts. X

Yorksherlass Fri 05-Jul-19 19:19:48

I have had shingles twice and wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy, it so painful also makes you very tired and listless , apparently it’s worse when on head and face, there’s not much you can do , just be there for her even though it’s hard.

Pollyanna2 Fri 05-Jul-19 15:49:37

I'm looking after my mum (92) who is recovering from shingles on her face. She's very lethargic (bit better now some tablets reduced), and is gradually doing a bit more around the house. I'm having a hard time getting her to drink and eat enough though - says she's not hungry/thirsty and for me to stop nagging! I'm in contact with the community nurse, but mum won't take much notice of her either. Feeling stressed and useless...Anyone else had experience of shingles?