Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Help for carers.

(8 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 30-Jul-19 20:06:06

.....or even my OH......

Luckygirl Tue 30-Jul-19 20:00:08

Try this: www.crossroadscandeg.org.uk/

They are based in Gloucestershire and have provided help for our OH on occasions.

kittylester Tue 30-Jul-19 19:31:00

If you contact your local Alzheimers Society I'm sure they will be glad of your service as a befriended for person with dementia which then gives the carer some time to themselves.

There are lots of roles - I help run Carers information courses (CrISP) which Carers find invaluable.

Scentia Tue 30-Jul-19 19:08:02

Sorry meant to start a new thread!

Scentia Tue 30-Jul-19 19:07:36

My fathers care home rang today to tell me they are going to have to put ‘safeguard’ in place as he is making a nuisance of himself to a lady in the care home who does not have the capacity to stop him. It is getting very serious and he is basically sexually assaulting her. He is thought to have no confusion at all but this is VERY out of character and I am wondering if it could be the start of dementia. I have asked them to call his GP and get him assessed, but what will happen if they put a safeguard in place? What does that mean.

Daisymae Tue 30-Jul-19 18:56:55

I applied for our AGE UK befriending service and ended up helping people with their benefits claims forms. Just saying.

MissAdventure Tue 30-Jul-19 18:33:36

Age UK have a befriending service.
Would you volunteer for that, perhaps?
There must be many people who would absolutely love some time to spend doing their own thing for an hour or three!smile

beautybumble Tue 30-Jul-19 18:24:26

Hi. I've been trying to find online an organization that helps carers of relatives with dementia. There are some around the country, but not in my district in Gloucestershire. I want to volunteer as I know how hard it is to care day in day out with very little help. I would help out a morning or afternoon a week with whatever the carer needs help with. I have family that takes up a lot of my time, but one day a week would be better than no help. Have you got any suggestions? Thank you in advance.