Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Carers and long nails(I mean talons) [hmm]

(10 Posts)
bikergran Mon 09-Mar-20 08:35:40

Hello all , just a little query, wont go in to detail but my mum had to have the crisis care team on Friday(she had a fall has cancer)but otherwise not too bad.

On Friday we had to have urgent care at home because of fall and Mcmillan nurse came sorted everything out.

They sent a carere the following morning to assess mum and the day after the same carere came to help mum.

When the carer came to asses I said ohhh look at your nails! she said yes I didnt know they had got so long.

They were talons with colours nails on presume acrylic they extended at least half inch beyond normal nails.

My question is should carers have such long nails? When I mentioned to my dd, she said deff not! my dd is a hca in hospital, they are not allowed any long nails/nail varnish etc.

I didn't want to get the girl into trouble and as we are all new to this I 'sure what the protocol is.

I have an elderly friend I visit who has carers and one of them accidently caught her with her nail (not sure how long her nails were) my friend had to have the scratch dressed visa the district nurses as it become infected.

So should professional carers have short nails, are they allowed nail extensions etc.? if so have they to wear gloves.?

lemongrove Mon 09-Mar-20 08:41:47

Not sure what they are allowed, but common sense and hygiene should prevail for carers ( common sense being not so common!)
Contact the head of the dept and talk to them about it?
Hope your Mother receives good care.

Hetty58 Mon 09-Mar-20 08:46:42

I can't see how they can work properly with long talons. I've cut my nails very short now that extra hand washing and nail brushing is recommended - and I'm just a pensioner!

bikergran Mon 09-Mar-20 08:49:26

off out will pop back tonight thanks all.. carers do a great job, just all new for us at the mo and have to keep my mum safe, but she is on steroids so more prone to infection.(she is very independant) says she won' t need the careres for long smile

MissAdventure Mon 09-Mar-20 09:02:29

They should have their nails kept short, and without nail varnish or rings on their fingers. (Wedding bands are ok)

annsixty Mon 09-Mar-20 09:06:04

As soon as the carers came into the house when my H needed care they put gloves on.
With very long nails I think they would have torn them or at least they would have been uncomfortable.
I would ring the manager of the care agency and mention it.

Luckygirl Mon 09-Mar-20 09:40:07

I agree - long talons are incompatible with a personal care role and make is impossible to wear the necessary gloves.

I used to be a bit wary (as a social worker) of mothers with long talons - how do you hug your child, stroke their face or do any of the normal motherly things if you have pointed weapons on the end of your fingers?

ValerieF Wed 11-Mar-20 19:30:21

A bit ott in my opinion. I would only worry that the carer isn't doing his/her job correctly. Carers are in demand, especially good reliable ones. The last thing I would want to do is complain about the length of their finger nails. They should, however, have gloves on when hands-on treatment of their clients, for their own safety. If the length of their nails is preventing them from doing so then that is a problem.

Shinamae Sat 26-Dec-20 00:15:12

I am a carer and I believe the guidelines are if you hold your hands in front of your face Palms facing you ,you should not be able to see the tips of your nails over the tops of your fingers also I never wear nail varnish....

geekesse Sat 26-Dec-20 00:44:57

It’s just possible the carer was expecting to have Christmas off and was called in to deal with your emergency assessment. I hate it when everyone assumes from the off that someone is unprofessional and should be complained about. Did she cause any harm? If not, I’d suggest that a little charity might encourage you to back off.