Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Overnight stay from tier1 to 3 to visit elderly mum- is it allowed

(4 Posts)
mamaa Mon 19-Oct-20 13:58:02

Hello, At present where I live is in tier 1- my 89 year old mum has Alzheimers and lives at home with my brother in a tier 3 town. He's mid 60's and is still going to work every day with carers going in 4 time a day. Since lockdown Mum has not been able to access the daycare centre for obvs reasons and has deteriorated in all aspects greatly. (I last saw her in July- she has no recollection of who I am or where she lives always asking to go home). Consequently my brother and I have been discussing residential care- and he'd like me to go up and help him sort it. My question is- is it wise to do so and am I allowed to? Its a 300 mile trip up there passing through mainly tier 3 towns on the way which would necessitate staying overnight obvs. Also if I did go would I need to isolate on my return? (I'm an early 60's overweight gran, helping out with grandchildren who live close by.' school pick-ups etc). TIA ( ps have also posted this on the ask a gram and the coronavirus page)

mamaa Mon 19-Oct-20 13:58:27

Ask a gran not gram!

EllanVannin Mon 19-Oct-20 14:21:46

Sadly, I think it matters when going from county to county as anyone can carry the virus and personally I don't think it's wise with things as they are. It's better to be safe than sorry, difficult as the situation is. Same county would have been more acceptable.

mamaa Mon 19-Oct-20 14:58:57

Thankyou Ellan I think you are right but trying to convince my brother who wasn't listening when I tried to point out the issues wont be easy...I've offered to do the 'office work' etc and anyway if it came to it we wouldn't be allowed into the home so I don't see how my being there physically would help, apart from being company for him of course. I can understand this and sympathise but there are many who are also feeling very lonely at this time and he does have family around who he can see outside...