Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Live-in carer

(10 Posts)
Nanami Thu 03-Dec-20 21:50:03

Hello - I live in London, near my mother who is 88 and has Alzheimer's. I'm trying to keep her in her own home for as long as possible and we're at the stage where we need a live-in carer. I definitely want to use an agency as I am reliant on Local Authority Direct Payments and it's much easier - please can anyone recommend an agency they have worked with - there are so many to choose from - where to start! thank you in advance

Kseniya Thu 17-Dec-20 15:10:29

Nanami

Hello - I live in London, near my mother who is 88 and has Alzheimer's. I'm trying to keep her in her own home for as long as possible and we're at the stage where we need a live-in carer. I definitely want to use an agency as I am reliant on Local Authority Direct Payments and it's much easier - please can anyone recommend an agency they have worked with - there are so many to choose from - where to start! thank you in advance

Hi! I can’t recommend anyone here, but I can advise you to write a similar post on Facebook in a group in your area, for example. they often help and share contacts

lindiann Thu 17-Dec-20 15:16:37

Carers UK have an excellent forum and contact with a team of experts www.carersuk.org/forum

Hetty58 Thu 17-Dec-20 15:17:25

Nanami, I think you will need to discuss the options with your mum's social worker. Live in care is very expensive and most carers work shifts. Here in/near London our choices are limited.

MissAdventure Thu 17-Dec-20 15:23:13

"Elderly Care: Find Carers Near You - Care.com UK" www.care.com/en-gb/profiles/elderly-care

This seems to be a valid website, but I would check before making any decisions, perhaps by asking on a dementia forum.

I haven't done live-in care, but have met a lot of people it works for.

JuliaM Thu 17-Dec-20 16:10:17

I have worked as a live in Carer when I was younger. This was done via a large national Care agency, who also provided qualified Nurses if required. It is very rare that the Care is delivered by just one Carer, a shift pattern divided by two or three carers is more usual, its just too much to expect of a single individual without allowing them a regular period of 'Off Duty'!
There used to be a company by the name of 'Country Cousins' who provided a national live in care service where two carers worked a rota of a fortnight each, giving them time to have some family life of their own. The service is quite expensive though, and you are also required to provide Food for the 'Cousin', and re-emburse them for their travel costs to and from their home Address every time they they had their fortnight off.
Quite a large amount of their Clients were London area based. The Cousins came from all walks of life, and all age groups and Nationalitys. Many of them were retired themselves.

tinaf1 Thu 17-Dec-20 19:35:01

Have you been on site called Nextdoor, sign in to your local area ie postcode etc and ask for recommendations. I have found this site very useful for local services. Good luck

EllanVannin Thu 17-Dec-20 20:48:19

I remember doing a short stint of a couple of days/nights as a favour and I was so whacked because I was working in between that the old dear who I was caring for brought ME a cup of tea in the mornings gringrin.

kevinjdalton Wed 12-Oct-22 13:03:17

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MadeInYorkshire Wed 12-Oct-22 13:11:59

Message withdrawn as it quotes a deleted post.