Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Give carers a break

(4 Posts)
varian Wed 17-Feb-21 14:34:21

Carers are under enormous pressure - most carers are now exhausted.

Most haven’t had a single break since the pandemic started.

Liberal Democrats are calling on the Government to give carers a break.

We're calling for emergency funding to councils so they can offer every unpaid carer the support services they need to take a weekly break.

change.libdems.org.uk/helpcarers

timetogo2016 Wed 17-Feb-21 14:39:37

Just signed the petition varian.
And not just because my step/d is a carer,i think it`s a must for all those doing a damn good job.

Peasblossom Wed 17-Feb-21 16:27:27

I absolutely support this, but as someone who cared for my mother from the age of nine, a husband, a sister intermittently and now a partner who’s hardly been out of the house since last March, I can’t help wondering where the support is going to come from.

I’m afraid it’s a bit of an empty gesture.Like when you’re told “You must look after yourself too”. Grrr!

Sorry to put a downer on what might help a few.

Betty65 Sun 11-Apr-21 17:51:53

Why do we expect the government to solve every issue. There are lots of us carers who are at our wits end at the moment and yes, Peasblossom - it drives me mad too when people say look after yourself too. All of us carers do our best and when we come to that place where we are going to implode we usually scream or drink too much. All of our coping mechanisms are different so goodness knows what help the government would be. We can’t take a week off of life but we can try to take a week off of caring, let’s give it a go - for our sanity