Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Virgin axing PAYG service from next Jan.

(12 Posts)
ExDancer Wed 20-Oct-21 14:33:29

I do not need a mobile, but I have one in case of emergencies.
I have a tablet and a laptop, and we have a landline for my husbands's business so I see no point in forking out £8+ a month to duplicate these services.
I top up £10 or so, in advance and this lasts me 3 or 4 months, so I have the convenience of calling home (say) if I'm ready to be picked up after a doctor's or hairdresser's appointment, or if my car breaks down.
I'm with Virgin and they are not providing this service next year. I would assume others will follow their example.
Can anyone suggest a reliable alternative?

Jackiest Wed 20-Oct-21 14:47:20

I use Smarty. It is fairly cheap 4GB is more than enough and because my husband has it as well it is even cheaper than the £6 they quote here.
smarty.co.uk/

Blossoming Wed 20-Oct-21 14:52:59

I have a mobile, not a Smartphone, for much the same reasons as the OP. I use O2 PAYG. I don’t need a data plan, just calls and texts. My iPad mini takes care of anything requiring a network connection or an app and fits in a bag.

Jackiest Wed 20-Oct-21 15:53:51

Before I changed to Smarty I had Tesco PAYG no data and £10 would last me over a year. But so many of the groups I am in and also the family use whatsapp and Signal for messaging I needed data on the phone and not just when I was at home. I also find is useful that if I am out with the laptop or tablet I can always get internet to them via the phone. Which is probably safer than using a public unencrypted wifi network.

Blossoming Wed 20-Oct-21 16:05:08

Jackiest unfortunately I haven’t found a smartphone that suits my impairments. They are all pretty much unusable for me. I don’t use public unencrypted WiFi networks so that isn’t a problem for me.

Jackiest Wed 20-Oct-21 16:26:44

Blossoming

Jackiest unfortunately I haven’t found a smartphone that suits my impairments. They are all pretty much unusable for me. I don’t use public unencrypted WiFi networks so that isn’t a problem for me.

I don't know what your impairments are but I find a smart phone a pain to use. My fingers always seem to hit the wrong letter. I use whatsapp on the computer, it goes via the phone but I then have a proper keyboard making life a lot easier. It is also big enough for me to be able to read easily.

Blossoming Wed 20-Oct-21 16:34:36

Visually impaired and no use of my left hand. Like you I hit the wrong letters and can’t see what’s happening! Smartphones are not for everyone.

Pittcity Wed 20-Oct-21 17:14:27

You can set mobiles up to follow voice controls, so no need to type.
As for a replacement for PAYG, you can get cheap SIM only contracts that do not tie you in for a period of time. These are about £5 a month.
Check moneysavingexpert.com for the best deals.

Chestnut Wed 20-Oct-21 17:42:34

Definitely Smarty. I get unlimited texts and phone calls (to landlines and mobiles) for £5 a month on their basic tariff. I don't use it for the internet but if you do so at home then it uses your home internet. I do not use my landline at all because the calls are so much more.

Nannarose Wed 20-Oct-21 18:00:06

I use the Phone Co-op who are helpful and reliable:

broadband.yourcoop.coop/

I do exactly as you do ExDancer.

Also, those of you who find some of the phones awkward and difficult should have a look at their site - they sell 'easy to use' Doro & Emporia.

I haven't tried either of those - we have a Fairphone, which they also sell. Every part is replaceable. I have had it for 5 years and have just replaced the battery.

Esspee Wed 20-Oct-21 19:04:02

Lots of companies still do top ups. Just Google Top Ups.

I prefer unlimited calls and texts, plus 100 minutes of international calls and 3GB of data for £5 a month from Lebara. It was a money saving expert Best Buy so may not still be available but I am sure they have great deals. You are not tied to a fixed contract either.

ExDancer Thu 21-Oct-21 15:22:14

Thanks, it looks as though I'll be able to jump from supplier to supplier until they all stop providing a pay-as-you-go service, then it'll be £5 a month for the luxury of carrying a handset in my bag.
I might use it if I've lost DH in the supermarket, or if I need collecting from an appointment, or if I have an accident in my car, perhaps, if I think about it.
Oh and a friend kindly showed me how to take a (rather poor) photo. Yes, that's worth £5 a month! hmm