Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Possible future care

(13 Posts)
M0nica Sat 23-Oct-21 13:06:41

I am quite happy with my house being sold to fund my care, should I need it.

State help should only be availaable to those who have no resources to pay for themelves.

Aveline Sat 23-Oct-21 09:16:06

Katie59 it's all talk in Scotland. It's extremely hard to even be assessed up here far less access any of the much vaunted 'free personal care'. MiL died waiting for it. As her carer I was assessed and found to be needing referred to a support group then informed that there wasn't one. Meanwhile we just managed. We had to.
I'm fully expecting to have to fund all our future care needs. When our savings and house have gone then God knows what will happen to us.

Katie59 Sat 23-Oct-21 08:04:26

If long term nursing care is needed there is no way most of us can pay, other than with the value of the house, the average house might pay for 4 yrs care,then it’s LA.
Or you could move to Scotland to retire and take advantage of their more generous care system.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 23-Oct-21 07:35:08

We have an enormous Nursing Home/retirement complex nearing completion in our local Market Town, eyewateringly expensive.and although it isn’t finished yet, the Care home side of it is in use already.
I’m sure there will be a waiting list soon. I think the idea is that you move into a Retirement apartment and then when you need it you slide accross into the Care Home! Not as easy as it sounds

Shandy57 Fri 22-Oct-21 19:30:16

Sorry to hear that Oopsadaisy1. My husband took his mother's death very badly, my condolences to your husband.

I've just looked at the local nursing home I had thought of going to if I need to - so disappointing, it's got a 'needs improvement' grading following the recent inspection.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 22-Oct-21 16:38:53

Sadly MIL died during lockdown, house sale went through ok and debts were paid off to the home, they knew she had a house to sell and the debt was held until after the sale went through, fortunately, although it was a while until they got the money as Probate was held up due to Covid.
Don’t forget that the first 12 weeks are ‘free’ if you have less than £23,000 savings ( check that amount) so you have 12 weeks to get your act together as it were.
If MIL had lived after the money had run out, then we would have had to go to the local authority and get them to place her and pay for her care.

Shandy57 Fri 22-Oct-21 13:08:02

Just phoned Age UK and a leaflet is winging its way here - plus I've found this article on MSE. Thank you everyone!

www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2021/09/_--rise-in-national-insurance-contributions-will-come-into-force/

Shandy57 Fri 22-Oct-21 12:27:43

Thank you, I will have a look at Age UK Germanshepherdsmum. I am just thinking of myself at the moment Merylstreep smile I've just spoken to my aunt and eight weeks later she still can't use her Freesat box, I've just arranged and paid for a different company to visit her. Is it her, or is it the box! So difficult long distance.

Shandy57 Fri 22-Oct-21 12:22:52

Hello Oopsadaisy1, thank you for replying. I am definitely thinking of saving up just in case. I am glad your MIL is now safe and warm and being looked after, but imagine it was very stressful for you and your husband overseeing the sale of the family home.

I'm asking because my lovely widowed neighbour is 84, lives alone, and has recently told me she wants to go into a home as she feels really weak. She has been assessed for home care, and is paying £22 per hour for carers to come in, but I think she is too worried to live alone any longer. She said she has 'some savings' - but I've no idea how much you need to be accepted somewhere.

As you say, as I own my own home I'd be a self funding client. What has worried me was a post on here where someone had been told they had to have enough funding for a full two years before being accepted. At £1400 per week, that would be £145,000. I have heard there is a proposed cap of £85K on the 'care' part, I assume my pension would go towards the 'living' part.

MerylStreep Fri 22-Oct-21 12:15:16

Shandy
Are you thinking of your Aunt?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 22-Oct-21 12:11:07

I would suggest asking Age UK for some advice. If you’re thinking of giving money or other assets away to avoid care costs, such gifts can be set aside as ‘deliberate deprivation of assets’ so do be careful there.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 22-Oct-21 12:05:11

Crikey shandy that’s a big question!
When my MIL went into a care home last year it was £1400 a week, no chance of us paying that, so the house was sold.
I’m not sure that you would escape having to sell up to pay for care.
Home care can be obtained but again at a cost.
Or if you live in rented accommodation and have no savings then I guess the Local Authority will pay all of your costs and find a home for you.
Are you thinking of trying to save up some money ‘just in case’?

Shandy57 Fri 22-Oct-21 11:35:53

Can anyone point me towards information on how to prepare for future care costs please?