Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Buying clothes for 94 year old in denial !

(11 Posts)
Juliecymru Thu 02-Dec-21 07:44:03

Any ideas? My mum,94 lives in a nursing home and needs new nighties for Christmas, not a problem except she always checks the label of any clothes I buy her to check that they are no largrr than a size 14. Since mum’s stroke etc she is in a wheelchair and unable to walk and put on a lot of weight - she’s at least 16 if not an 18 or even more it’s very hard to tell actually! Most likely I’ll buy Marks & Spencer‘s and take out the labels ( though she’ll wonder about that!) and hope she doesn’t need to return them but any other bright ideas would be appreciated!

Hetty58 Thu 02-Dec-21 08:07:26

My mother was also in a wheelchair - and a home - yet thought she was a lot bigger (opposite problem) so wanted a size 16/18 although she was a 12/14.

I would try to get something in the middle. 14/16 as it helps, with dressing, to have roomier clothes. Fortunately, she insisted that all labels were removed in case they scratched her (sensitive skin, like me).

I'd buy her brushed cotton nighties from Chums, remove the labels, then put her name in (all clothes had to be named) and just hope that she liked them.

Hetty58 Thu 02-Dec-21 08:12:01

(and another thing) she insisted on long sleeves, not wanting her arms 'on show' - so that cut down the options - yet didn't mind revealing her little old legs!

Grammaretto Thu 02-Dec-21 08:23:17

When my mum was bed-bound, the only thing she could wear were those poly-cotton nighties you see in shops either at hospitals or places such M&co. Nightwear Heaven, or Damart.

And cut the labels out! I was told to do that for myself when I was too body conscious.

MerylStreep Thu 02-Dec-21 08:23:21

If you cut the labels out tell her they are M&S but bought on EBay where there are companies that buy up end of line M&S clothing but have to cut the labels out.
I’ve had some good bargains from these companies.

Pittcity Thu 02-Dec-21 08:39:47

Why not buy something with the small, medium, large sizing. Tell your Mum that in this shop size 14 is an extra large in this shop and laugh over these "modern sizes".

Maggiemaybe Thu 02-Dec-21 08:40:11

If she’s definitely going to check, could you perhaps replace the labels with the ones on your mum’s old nighties?

Cabbie21 Thu 02-Dec-21 08:41:29

Could you sew a name tape over the label to hide the size?

25Avalon Thu 02-Dec-21 08:48:55

Tell her the label was very scratchy so you thought it would be more comfortable to cut it out. Mil used to do this with a lot of her clothes.

Grammaretto Thu 02-Dec-21 16:05:10

No fibs required - just cut out the labels. Put in your own name tape as suggested.

Sarnia Thu 02-Dec-21 16:07:58

Bless her. 94 and still concerned about being over a size 14.