Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Attendance Allowance

(13 Posts)
Graygirl Fri 22-Apr-22 11:55:21

This week has been great DH awarded Attendance Allowance with night element, blue badge arrived. Very new to this, is there any thing or any one I need to contact in case we are entitled to any other benefits or discounts. DD has taken care of all forms for me could not have coped with out her DH has been fighting me for a year about doing them ,

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 22-Apr-22 14:21:03

You must be very pleased and relieved. I think Citizens Advice or Age UK could help as regards any further benefits you may be able to claim but someone far more knowledgeable than I am will probably be along soon.

Cabbie21 Fri 22-Apr-22 14:32:19

Good news!
Is it worth doing a benefit check to see if you are entitled to Pension Credit? There would be a Carer’s premium and a disability premium, I think, but I am not well up on that one.

There may also be a possibility of a reduction in your Council Tax, and / or Housing Benefit.

welbeck Fri 22-Apr-22 14:46:23

i think the reduction in council tax is only for severe mental impairment.
but am not up to date.
uk age might help.

62Granny Fri 22-Apr-22 14:49:52

You local authority ( council) may have a benefits advisor ,in our area they are called welfare rights, they may also have a carers association worth enquiring but otherwise Age concern are very helpful.

Cabbie21 Fri 22-Apr-22 15:24:59

Agreed Welbeck, , but I do not know whether or not that is relevant here, so thought I would mention it in case it applies.

Graygirl Sat 23-Apr-22 11:52:30

Thanks to you all, bad night so 3am ish found me on my kindle.
Will be looking into pension credit next week, also been given a contact at local council by DD who has Rheumatoid arthritis , to see if can get ramp\ half step for front door together with support bars. All ready have walk in shower .
The best thing is I can do all this myself also going to call the local carers centre they run drop in coffee natter sessions. DD worried about my mental health insists I get time to my self as over the last couple of years with covid DH is used to me always around

UserNamesAreOverrated Sat 23-Apr-22 13:32:29

It might be worth checking if you are entitled to Carer's Allowance, now that your DH has been awarded Attendance Allowance. CA is means tested so best check on the government website but if you're entitled you should claim.

silverlining48 Sat 23-Apr-22 13:35:59

Think carers allowance is only payable to those under pension age.

silverlining48 Sat 23-Apr-22 13:38:21

Gray girl caring is a stressful and difficult thing to do so if there is @ drop in centre do use it fir support.

pensionpat Sat 23-Apr-22 14:29:27

Gray girl. If you are over State Pension age, and receive a State Pension of more than £69.70 p.w. Carers Allowance will be wiped out. However, it is still worth claiming it, as I have. You will receive a letter telling you that you’re not entitled to Carers Allowance (the money) but you have an underlying entitlement to Carers Allowance. This is important, because it is the way you will get other help. It is very easy to claim CA on line.

M0nica Sat 23-Apr-22 16:25:08

Carers allowance, cash element, can only be paid to a carer of working age, but there are other benefits related to Pension Credir, Housing benefit, free dental treatment etc, that you can get even if you are over retirement age, so always worth applying for, regardless of age.

welbeck Sat 23-Apr-22 16:37:11

that's good point pensionpat.
the system is so complicated; people wouldn't think of that.
that's why it's good to take advice from those who know, advice agencies/support groups.