Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Any advice welcome.

(12 Posts)
DollyD Sat 12-Aug-23 18:35:16

For the last 12 months I have been doing the shopping and dropping sleeping tablets off for an older relative,
my daughter did this at weekends.
We drop the sleeping tablets daily as he has very mild short term memory loss and sometimes forgets he’s taken them but otherwise he’s fine.
His mobility has not been good for a long time and he is very frail but everything was fine until about two weeks ago, when he became very weak and has been bed ridden since.
He stopped eating and hardly drank, the GP came and thought like us that he was probably end of life.
He has always been terrified of going to hospital or a nursing home, so we promised we would do everything we can to keep him at home and the GP is onboard with this.
The GP came again this week and said he would ask District Nurses to call in but they haven’t been in touch yet.
The point I’m getting to is that we are finding it really hard to look after him, my daughter arrives to wet bed most mornings, although a special undersheet is sometimes the only thing needs changing, we don’t know if he’s spilling the bottle or actually wetting the bed.
She’s so stressed she’s had to take time off work, although she’s wonderful with him and looks after him in the day time but has her own family to look after.
I go up in the evenings to see he is ok and comfortable and to give him his sleeping tablets.
When I went last night, he was quite angry with me and asked why I didn’t give him the tablets to take himself, like I used to do.
I told him that for two nights he had taken them too early and couldn’t fall asleep but was just very woozy and as though he was drunk or something and from 6pm I went backwards and forwards because he was ringing me, to sit him up, lie him down, then a minute later sit him up again.
This went on till 12 midnight for two nights and I tried to be understanding but it was getting on my nerves a bit.
Anyway, my daughter told me it’s too much for me to do that and I should just take the tablets up about 8.30 and then it’s up to him if he takes them then …….but let him know, unless it’s an emergency you will not be going back.
He is very angry with me and thinks I am trying to control him, I’ve been upset all day as I’m just trying to do my best.
Also, daughter took time off work as she thought he was end of life but it now doesn’t look that way and soon she will need to go back.
Sorry this is long and a bit rambling but our lives have been turned upside down and I’m panicking a bit.
Has anyone been in this position and can offer any advice or anything.
Thankyou…

SueDonim Sat 12-Aug-23 18:43:18

That’s very difficult for everyone. flowers

It sounds as though he needs a Social Services assessment. Is this what the district nurse appointment is to do or is it something separate? I’d call the surgery on Monday and emphasise that he needs to be seen sooner rather than later. Good luck.

Georgesgran Sat 12-Aug-23 18:48:59

I think you need carers - I know a chap who has them 4x a day, plus Nurses to do his insulin.

Definitely get an assessment, sooner rather than later.

Not a good situation you’ve found yourself involved in.

I genuinely wish you good luck for an acceptable outcome all round.

Marydoll Sat 12-Aug-23 18:52:42

I too think you need to engage urgently with Social Services for the sake of all of your wellbeing.

Hithere Sat 12-Aug-23 19:05:12

I agree start delegating care to others - sorry you are in this situation

Sorry I missed it - is he drinking and eating again?
End of life is a guideline and many people do not follow those steps

Your relative may not want to go to hospital or care home - however you and your daughter also have to look after yourselves and your needs and avoid burnout

Jaxjacky Sat 12-Aug-23 19:06:04

I’d also suggest the surgery checks for a urinary infection, this can affect temperament.

BlueBelle Sat 12-Aug-23 19:08:05

Definitely needs carers…. you can’t do it , far too much

Dogmum2 Sat 12-Aug-23 19:42:45

Sadly i would be ringing Adult Services for an urgent referral/assessment. I would also request another GP visit as sudden change in character can be infection or a multitude of other reasons.

Given this gentleman is now bedridden, his needs eg washing/changing, are growing ever more complex and inevitably demanding. Unfortunately in my experience, if you let 'the authorities' know that you are helping your relative, then support for both you and him with be slower in coming, you need to tell them you cannot (and will not) continue. You can then continue to visit without, hopefully, the stress. Take care.

NotSpaghetti Sat 12-Aug-23 23:31:54

What an awful situation.
I do hope you get some care%help provided soon.

DollyD Sun 13-Aug-23 00:15:57

We definitely can’t carry on too long as we are and when my daughter goes back to work it will be impossible.
My daughter says if we don’t hear from the District Nurse on Monday then we will have to urgently self refer for a Social Services Assessment.
Yes Highthere he is eating again, if only tiny amounts and his voice was very weak, almost a whisper but is now a lot stronger.
If you had seen him 2 weeks ago you would have thought he couldn’t last more than a couple of days but he seems to have improved a little every day, although he’s still very weak and can’t walk, or if he gets his legs over the edge of the bed, he can’t get them back in bed and he’s too weak to make himself comfortable in bed, so if we leave him sat up and he slides down, he has no strength to sit back up.
That’s why he was constantly ringing me to go back and sit him up.
There’s not much we can do really but to keep going until we can get the SS assessment.
Thanks for all your kind advice, flowers and kind wishes, it really means a lot.

Cheeseplantmad Sun 13-Aug-23 05:56:05

As regards to him not getting comfortable because he’s slipping down the bed ect ect then the answer would be to get an electric powered bed so can control it himself . When I had a stay in hospital last year I found their electric beds a godsend .

Surly you would know if he’s actually wetting himself as his clothes would be wet ? If that the case then you can buy male incontinence pads , so, that would solve that issue.

You can also buy a pill box with an alarm , that way then he can’t forget to take his medication.

By putting these into place then he can be totally in control of himself so he will have no need to accuse you of being controlling.

Cheeseplantmad Sun 13-Aug-23 05:59:54

Ps , they are called Adjustable Beds , I were going to buy one myself but opened for a much cheaper solution by buying a wedge pillow that you can put under your knees / legs , that will also help in not slipping down the bed . Hope this helps .