Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Elderly mother having trouble swallowing

(10 Posts)
Michelle825 Thu 23-Nov-23 18:13:00

My mum aged 90 is struggling with eating. She’s always coughs and splutters her way through food these days. She is struggling to swallow and always has water nearby. She loves her food but it’s getting more difficult for her to swallow. She does take her time but it seems to be getting worse. She doesn’t fancy fully liquidised food! Bread and pastry are a big no go at the moment. Any tips ?

Marydoll Thu 23-Nov-23 18:49:16

The best advice I can give is seek professional help, sooner rather than later.

I have that problem, but have a diagnosis. It is not pleasant.

welbeck Thu 23-Nov-23 18:56:55

contact GP and ask for referral to speech and language therapist.

tanith Thu 23-Nov-23 19:05:29

Please consult her GP hopefully not serious but it could be please don’t ignore.

teabagwoman Thu 23-Nov-23 19:05:49

Michelle825 you don't say whether your Mum is being treated for this. If not, I agree with Marydoll, get medical advice asap. There are various causes and it's important to know which one you're dealing with.

This NHS information sheet may help.
www.torbayandsouthdevon.nhs.uk/uploads/23466.pdf

RosiesMaw Thu 23-Nov-23 19:08:15

Doctor.

My uncle had what I think was described as an “Oesophageal web”
You might like to Google or, better still, ask a doctor.
Oesophageal webs or rings are thin, membranous folds of tissue that form in the oesophagus. Health professionals may use both “webs” and “rings” to refer to the same structure. These structures make the oesophagus narrower, blocking it fully or partially. Making swallowing hard or impossible.
(The oesophagus is a tube that joins the mouth and throat to the stomach. ) Webs or rings can form anywhere in the oesophagus, but they’re more common in the upper part of the oesophagus that’s closest to the throat.
Oesophageal webs can make it more difficult to swallow food. In other cases, they don’t cause any noticeable symptoms.

Michelle825 Thu 23-Nov-23 19:10:45

Thanks for the replies. She’s not being treated for this. She has other things we are dealing with. It’s been going on for a few years but seems to be getting worse. She also has lost a lot of weight. She’s just over 7 stone at 5”8. So very underweight. Like many elderly people she’s a reluctant patient.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 23-Nov-23 19:26:33

You really must speak to her doctor about this and whatever these ‘other things’ you mention might be - I get the impression she’s not receiving any medical attention. She is severely underweight. She may be reluctant but she needs medical attention, whether she likes it or not. Please ensure that she receives it.

dotpocka Thu 23-Nov-23 19:29:26

some meds cause this talk to some one

SueDonim Thu 23-Nov-23 19:57:56

Ask for an assessment by a Speech & Language therapist. They’re the experts on these issues and may be able to help your mother.