Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Carers Allowance/Migration to UC from Tax Credits

(6 Posts)
CombinedScience Mon 27-Nov-23 13:22:06

A recent change in circumstances means I need to increase the hours I spend caring for my Mum, which brings me within the scope of Carers Allowance.

I'm also about to be migrated from Child Tax Credits to Universal Credit (no other benefits). If it wasn't a managed migration I wouldn't have any entitlement to Universal Credit . As it is, I understand I'll have Transitional Protection.

I think Carers Allowance is treated differently between the two systems. Universal Credit is taken off pound for pound if you make a Carers Allowance claim. Tax Credits are also reduced, but not by as much.

Would it be better for me to claim Carers Allowance before Tax Credits stop? Tax Credits would be reduced so I'd have a lower amount of Transitional Protection when I move to Universal Credit. But would that mean they don't additionally adjust Universal Credits pound for pound because my payment is already under Transitional Protection?

Whereas if I wait until I move to UC, I presume the pound for pound deduction will apply straight away?

Any advice much appreciated, thanks. I may post this on Mumsnet too, just for maximum advice 🙂

HousePlantQueen Mon 27-Nov-23 13:26:13

I recommend contacting Citizens Advice who can help with queries about migration to UC, and will also help you to check that you, and your Mother are getting all the financial help you are entitled to.

I volunteer for them

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 27-Nov-23 13:33:40

I agree with HPQ. The CAB are the experts in this tricky area.

HousePlantQueen Mon 27-Nov-23 13:40:11

Thanks GSM, also; do not ignore any communications that your receive from DWP about the migration to UC.

silverlining48 Mon 27-Nov-23 13:44:06

Assume that you are still of working age because as far as I know carers allowance is not paid to those who have reached retirement age.
The government clearly think retired folk are fit and well enough, as well as having all that spare time….hm!
Hope you get this sorted out,

CombinedScience Sat 02-Dec-23 03:12:51

Thank you everyone for the replies, yes, still working age for now.smile

I have now applied for UC without Carers Allowance because sometimes my caring days and hours vary from week to week (which I don't think is allowed under Carer's Allowance). But I've applied for Carers Credit instead and will use the UC journal to state the varied hours I'm unavailable for work each week (due to caring) and see how that goes on.

I did get some advice from CAB about the migration (though not the carer element) and was amazed that I could just have an online chat with an advisor there and then. No appointment, no waiting and actual proper detailed advice from a human (not a chat bot in evidence!).

I found some info on the changes of circumstances that affect Transitional Protection and changes in caring hours doesn't seem to have an impact. It seems more linked to partners moving in or out etc, which is not a factor for me. So I'm hoping all will be OK, but I will seek CAB advice again if not. Thanks once again for the replies, so helpful when trying to puzzle these big changes out alone!