Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Does how a safety device looks put your parent off wearing it?

(8 Posts)
harrygallian Mon 05-Oct-26 15:21:31

Hi all, I'm doing some research into how families keep elderly parents safe at home, specifically looking at falls and alarms. I've heard quite often that medical alert devices can feel clinical or embarrassing to wear, which puts people off using them. I'd love to hear your experience, has this been something your parent or loved one has struggled with or avoided? And if a safety device looked more like normal jewellery rather than a medical alarm, do you think that would make a difference? Really grateful for any thoughts, just trying to understand this properly from people who've lived it.

Georgesgran Mon 05-Oct-26 15:30:58

I suspect many of us here don’t have parents still alive harry. Call me cynical, but might you have something in mind?

Bellanonna Mon 05-Oct-26 15:35:06

Hello Hallygarian

At 86 I’m the parent in question. I don’t (yet) have a safety device. But I’m considering it. I believe these devices can come in the form of a wristwatch or as a pendant. The watch would obviously be unobtrusive. The pendant less so, but could be worn under a top. So I don’t actually see any problem but if indeed it were more obviously visible that wouldn’t bother me.
Good luck with your research.

Tenko Mon 05-Oct-26 15:42:40

My mother has an alarm pendent which is linked to the retirement flat she lives in. She also has a falls alarm which is on her wrist. Both aren’t very attractive but as my mum lives alone , she’s happy to wear them . Although initially she wasn’t keen. I explained that if she fell and couldn’t move , she’d be on the floor for a few days as I don’t visit daily .
When mum was discharged from a hospital stay last year , one of the recommendations from the OTs was a falls alarm , due to her being prone to falls.
IME I’ve had to be blunt with my mum.

grandMattie Mon 05-Oct-26 15:46:47

I do have one, but don’t wear it. Yet!
Aged 73, I moved from Kent to Bristol after DH died and chose to live in sheltered accommodation. We have alarm cords but, although I was told they “were expensive”, I insisted on having one. It’s not pretty but…
My attitude is if I need more teeth, I get dentures; can’t hear - aids, etc. The call pendant is just another present from old age - the gift that keeps on giving!

harrygallian Mon 05-Oct-26 17:01:51

Sorry for the miss-understanding I should have worded this better, But I was trying to insinuate anybody who may require one.

harrygallian Mon 05-Oct-26 17:04:44

Thank you all for sharing this, really helpful to hear. Out of interest, if there was a fall-alert device on the market that looked exactly like a normal piece of jewellery, say a bracelet or pendant you wouldn't be able to tell apart from any other, rather than something that reads as 'medical', would that make you more likely to wear it, or choose it over what's currently out there?

boheminan Mon 05-Oct-26 17:14:51

I was issued with an alarm necklace sort of thing via Age Concern because I had 'a fall' (not fell over, not my fault) a couple of years ago. I can't bring myself to wear it...I hate it, it's so obviously an old persons alarm. It's sat in a drawer somewhere. I'd use my mobile phone alarm if I needed to in an emergency.

I wear no jewellery, so it felt intrusive.