Gransnet forums

Charities

Please read, sorry but don't have link.

(37 Posts)
Anne58 Thu 10-Oct-13 00:16:44

Evening all,

Hopefully most will know me, and therefore understand why I have posted this. I'm not especially known for anything contentious, so hope you will all forgive my digression from fluffy topics!

A bit of explanation:The person who emailed this (below) is the person who not only runs our excellent village shop and organises our bulk buying of heating oil,(we have an oil buying syndicate in the village which has worked well in getting a good price.) There was a sign outside the village church today saying "Praying for Kieron Byran". Now, I'm not a church goer, but I totally support this.

(Keith also does loads of other things, for example along with his wife Anne sponsoring 2 children in Uganda, supporting various village things for kids & teenagers, but prefers to keep a grumpy profile! grin )

Quote from Keith:

"Now we've got the cheap oil this month I'd like to ask a favour, its very easy. I'd like everyone to sign a petition to help a friend currently in prison in Murmansk on trumped-up piracy charges. Kieron Bryan is a journalist and was aboard the Greenpeace ship Arctic Sunrise when it was siezed by Russian special forces. He is not a member of Greenpeace, nor is he an activist. Clicking on the link below and signing the petition WILL HELP. Pretty please. And if you could tell your friends, post on Facebook, make strangers do it gunpoint, then all the better.
http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/climate-change/arctic-impacts/free-our-activists/

Thanks,

Keith

I appreciate that we cannot all support all causes, but if you feel that this one is one that you may be able to support, then I thank you.

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/climate-change/arctic-impacts/free-our-activists/

Aka Thu 10-Oct-13 12:52:07

Jen I think it should be 'keep drilling that hole' Bags wink

Jendurham Thu 10-Oct-13 14:49:17

I was listening to the journalist's brother talking on the radio this morning. Apparently he has signed up to go to Afghanistan next. So if the Russians captured him there, doing the same job, videoing what is happening, presumably you would all be up in arms demanding his release. What's the difference?

thatbags Thu 10-Oct-13 15:28:26

So... it's OK to deliberately bump into other boats? So, it's OK to illegally interfere with other people's legal activity? Well, well. You learn something every day.

"Still inflatables" as if that made a difference. Those who think top of the range ribs like the Greenpeace one can be dismissed as just harmless inflatables are showing ignorance.

I'm very comfortable in my hole, thank you.

thatbags Thu 10-Oct-13 15:32:32

Ignorance of rigid hull inflatable ribs.

thatbags Thu 10-Oct-13 15:33:50

But what the heck? If it's called an inflatable it can't be powerful or dangerous to smaller boats can it? Some of you need to see these things in action methinks.

thatbags Thu 10-Oct-13 15:38:48

Fast action.

thatbags Thu 10-Oct-13 15:38:59

I think you'd be surprised.

thatbags Thu 10-Oct-13 15:44:08

I hope any persons in the GP group who are innocent of criminal activity are released soon but I gave up signing petitions a while back. I got too overwhelmed with them.

j08 Thu 10-Oct-13 17:05:55

I've been round lifeboat stations too Bags! I've seen 'em. grin

Galen Thu 10-Oct-13 18:10:14

It's only the collar round the top that's inflatable. They're called ribs! RIGID inflatable boats. Depending on their engine size they can go at a hell of a lick and do considerable damage! I've seen the result!

Aka Thu 10-Oct-13 22:31:44

Red herrings as usual.