Gransnet forums

Charities

Donating clothes

(38 Posts)
Cosafina Sat 01-Jul-17 11:02:44

When I was a girl, I remember my mum would periodically go through our wardrobes and cull clothes to give to the refugees.

I have a bag of clothes - including some new, never been worn, stuff - but can't find how I can donate them, to the refugees or any other charity.

Now I've got one of those plastic bags through the letterbox that says it's in aid of the NSPCC. Has anyone used these? Do you know if they're genuine? I've heard that scammers have invaded this side of life as well, and I want to be sure my clothes go to a deserving cause, not some scammer!

Jalima1108 Sun 02-Jul-17 10:35:54

I do use the bags that come through the door.

I fill them with clothes etc and take them to the Red Cross charity shop or to the local hospice shop.
The Red Cross is usually first on hand with emergency packs when a disaster happens anywhere in the world.

Getting clothes to refugees is more difficult than you would think. New or nearly new children's clothes are welcomed by some charities but unless you know of a convoy which is taking items out to where they are needed the cost of posting anything can be prohibitive. Better to donate them to a charity who can then raise money to send help where it is needed.

I do post new items and have bought children's clothes on an Amazon 'wish list' for a charity but whenever I have posted I think 'that £10 postage could have bought more clothes'.

Soupy Sun 02-Jul-17 11:05:48

I never use the bags that come through the door but recently looked up the contact details for our local Homeless Shelter and was able to take a bag each of men's and ladies clothes to a local (unknown to me) church, who support them and have a collection area for clothes.
I'd do this again, as I'd rather the clothes went where they were needed.

BlueBelle Sun 02-Jul-17 11:09:22

It can be difficult but I set up a relief group 2 years ago and we have direct contacts with containers going from London so we collect clothes, food medications and school stuff
Tools, computers, sewing stuff etc goes through a local collector for TWAM straight to africa and children's summer clothes goes to a friend who regularly works for an orphanage in India the rest goes to the nearest charity shop
Yes it is can be very hard unless you have direct links but there are also needs when refugees arrive in this country if that is a charity that interests you

Jalima1108 Sun 02-Jul-17 11:54:27

and you can use the bags that come through the door for your donations to charity or to refugees - just don't hand them back to these private firms that come to the door!

Cosafina Sun 09-Jul-17 11:46:06

Thanks Grans. There are no charity shops near me, at least not that are easily accessible on the bus (I have no car) and having checked the bag from the post I can see it only gives £100 to the NSPCC for every ton of clothes collected.
Think I'll try phoning for a collection, but reckon I'll need more than one bag for it to be worth their effort!

felice Sun 09-Jul-17 12:40:17

Many East African countries are now banning the import of second hand clothes as it is destroying the local economies.

If you google 'Rwanda bans secondhand clothes' you might find it interesting reading.

It is big business and huge profits are being made from your donations.

GillT57 Sun 09-Jul-17 12:46:13

I have 3 large bags full of clean single fitted sheets and mattress covers ( all double beds now). Any ideas who would like these?

Jalima1108 Sun 09-Jul-17 12:52:34

Perhaps a homeless shelter or a women's refuge?
Best to check first though

GillT57 Sun 09-Jul-17 12:56:30

Will make a couple of calls. I don't want to drop them at my usual charity shop and then they are just ragged, they are too good for that, we just don't need them anymore.

mrsmopp Mon 10-Jul-17 09:28:21

Try the Salvation Army for the sheets and mattress covers, they can be used in their hostels. Also any blankets or pillows.

FarNorth Tue 01-Aug-17 08:31:45

I did Google that, felice. It's all a lot more complicated than I realised.

Marydoll Tue 01-Aug-17 09:22:46

As I have said previously on another thread, I was sick of scammers either stealing bags from our doorstep or giving a pittance to charities. Now I phone the British Heart Foundation and they come and pick them up at a pre-arranged time.
"Gill", if you have "Mary's Meals" in your area, they are desperate for sheets etc. The towels are put in backpacks along with other necessities and sent abroad to children who are refugees.