Gransnet forums

Charities

a different type of beggar

(42 Posts)
Fennel Thu 02-Nov-17 13:19:32

I was taken aback this morning when a young girl came up to me, while walking in a nearby town, and asked for money . For food for her dog., which she had on a lead. She looked 14 at the most, a tiny little thing.
I said to her, you're too young to be doing this, where is your family?
She opened her jacket and I saw she was about 6 months pregnant.
So I gave her some money - not a lot.
Later I was at the supermarket, and there she was buying a large bag of rice, oats etc, which some people feed their dogs here (cooked.)
The dog was outside with a young man, presumably the girl's boyfriend.
I wanted to help her out more but they left before I'd paid.
What would you have done? Is it wise to get involved in that kind of situation?

Diddy1 Fri 03-Nov-17 15:11:11

Oh dear, we have a huge problem in Sweden with Romaniens sitting outside literally every shop, yes its awful, it is an organised thing, someone collects them in the evenings and takes over their money, they sit outside muffled up, sitting on anything to keep warm all winter, even when it gets to minus 10 to 20 degrees, their own Country doesnt help them and we are told not to give, as this encourages them, some Countries ban this kind of thing. Here these people are even speaking Swedish to get chatting with people and then they get even more money, it is a really big problem here, and nobody knows what to do about it, if they get sent back home, there is no knowing what might happen, neither Governments see to do anything about the problem, its been going on for years.

Fennel Fri 03-Nov-17 16:08:39

We used to see Romaniens here (France) but not recently.
I once spoke to a Romanien lady, she was trying to collect outside Carrefours, and she said they weren't allowed to work in France. Where do you sleep? In a car.

Coconut Fri 03-Nov-17 16:51:02

It’s the usual dilemma for us all, are they genuine or not, plus we can’t help every single person on our streets. I will buy a coffee and sandwich but would never give cash as you just will never know if it’s going on drink or drugs or both.

Crazygrandma2 Fri 03-Nov-17 17:02:49

To give to an individual or not to give can be a dilemma. I hear the argument about drugs, alcohol and tobacco. However, as someone who enjoys a glass of wine whilst sitting in my warm comfortable home I'm not sure why this pleasure should be denied to someone who is living on the streets. I saw some advice to ask if the person would like food, hot drink rather than just supplying it. I guess what I'm saying is we are all human and I was taught to treat others as I would like to be treated. So if I found myself on the streets I would hope that someone would do for me as I do for others. I do also support charities and food banks. My thoughts for what they are worth.

NanaRayna Fri 03-Nov-17 18:26:00

'Irresponsible to get pregnant'?! What a silly comment! How would you prevent it then, if you don't have a home address, a doctor, money for prophylactics etc.? Not having sex is a great bit of advice, unless that warm intimacy is your only comfort in a time of grief and worry. Or what about if a person used contraception and it hasn't worked? My children are very much loved, but no medication or barrier contraceptive ever worked to stop a pregnancy of mine. I'd have given money or food or whatever was needed for that youngster in such real need. Bless you Fennel.

Eloethan Fri 03-Nov-17 18:45:00

quizqueen You know nothing of the girl's circumstances or whether her background has given her the knowledge and skills to look after herself properly and act responsibly.

You say you would have given a tin of food for the dog. Much as I love dogs and am concerned for their welfare, I would be even more concerned about a pregnant young woman trailing about begging.

It is difficult to know whether to give or not. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't and sometimes I'll give a sandwich.

If a person is being hoodwinked and the beggar is really coining in thousands (as is sometimes alleged) and living the life of Riley, it is annoying, but perhaps it's better to give people the benefit of the doubt and believe that they need help.

Bambam Fri 03-Nov-17 18:50:11

Luckily I don't go to out nearest big city very often as I always give to young homeless. My daughter gets frustrated with me as she says, every time she turns her back I'm emptying my purse into someone's hand.
I know, it's hard to differentiate between genuine homeless and scammers. But I give anyway as I can't take the risk.
I know all these rules about only give them food etc. But I've always been a rule breaker!

lemongrove Fri 03-Nov-17 22:00:19

Romanians travel to all the EU countries, and either work or beg ( sometimes both) and often travel back and forth, it’s obviously worth their while.I have seen them begging in France (Paris) and in London, they go to tourist hot spots.

On other beggars, you need to make your own judgement.
granma47 that was kind of you to give money for the train.

Caro1954 Fri 03-Nov-17 22:05:05

I live in a small town and the nearest we get to begging is people selling the Big Issue. I'm always shocked when I go to our nearest city and never know what to do for the best. You've encouraged me to do what seems appropriate - buy some food/give money - instead of dithering and worrying about it for the rest of the day. Can't believe the posters who said they were more concerned about the dog than the person. angry

dogsmother Sat 04-Nov-17 09:38:07

Crikey, I am surprised at how judgmental some people are here!
A little compassion and kindness goes a long way, harsh word aren’t really necessary when we dont know circumstances. ?

Suzisue Sun 05-Nov-17 11:25:33

I don't give as I feel very vulnerable opening my bag in crowded places. Also have an eyesight condition and sometimes have difficulty differentiating certain coins. Been targetted by what looked like a heavy drinker. He got persistent. Ok they're not all like that but it does put you off from giving to others. Some big issue sellers can be rather aggressive too if you won't buy.

Maggiemaybe Sun 05-Nov-17 11:47:56

I am truly very sorry for anyone in genuine need and always used to give to anyone begging on the street. My reasoning was that if they weren’t genuine, then that would be on their conscience, not mine. One of my family now works with homeless and vulnerable people and has changed my mindset. There are many scammers out there, making a very good living out of conning passersby. Think about it - if you’ve money to give, give it to those in need via an organised charity or your local food bank. The more money given to fraudsters, the less there is for the genuinely needy. We have a thriving local group providing hot meals, a food bank and all sorts of help and support to local people in need. They have approached and identified conmen begging here, challenged and reported them - they moved on, but possibly to a town near you.

Daisymay1 Sun 05-Nov-17 12:17:37

I sometimes give money and sometimes food . It breaks my heart to see people on the streets , I can't just walk by . I usually try and have a chat with them if I can .

Grandmarnia Sun 05-Nov-17 18:24:41

Kazzie please share the petition

Barmyoldbat Sun 05-Nov-17 18:34:38

I saw a young lad in the shopping centre, sat on the ground looking very cold and lost. I stopped to talk to him and he was 16 and had just left home because of his dad. I said I would go and get him something hot to eat and drink and then take him to the centre nearby for help for those on the street. When I came back a police officer was telling him to move on and not beg. I told the officer that he was not begging and that I had approached him. The officer then laid into me verbally at which point I asked for his number so I could put in a complaint about the way he was treating me. I am a granny for goodness sake! We eventually went on our way to the centre where the lad received help and advice.

Fennel Sun 05-Nov-17 18:59:27

Well done!