Gransnet forums

Charities

I have signed up for the McMillan "Brave the Shave"!

(70 Posts)
phoenix Tue 17-Jul-18 22:01:49

Evening all, hope you are all doing ok.

Well, what it says in the title, really. The only person I have told is Mr P.

Tomorrow I will phone my lovely hairdresser, and ask her what "numbers" I can get away with (think a number 1 might be a bit too extreme!) then on Thursday will announce it at work, in the hope of getting some sponsors.

Tell me I'm not mad! (although I may well be grin it grows back, after all!

Charleygirl Tue 17-Jul-18 22:08:05

Sorry but I do not understand what numbers you can get away with.

I am assuming that you are going to have all of your hair shaved off?

MissAdventure Tue 17-Jul-18 22:09:15

Oh well done you! smile

Bathsheba Tue 17-Jul-18 22:09:42

Gosh phoenix that is so brave! I am in awe shock. I'll sponsor you - just tell me how. Are you going to set up a Just Giving page?

Bathsheba Tue 17-Jul-18 22:11:09

By 'numbers' do you mean, e.g., a Grade 1, 2 etc?

Oopsadaisy53 Tue 17-Jul-18 22:11:49

my GD raised nearly £1000 recently, she had her hair cut to half an inch all over, she’s 14 and she raised the money for her best friend who is very sick. We are very proud Grandparents.

Hope you raise lots too, well done.

nanaK54 Tue 17-Jul-18 22:13:07

Oh wow, that is an amazing thing to do!

MissAdventure Tue 17-Jul-18 22:19:37

Yes, a just giving page is a really good idea.
I would definitely sponsor you, Phoenix.

phoenix Tue 17-Jul-18 22:23:55

Oh, sheesh, blush my hair is quite short anyway! Charleygirl, there are grades of shaves for hair, number 1 being the shortest.

Once I get the full info pack (only decided and signed up tonight) I will update you all, but thanks for the support so far.

merlotgran Tue 17-Jul-18 22:27:57

Blimey. Macmillan don't half come up with some challenges.

lemongrove Tue 17-Jul-18 22:34:27

Well, phoenix at least you won’t be troubled by what colour to use next grin
A friend of mine did a similar thing for charity a few years ago, and her hair grew back quite differently, and wavy!

lemongrove Tue 17-Jul-18 22:35:34

Will you go for the GI Jane look or wear a scarf or bandana?

MissAdventure Tue 17-Jul-18 22:36:05

I should imagine its rather liberating once its done.

Doodle Tue 17-Jul-18 22:38:47

blush blush I thought you meant down below, Brazilian or the like....sorry phoenix. Well done by the way.... goes off to hide head in shame blush

Joelsnan Tue 17-Jul-18 22:40:55

You are brave. I have lost mine to the dreaded chemo. and frighten myself every time I look in the mirror as I look just like uncle fester from the Addams family! I have a wig which is too hot to wear at the moment and in any case itches my head like mad, scarves keep unravelling or slipping off my head. I have a couple of bandana type things that I don’t really like but do stay on my head. I only cover my head when I leave the house, I hate being bald but if the treatment works it will be worth it. If it doesn’t...I will probably swear smile
Good luck to you.

Riverwalk Tue 17-Jul-18 22:43:33

Phoenix shock

I assume this is a shave of the hair on ya head, not the lady garden! The latter might be a bit of problem explaining to the people at work!

MissAdventure Tue 17-Jul-18 22:48:59

And I certainly wouldn't be requesting a pic as proof!

phoenix Tue 17-Jul-18 23:00:16

Joelsnan sending every good wish to you, you are the brave one!

Riverwalk When I do the shave, I plan for it to be in public, have already arranged to ask my lovely hairdresser if she will come out to my place of work to do it, and as I don't plan to sit in the lower bench room with my knickers off and legs apart in front of the assembled students and staff, YES it will be my head!

Honestly, you lot, what are you like!

merlotgran Tue 17-Jul-18 23:03:58

We want the photos, phoenix. grin

MissAdventure Tue 17-Jul-18 23:07:16

Have you got a nice looking head, Phoenix?
Mine is like an old potato.

phoenix Tue 17-Jul-18 23:14:30

Photos there will be, merlot!

God knows if I have a "nice looking head" MissAdventure the rest of me isn't up to much and I'm past caring! grin

Speaking to my hairdresser tomorrow, and will be speaking to all at work on Thursday (who hopefully understand why I'm doing it it) and will then post updates on here!

MissAdventure Tue 17-Jul-18 23:16:46

I'm sure you'll rock the look. (Hark at me getting all trendy!)

SueDonim Wed 18-Jul-18 00:34:55

I admire people's desire to contribute but I'm surprised this type of fund-raising is still going on. There has been bad publicity about it from some cancer patients.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brave-the-shave-cancer-sufferers-macmillan-fundraiser-offensive-facil-a7225126.html

Doodle Wed 18-Jul-18 00:46:48

Well I think it's supportive. Good luck phoenix.

Cherrytree59 Wed 18-Jul-18 09:00:21

Woke up this morning with a blooming
big mouth ulcer feeling sorry for myself, your thread Phoenix has reminded me how lucky I am!
And Grans you made laugh out loudsmile

Well done Pheonix Your a ?
pledge gives a nice sheen