Gransnet forums

Charities

I have signed up for the McMillan "Brave the Shave"!

(71 Posts)
phoenix Tue 17-Jul-18 22:01:49

Evening all, hope you are all doing ok.

Well, what it says in the title, really. The only person I have told is Mr P.

Tomorrow I will phone my lovely hairdresser, and ask her what "numbers" I can get away with (think a number 1 might be a bit too extreme!) then on Thursday will announce it at work, in the hope of getting some sponsors.

Tell me I'm not mad! (although I may well be grin it grows back, after all!

Esspee Wed 18-Jul-18 15:30:29

It is showing empathy and solidarity with those who have no choice but to endure the chemo side effects. I think it is a very positive thing to do if it raises awareness and money for Macmillan.

Heather51 Wed 18-Jul-18 16:39:18

I have recurring ovarian cancer and have been through surgery and two periods of chemo in 2015 and 2017, suffering complete hair loss including eyelashes and eyebrows very quickly each time. My hair has now grown back and I have just started to feel like my old self again only to be told that the cancer is back once more and chemo is again imminent. Last time a close friend ‘threatened’ to have her head shaved as well in sympathy. I was very much against it as I couldn’t see how it would help me.
However, Phoenix is having her head shaved specifically to raise funds and the more money raised, the more research and care can be provided for victims of this dreadful disease. You have my full support Phoenix and I hope you raise masses of money, and that your hair grows back quicker than mine did. Who knows your contribution might fund the research that comes up with a solution for me!
Youngagain, I attended a LGFB workshop after my first lot of chemo and really enjoyed it. The young girl who personally helped me at the workshop was so friendly and encouraging, she was a delight. I would certainly recommend them to anyone going through chemo.

Saetana Wed 18-Jul-18 18:31:19

My hair is an inch long all over so I don't think it would be much of a challenge to me - once a punk, always a punk :D

GabriellaG Wed 18-Jul-18 20:01:20

Yes...shockblushconfused I thought what Doodle thought.
Count me in for sponsorship.

GabriellaG Wed 18-Jul-18 20:03:15

Thoughts with you Heather51
I hope it goes for good this time.
shamrockflowers

Heather51 Wed 18-Jul-18 21:59:46

Thanks Gabriella, who knows, they are coming up with new things everyday. ?

MissAdventure Wed 18-Jul-18 22:04:19

Oh yes, best wishes to you, Heather. flowers

JaneD3 Wed 18-Jul-18 22:05:50

One of my son’s peers at university developed cancer. When she knew she would lose her hair, she got in first and had her head shaved in the students union, to raise money. My son and many of her friends sat with her and were shaved too. Some people feel supported by other people’s solidarity. They raised several thousand pounds.

Magrithea Thu 19-Jul-18 12:55:07

When a friend of my son's found she had breast cancer at 26 her brother and several friends as well as my DS all shaved their heads in solidarity, the final 'shavee' being the young woman concerned. They raised £5,000 for a charity called 'Coppafeel' (https://coppafeel.org/)

harrigran Thu 19-Jul-18 19:34:57

As someone who has been treated for cancer and had chemotherapy I would be horrified if my friends and family shaved their heads.

youngagain Fri 20-Jul-18 10:54:27

Thanks Heather. I'm so glad you enjoyed the workshop. Good luck to you Phoenix and well done.

phoenix Wed 25-Jul-18 12:28:02

Just to update, some of you said that you would be happy to support via "Just Giving".

Looking at the pack, that doesn't seem to be an option, (might be wrong there!) Anyway, I have messaged GNHQ and asked if it's ok to post the info links etc to show how donations can be made.

Will keep you all informed! smile

shysal Wed 25-Jul-18 17:22:50

I have been checking Just Giving and could only find someone of your name doing the Anglesey half marathon. Didn't think that would be you! I look forward to reading how we can support your cause, and to seeing pics. Good luck!

phoenix Wed 25-Jul-18 17:33:10

Damn right, shysal! You won't catch me running at all, let alone a half marathon! shock

I haven't finished setting up my stuff on the Macmillan site yet, waiting for confirmation of a date from the person wielding the clippers, and a "before" photo to upload, then I should be all set.

BTW, GNHQ, bless'em have given permission for me to post info, links etc so watch this space!

merlotgran Wed 25-Jul-18 17:40:15

I'm surprised they're not raising funds via Just Giving. DD2 did the Jurassic Coast Mighty Hike last month with a friend and they raised over £1,000 which was collected by Macmillan through Just Giving.

Is it possible to double check with them, phoenix?

Heather51 Wed 25-Jul-18 18:02:43

Just Giving do take a percentage of the donations for using their site, so could be quite a bit of the donations.

Looking forward to the links Phoenix!

Auntieflo Wed 25-Jul-18 21:04:53

Phoenix, another here who would sponsor you when the links are ready to go. Our DS grew his hair from age 17-40, just having the odd trim. He then grew up a bit, and decided to have it all cut short, being sponsored by friends and colleagues. His long hair was given to a charity that made wigs for children. We sponsored him, and would be proud to do the same for you. God bless.

phoenix Wed 25-Jul-18 21:10:05

Auntieflo, thank you, and God bless you too.

phoenix Thu 26-Jul-18 22:01:51

Hello all, especially those that kindly said they would donate.

There is now a new thread with details for donation options!

Thank you.

phoenix Fri 27-Jul-18 12:08:48

Bumping to point those who want to donate in the right direction!