Gransnet forums

Charities

Child Poverty

(185 Posts)
EllanVannin Wed 21-Nov-18 17:55:04

gillybob I could ( and do ) cry when I'm out and about and see poverty. It really gets to me especially when I as a pensioner can buy pretty well what I want yet these poor souls with families are living hand to mouth------something's not right somewhere. Even charity shops are probably out of reach as many of them have gone greedy and increased their prices.
I daren't even begin to think or wonder what their home lives are like.

Poor pensioners ? Rubbish ! It's those with families who work that dip out.

Just been reading about a despicable couple both aged 70 who conned the benefits system out of £54,000 !
6 months suspended for 18months each----the defendant said " he was an old fool who wouldn't do it again " Luxury holidays etc.

Oldwoman70 Wed 21-Nov-18 17:32:07

I think everyone can say they "know" someone who is getting benefits they don't need - but I whilst there may be some cases I don't believe they are the majority. There is ample proof that there are children who are in need (not least those GNs who have worked with children). I would rather some people got more than they were entitled to if it also means that the children who really need help receive it.

J52 Wed 21-Nov-18 17:25:05

This has to be a wind up! No substantiated facts. The original poster hasn’t come back to defend their statements.

gillybob Wed 21-Nov-18 17:18:11

There’s a little girl in my DGS’s class who breaks me heart Marydoll ( much like the little girl you describe) completely inappropriate clothes for the weather. Her hair looks like it hasn’t been brushed or washed for months. I have offered good quality bits from my older DGD’s (via their lovely teacher) but have been told they would not be accepted . It breaks my heart to imagine her home life . sad

MissAdventure Wed 21-Nov-18 17:15:11

I'm a single parent, and would be happy to give correct facts and figures, if anyone thinks I'm well off.

Marydoll Wed 21-Nov-18 17:13:33

When I was teaching in one of the most deprived areas in Scotland, I can assure you that I witnessed extreme poverty every day.
It was not unknown for me to run up to to one of the local supermarkets to purchase underwear and shoes for children. One day a wee girl came to school in deep snow in ankle socks, ballet pumps with holes in them and wearing a school blazer, no coat. She was blue with cold.
I remember we had a staff Christmas lunch and a lot of food left over. I was ashamed at the waste, so wrapped it up, concealed it in a black bin liner and asked a parent if he could use it. I made out that he would be doing us a favour.
The man, a tough army veteran burst in to tears and said he had been wondering how he was going to feed his children that night.

Ilovecheese Wed 21-Nov-18 17:11:57

Where does your information come from Sweetie222?

gillybob Wed 21-Nov-18 17:00:51

I’m not sure where your information comes from .sweetie but I see genuine child poverty every day .

I was a single parent myself for many years and never received a single penny from my child’s father . Not did he provide him with so much as a pair of shoes in his entire childhood .

M0nica Wed 21-Nov-18 16:46:20

How often is often? What is the source of the statistics you quote?

I am always suspicious of statements like this that rely on words like 'often have' and 'perhaps'.

Sweetie222 Tue 20-Nov-18 20:33:18

We are always hearing about this, and I know a few single parents who regularly plead poverty. However, they never mention numbers.

I've been shocked to find out that so long as they work a few hours a week they often have over £800 per month from the government as well as perhaps £500 from ex partners. Do you think that the people who sympathise are aware of this?