Gransnet forums

Charities

Another Fat cat charity boss !

(60 Posts)
gillybob Fri 07-Dec-18 09:19:36

The CEO of the Motability charity lives a VERY luxurious lifestyle, commanding a £1.7 million salary and is in line for a £2 million pound bonus. It has also been revealed that the charity have £2.6 billion of tax payers money in the bank .

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6469523/How-Motability-fat-cat-Mike-Betts-enjoys-luxury-lifestyle.html

gillybob Sun 09-Dec-18 10:29:52

I know how difficult it is for the volunteer puppy walkers to train a guide dog and I know how valuable a guide dog is to a blind person.

endre123 Sun 09-Dec-18 11:15:15

Most Motability cars have an advanced payment and it varies throughout the year depending which models they want to promote.

These payment used to be fairly manageable for people on benefits but they have soared in the last three years and that needs looking into. From about £500 - £5,000 advance non refundable on top of the monthly payments out of their disability. Some cars are no advance payment but it can change throughout the year.

Most customers need something suitable for their disability and they are usually the automatics with plenty of space for wheelchairs and other equipment. They tend to have the highest advanced payments and this is where it needs investigating.

Hundreds of thousands of cars have been recalled by Motability in the last three years when the DWP changed the rules about who needed help with mobility. Some decisions were unfair and Motability has been helping those left with no way of leaving their homes by giving them a lump sum to buy a second hand car.

Obviously fewer people able to apply for Motability cars makes a big different to Motability . It certainly hit the car industry in a big way as Motability was a huge customer.

As for someone handing their car over to their mother, there are forms to sign that don't allow that to happen. The mother will not be insured unless the client is in the car with her. It could be a case of disabled abuse.

Saying that is it a well run company proud they do an amazing job with people who cannot walk for any reason.

As someone said, the donations come from disabled people and their families and it is often substantial.

Iam64 Sun 09-Dec-18 12:05:15

Gillybob, I agree with your disbelief at high salaries but if thats the rate for the job, that’s what those ceo’s and others will command.
Guide dog puppies live with volunteer puppy walkers until the go into GD kennels, where they’re trained by highly skilled, paid employees.

janeainsworth Sun 09-Dec-18 12:43:31

Thank you for your balanced post endre.
iam One of my close friends has trained 15 GD puppies over the last 20 years and is now giving a home to one who didn’t make the grade.
She has nothing but praise for the organisation & the help & support the trainers receive.
I think that for an organisation to give the maximum benefit to those it’s setting out to help, you need people at the top with vision, leadership skills and integrity.
If they command a relatively high salary, in the long run it will be cost effective.
What a pity that the Daily Mail article seems to have reinforced some people’s prejudices and overlooked the fact that charities play a very important part in many people’s lives.

petra Sun 09-Dec-18 13:02:01

Stansgran
At the charity shop where I volunteer one of the other volunteers is quiet proud of the fact that her father has never driven or been a passenger in his mobility car.
She considers it her car.

GabriellaG Sun 09-Dec-18 14:46:04

petra
Are you going to be the one honest enough to tell her that it's illegal for her to use it without her father being either a passenger or the driver?

gillybob Sun 09-Dec-18 15:53:20

For the record JaneA I do not have any prejudice towards charities in general . My gripe is towards so called charities paying extortionate salaries, pension contributions and bonuses to their executives before the “ charity” benefits from one single penny . If that doesn’t bother you we will have to agree to disagree .

Iam64 Sun 09-Dec-18 18:56:24

Maybe it's ok to disagree gillybob. As I've indicated, I accept, reluctantly, that market forces mean if you want a successful CEO of any large organisation, it means you're organisation will compete with all the others for that individual. Same goes for charities.

Am I delighted with this, nope I'm not but I'm a realist (well, I am in some circs ). I am even more irritated by the fact that what used to be public services, like the NHS, residential care for older people/children in need, fostering, Prisons etc are now seen as "for profit" rather than 'not for profit" organisations. The salaries some of their CEO's and managers earn made me weep.

Jennytree4 Tue 19-Feb-19 00:59:49

Rubbish. Save the Children is totally corrupt and Ebola was made out to be pandemic to extract funds from gullible people.