Gransnet forums

Charities

Halloween costumes

(109 Posts)
Floradora9 Tue 22-Oct-19 11:28:33

I was going round the charity shops looking for costumes for DGC . I went into the Salvation Army shop and a very snippy lady told me they were a Christian organisation and did not believe in Halloween . would you agree with her ? As a child in Scotland we all went round the neighbourhood knocking on doors. We never just asked for anything we went in and always did a party piece of some sort. All we got usually was some sweets and fruit . Our children did the same and no money changed hands. What is wrong with that ?

lindadoughty650 Thu 24-Oct-19 15:48:42

In Manchester when I was growing up (late 1940s,50s) it was really good fun with similar things to those mentioned in Scottish tradition of ducking for apples and treacle scones hanging to eat with hands behind your back. It was linked closely to what we called "Molly Dancers" which involved blacking your face and dressing up, and it was in this guise that you visited others and there was always a bit of feeling of threat with this bit, when you tried to scare someone or be scared in the dark. This latter practice I think came from supposed bad spirits in coal mines, which then of course links with ghost and spirits of the dead in dark or underground, which hark back to pagan beliefs. I loved it, and so different to today's trick or treat.

Conker Fri 25-Oct-19 20:43:01

We did Halloween in the 70’s with turnip lanterns , paper witch hats and binbags lol

My lot celebrate Halloween we have goodies for children knocking . Soup , homemade bread and cake for tea then bob & duck apple then films usually Bettlejuice & Hocu Pocus ?

M0nica Fri 25-Oct-19 21:34:10

Halloween has replaced Guy Fawkes as the big Autumn event. Most places still have bonfires and fireworks, but the main event, based on religious prejudice - catholics are the devil's spawn/protestants are heretics and must not govern - are almost forgotten, which I think is no bad thing.

Magrithea Sat 26-Oct-19 22:35:21

When my DC were small we lived in Hong Kong which had a far greater American influence than British (surprisingly) and Halloween was a big 'thing' there. I was horrified by small children being taken round with bags and buckets for treats and particularly by a small boy who rang our doorbell at 9 p.m. one year and just stood there holding up his bag of goodies for our contribution - he was completely on his own! I do feel it's another import and one we could do without!

M0nica Sun 27-Oct-19 00:35:28

Magrithea. the American influence in Hong Kong goes back a long way. I spent part of my childhood in Hong Kong in the early 1950s and the American influence was very strong even then. Lots of American cars and my father was delighted, he had served with US soldiers during the war and could once again get American doughnuts and the American magazine, the Saturday Evening Post, while we were there.

CocoPops Sun 27-Oct-19 02:06:35

I am really looking forward to Halloween especially because last year I was on crutches and missed all the fun. I am in N. America and here it's a community event. My son-in-law makes costumes for himself and the kiddies. I'm a witch! Away round the neighbourhood we go, admiring all the wonderful costumes, decorative porches and gardens and chatting to our neighbours en route. My daughter and friends stay home to answer the door and dish out the candy. Minimal expense for a fun evening.

Lyndiloo Sun 27-Oct-19 03:22:23

Here, kids come round on Halloween, knock on your door and expect sweets. (Which they get.) They never ask, 'Trick or Treat', and I would love to ask for a 'Trick', just to see what they do!

maurasmith Tue 17-Dec-19 13:08:05

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.