Gransnet forums

Charities

So many good causes, how do I choose?

(60 Posts)
phoenix Sat 08-Aug-20 20:21:35

Hello all, hope you are well.

A few years ago I was so very fortunate to have some help from some lovely GN members when I was looking at a very bleak Christmas, they know who they are, wink and I will be forever thankful.

Now, although not overflowing with funds, I would like to pay something back in some way.

There are advertisements on tv showing starving children in certain countries, although one can never be sure if monies sent actually reach those in need, or I could donate to local food banks etc.

So, pay back time, I think, but what would you do?

Thank you.

timetogo2016 Sun 09-Aug-20 09:26:04

I don`t give money as most of it is eaten up in administration sometimes up to 90%.
I have asked the childrens hospital what they could do with to help the children pass the time of day, and lap tops/tv`s/etc are always welcome.

gillybob Sun 09-Aug-20 09:28:56

Thank you Maggiemaybe I thinks it’s a great idea too. The items are all chosen with the advice from the food bank so they are items that they really need rather than just lots of tinned beans etc.

It’s a pity more supermarkets didn’t introduce it as we have the counties biggest food bank right here in the North East (what a horrible claim to fame that is ) .

Maggiemaybe Sun 09-Aug-20 09:32:50

I hate the fact that we have to have food banks at all in this country - I can remember being horrified not so many years ago that they were common in the USA, and now look at us. sad One of our local schools had to set a new one up recently, to support its families through the holidays.

Iam64 Sun 09-Aug-20 09:44:42

gillybob - waving to you from the other side of the Penines. we are north west and like you had mines, manufacturing and in our case, mills. Now we have unemployment, food banks and homelessness. We do have some wealthy people of course but the disparity between those of us who are ok and those who aren't feels Victorian.
I understand the irritation expressed about large salaries and running costs for some of the big charities but, they have to be run like a business. That along with the corruption in some of the countries they supply support to inevitably cause some hesitation to donate but the help is still needed.

gillybob Sun 09-Aug-20 09:53:33

Hellooooo Iam64 ?

Our town was decimated by the collapse of the coal mines and the shipyards (cheers for that Maggie) and we now have one of the largest unemployment rates in the country (another thing to be proud of....not) . I feel so sad that people in my town have to rely on food banks to feed themselves and their families when there are people not so far away with so much money they couldn’t spend it in 3 lifetimes .

Having said that the Geordies are a very generous “race” and what little we have, we share . Rather be like we are than secular, selfish people, constantly greedy for more £££££.

I do give a small amount to one large charity in memory of my late mum but often wonder how much actually goes to the charity after the executives have taken their very large cuts ?

Davidhs Sun 09-Aug-20 09:54:41

Choose the charities closet to your heart and directly help the charity, many of the larger charities spend a great deal on advertising and admin, some as much as 90%!.

merlotgran Sun 09-Aug-20 10:05:08

When it comes to charity shop donations we support our local EMMAUS. I remember Terry Waite opening it in the nineties and it has gone from a single hut style building to a community of accommodation blocks, workshops, chicken farm and of course the large saleroom.

They are the most helpful bunch of people you could wish to meet. When we cleared out my mother's bungalow when she went into care they not only collected furniture etc., but stopped off at our place on the way back to add a sideboard that we wanted to find a home for and while they were at it they helped DH move our piano into a different room because they had the 'runners' in the back of their van.

The ethos of 'helping the homeless help themselves' has certainly proved true in their case.

gillybob Sun 09-Aug-20 10:09:21

Excuse my ignorance Merlot but what does EMMAUS stand for?

merlotgran Sun 09-Aug-20 10:32:47

gilly, It's from the Road to Emmaus story in the bible where Jesus appears after his resurrection to two disciples

emmaus.org.uk/about-us/history/

This link gives lots of information - quite a fascinating history.

merlotgran Sun 09-Aug-20 10:41:09

Dick and Angel Strawbridge support their local EMMAUS and are often seen buying items to upcycle on Escape to the Chateau.

I've lost count of the times we've uttered, 'Good old EMMAUS' after we've sent stuff to them or found exactly what we're looking for for less than a fiver.

When we built the annexe to our bungalow we needed to find a way to cover the electric fuse boxes which were situated in the corner of what was to be our bedroom. It needed a full length, narrow cupboard. DH was dreading having to build one.

We went to EMMAUS and in just a few minutes spotted a narrow cupboard which had been ripped out of a kitchen. The measurements were exact.

All we had to do was take off the back, attach it to the wall over the ugly electrical stuff and paint it white. It cost less than £10.

I then added a floor to ceiling cheapo bookcase to make it look more of a unit.

Callistemon Sun 09-Aug-20 10:48:13

The local food bank and a small charity helping Syrian refugees run by one woman plus her willing helpers.

Any charity shop donations go to the local Red Cross shop; they do always seem to be first on the scene when a crisis occurs, or to the local hospice shop.

Medicins sans Frontieres seems to be a worthwhile charity too.

Cabbie21 Sun 09-Aug-20 11:56:50

I have direct debits set up to my chosen charities which are those which help the Vulnerable or homeless for the most part. Most have a Christian foundation. So I do not respond to extra appeals or emergencies abroad.

Charleygirl5 Sun 09-Aug-20 16:19:25

I have Macular disease and I am a member of that society but I find it mind-boggling the number of people employed- many having company cars added.

Every time and it is very frequent, I am emailed or sent a letter they are always asking for money for research but if I gave each time I would be needing the help from a food bank. They tug at the heartstrings but I think they should look closer at home re saving money. At least they do not have expensive offices in the centre of London, another bugbear of mine.

Madgran77 Sun 09-Aug-20 16:24:41

Decide on what theme/area it is you want to help first.

eg Themes:

Children?
Food shortages?
Water shortages?
Mental illness?
Hospices?
Illness /research?

etc

Then think about what aspect of that theme you want to focus on.

Then look at charities that address that theme and priority.

Good luck flowers

Nortsat Sun 09-Aug-20 16:33:01

I give to one charity through payroll giving. It’s WaterAid, they install water pipes in villages, where there are none, in the developing world.

I donate through Amazon Smile to my local cat charity.

I donate a bag of food to my local food bank, once a month and a larger donation at Christmas.

Granniesunite Sun 09-Aug-20 16:37:50

Mary’s meals for me. I’ve supported them for a long time, also a local charity that is close to my heart and just recently sight savers.

TwiceAsNice Sun 09-Aug-20 16:45:15

I pay 2 reasonable direct debits every month. One to a Welsh hospital where my son was treated. The money goes to pay for treats and toys/books for the children whilst they are having treatment. When Leukaemia patients immunity goes really low they can only play with brand new things in case of infection. When I lived there I used to buy stuff and drop it off now I live elsewhere I pay so they can be bought by staff.

I have also for some years sponsored a child through school in Uganda, through a scheme started by a colleague where I was working in education. I’ve committed to supporting her through school and university. She wants to train as a doctor to go back to Uganda to help her own people . I have met some of the African people who run the charity there when they have come to the UK. I receive news about her and the charity in general a few times a year and she writes to me ( but doesn’t have my address) and I write to her and arrange to send a gift at Christmas. The charity is run on Christian principles

BladeAnnie Sun 09-Aug-20 16:52:52

We donate good to our local food bank every week - just order extra which delivered with the sainsbury's order. It is run by a few volunteers and I know they have seen a massive increase in families in need over the past few months. I also subscribe to the Big Issue - I believe this to be a really worthy thing and it is advertised as "a hand up not a hand out". I support the local branch of Cat's Protection too. I do think it's a very personal choice and there are so many worthy causes out there

Puzzler61 Sun 09-Aug-20 17:17:13

We do the same 3 as you Annie.

Our city Food Bank is manned by an incredible bunch of people who are always grateful, and friendly, when you drop off food.
The Big Issue lady was back outside our M&S yesterday - first time I’ve seen her since March.

BladeAnnie Sun 09-Aug-20 18:17:28

Great minds think alike Puzzler61!!

gillybob Sun 09-Aug-20 18:29:03

merlotgran

*gilly*, It's from the Road to Emmaus story in the bible where Jesus appears after his resurrection to two disciples

emmaus.org.uk/about-us/history/

This link gives lots of information - quite a fascinating history.

Thank you for the link merlot I had never heard of it . We do have a community furniture shop here and a helping hand group where we can donate anything from a bed and a pram to a tea-set and cutlery . I also donate to Freecycle which is a brilliant way of getting rid of things you no longer need while helping someone who might need it . From reading your link I think EMMAUS goes a lot further than this though . smile

Puzzler61 Sun 09-Aug-20 18:30:27

DH and I go online to the pens we sponsor with Cats Protection to see who’s currently occupying them until they find new homes.
Sadly Annie not many cats have been leaving since COVID-19. ?

Riverwalk Sun 09-Aug-20 19:07:14

As you say phoenix so many good causes - it's really so very hard to choose.

I have a standing order for the homeless charity Crisis and donate to food banks via my Ocado order - they double your donation, so £5 from me will result in £10 of goods that have been asked for, so not any old rubbish. Like others I occasionally give to worthy charities like Water Aid.

As a matter of principle I don't contribute to things like Air Ambulance or Great Ormond Street Hospital, or appeals for a scanner, etc. I feel these should be financed by general taxation.

I get a lump in my throat when I see the increasing need for foodbanks in the UK - a lump of bile I think at the injustice of it all.

harrigran Sun 09-Aug-20 19:57:09

Most big charities pay their CEOs around £200,000 a year, they do not get my money.
I also do not give to overseas charities, as a country we give millions in overseas aid.
I give to local hospices and small charities that support medical conditions such as MND and certain cancers such as gynae and prostate.

Urmstongran Sun 09-Aug-20 20:18:42

A friend of mine once said ‘yes charity begins at home, but it doesn’t have to stop there’.

I feel desperately sad though for people in African countries (and others) who lead such miserable lives whilst their corrupt governments cream off aid or steal resources from their own countrymen, bringing a retinue of wives over to Harrods for shopping and taking several suites of rooms at top London hotels. They have no shame and to be honest it puts me off donating.

I have for many years set up several direct debits that benefit various charities in the U.K.

I wish the world were a kinder place. It breaks my heart sometimes to read or see distressing stories.