Gransnet forums

Charities

So many good causes, how do I choose?

(60 Posts)
phoenix Sat 08-Aug-20 20:21:35

Hello all, hope you are well.

A few years ago I was so very fortunate to have some help from some lovely GN members when I was looking at a very bleak Christmas, they know who they are, wink and I will be forever thankful.

Now, although not overflowing with funds, I would like to pay something back in some way.

There are advertisements on tv showing starving children in certain countries, although one can never be sure if monies sent actually reach those in need, or I could donate to local food banks etc.

So, pay back time, I think, but what would you do?

Thank you.

kittylester Sun 09-Aug-20 20:22:25

Hope this has helped phoenix

gillybob Sun 09-Aug-20 20:24:56

I agree with you Harri I couldn’t support a charity that pays their executives six figure salaries .

Callistemon Sun 09-Aug-20 20:27:16

I like to support the RNLI and the local marine and land rescue service too.

Chewbacca Sun 09-Aug-20 20:30:22

Yes I like to support the RNLI too Callistemon, especially when I learnt how much they were allocated for going out, sometimes all night, to rescue those who need it. I was truly shocked.

Callistemon Sun 09-Aug-20 20:34:08

I really think that they should receive funding from the Government but I think the RNLI prefer it that way to maintain control of how they operate.

We're an island nation and this is an essential service.

Chewbacca Sun 09-Aug-20 20:42:48

An RNLI coxswain is paid just £30,000 per year. In return, he's responsible for making sure that every boat is ready and sea worthy 24/7/365; lead the volunteers out to sea, manage the rescue mission and get them all back safely, in the most terrifying sea conditions and often in the pitch black of night. £30,000for putting your life, and those of the volunteers, on the line isn't much is it?

Callistemon Sun 09-Aug-20 20:46:51

No, it's not.

For those in peril on the sea
They put their own lives at risk

Grandma70s Sun 09-Aug-20 20:50:56

I have donated most to AgeUK and DiabetesUK - the latter because I have a friend whose diabetic son has had terrible problems. I also make a weekly donation to food banks via my Ocado order. As someone has already said, they double the donation. I like to donate to a charity that provides books for children who can’t afford them. I think it’s called the Book Trust.

It is certainly hard to choose!

George4444 Fri 14-Aug-20 09:45:49

A tail of two charities

When giving to a charity it should be local and address the big issue that you are concerned about the most. You want highest impact for your pound. I support the Maggie Oliver Foundation, which provides support to survivors of grooming gangs. The charity supports girls who have experienced the worst level of abuse and are now survivors and rebuilding their lives.

The second charity is the Wildfowl Trust. I signed up whilst visiting one of their centres twenty years ago and have never cancelled the annual direct debit. I think ducks are ok, but im not the biggest fan. It goes to show the pull of charities and how careful you have to be in not supporting to much. Especially with TV advertising.