Gransnet forums

Charities

What can I do to get help?

(59 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 10-Sep-20 10:22:03

I run a small homelessness charity and we work with a huge range of people; not only rough sleepers and sofa surfers, but also people who have a range of medical, mental or social afflictions and people facing eviction. We advocate on their behalf with lots of different statutory organisations; the DWP, Police, Council, Jobcentre, PIP tribunals, Doctors etc. Because my colleague and I work for free we have very low overheads and because we have an excellent reputation locally we have no shortage of funds. People (including ex-clients who are back on their feet) fall over themselves to make donations (we were just awarded a substantial sum from local government, unasked for).

What I am desperate for are more caseworkers who will volunteer a couple of hours a day/week to help with the deluge of new cases that are threatening to overwhelm us. I'm taking a day off today for the first time in literally months, because I know that I'm on the edge of my ability to cope and my co-worker is equally stressed. I'm going away for a week's holiday on Saturday, but I know that when I get back there will be new cases for me to deal with.

So my question is, what can I do to encourage people to volunteer with us? We've placed an ad and had an article published in the (very supportive) local paper, I've made pleas on FBs local community page and every church in the town has shared the need, but so far only one person has shown any interest (though lots of people have responded by giving us donations). I know people can be fearful of working with homeless people, but in five years I've only come across a couple of our seventy or so clients whose behaviours were difficult. Generally the majority of our clients are ordinary people who have taken a wrong turn in life or, especially at the moment, they have been two pay cheques away from the streets and now that day has come.

What can I do or say to encourage people to help out (short of paying them)? Any advice gratefully received.

JOJO60 Fri 11-Sep-20 19:30:11

You mention liaising with the local Mental Health Team. Have you asked them if they would put a poster up at work for you? I'm a retired registered mental health nurse and would have helped but I live in Nottinghamshire. RMHN's wouldn't be at all put off by any of the problems you mention. Some of the nurses, health care assistants and student nurses may have a few hours to spare. When I was a student nurse (many years ago) I worked part time and volunteered with lots of different organisations whilst studying as a way of gaining more experience. It might be worth a try. Also, find out which universities train mental health nurses or social workers and put a poster up there. My boyfriend at the time (not any longer) was a social work student and he did the same.

narrowboatnan Fri 11-Sep-20 19:41:24

Grannyactivist does the person you are seeking need to live nearby, or is the form filling and documentation gathering something that could be done remotely by someone from elsewhere in the country working from home with good IT systems? Would this be an avenue that you could explore?

susieq3 Fri 11-Sep-20 21:06:12

Grannyactivist. Do you have a local U3a.many experienced older people with time to spare perhaps.

Quercus Fri 11-Sep-20 22:23:08

Being totally honest I wonder if potential volunteers just do not want the level of commitment required of a caseworker. Having retired from a demanding professional job I am happy volunteering in a support role but do not want any significant responsibility. It may be that you need to consider paying employees for posts where there is significant responsibility.

Daftbag1 Sat 12-Sep-20 13:11:07

It might be worth contacting PROBUS , a professonal gentleman's club. Many of the members seek volunteering opportunities in their community.

trisher Sat 12-Sep-20 13:42:59

grannyactivist as you are having real problems and seem to have covered many of the things I would have suggested I think you may need to take a closer look at how you are operating. It may be that if you were able to offer some supervison and training by a qualified person you could take on case workers who needed training and practical experience, say from social work/health worker course. You might need to offer that qualified person a wage for the hours they do but I think it would be beneficial in the long run. It sounds as if you are just managing to keep things running at the moment and are really putting yourself under stress. Please take good care of yourself. I wonder have you posted on Do-it? do-it.org . One other thing you could do is advertise for someone to take over as a volunteer co-ordinator and hand the problem over to them, sometimes a new set of eyes come up with solutions. Good luck

Iam64 Sat 12-Sep-20 14:04:11

Good suggestions trisher. I've. been wondering whether a retired s.w/h.v. someone with a background in supervision would be prepared to volunteer a few hours a week.

senryu Sun 27-Sep-20 19:48:48

Excellent idea. Open-ended offers to volunteer are rare because people are wary of commitments they may not be able to fulfil