Gransnet forums

Charities

Poppies!

(83 Posts)
Jane10 Thu 22-Oct-20 13:10:45

Just a reminder of the annual Poppy appeal. It'll probably be more difficult to buy poppies this year so I looked online and was able to make a direct donation. I liked that the website form had a section where you could name the fallen soldier or soldiers whose memory you were donating in.
I have a fabric poppy I bought last year and will wear it.

felice Fri 23-Oct-20 14:59:27

Youngsters are taught about both wars in school from primary here. In some small towns and villages final year primary pupils take on the role of tending the graves in their local cemeteries. There are few which do not have them.
DD was asked by her school here is she could bring in anything from her family for a project.
One of the Algerian children brought in loads of stuff as he had lost 4 uncles in WW11.

Tweedle24 Fri 23-Oct-20 14:59:29

The red and white flowers are not just a nursing convention. Red and white flowers were traditionally the ones used for funerals, I was a ward sister and if anyone brought red and whIte flowers into the ward, they very quickly had a flower of another colour added to the vase. It wasn’t just the nurses who did not like it, many of the older patients became distressed if they saw a red and white bouquet arriving.

Callistemon Fri 23-Oct-20 15:05:33

I remember when the German military cemetery on Cannock Chase was started in the early 1960s because a group of students came over to work on it and we were 'twinned' with them.

trisher Fri 23-Oct-20 15:27:00

No, of course it should not be banned. If you think those who wear a red poppy believe a white poppy should be banned then you understand nothing about why these people gave their lives for freedom.

Personally, I think it should be worn on World Peace Day

Callistemon The point of the white poppy is it is not linked to any armed services and it remembers the civilians who have died in wars. Are you saying they shouldn't be remembered?. I grew up in one of the most bombed cities in the UK and remember the gaps in streets where houses used to be. The idea that war is just about the soldiers fighting is so wrong. Wear your red poppy by all means but allow me my white and the people I choose to honour and remember.

Pepperman Thu 11-Feb-21 06:28:26

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

grannysyb Thu 11-Feb-21 08:43:06

Eh?

Esspee Thu 11-Feb-21 08:55:14

Reported